Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

My new car is about 2 weeks away now, making its way from Victoria to Brisbane (why it takes so long I don't know?). Anyhow the build date is August 2015 and the compliance date is March 2016 with the registration in April I guess. I have calculated that it takes about 3 months to ship to Australia from Holland (yes, its a Dutch built car - I was hoping that it was built in the UK - not a problem really), so it would have arrived here in November. So what has it been doing since then??? Im just concerned that the car is effectively 7 months old already and it will have a detrimental effect on the resale price. I'm surprised it has been sitting around for so long and the sales person can't offer an explanation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not 100% sure, but I think manufacturers usually label the year of the cars production after June/July... but I could be totally wrong.

eg:
Built after June/July 2015 - sold as 2016.
Built any time before June 2016 - sold as a 2016.
Built before June/July 2016 - sold as a 2017.

I assume your Mini was just in storage waiting for the right buyer. If/when you sell it, you will be advertising it as 2016 model.

·
Registered
491 Posts
MJB is correct, when you see cars with a my15 or my16, it's not totally based on that 1 full year cycle. It's based from mid year to the following mid year, hence you can buy a my17 specd car from July 16.

I hope you got a good discount for buying a car that was 15' built. Pending on the dealership, you might still be able to negotiate a good discount on services or option parts. prior to pick up. But to answer your question on why it has taken 7 months to deliver, I really don't know why or even come up with alternative answers as to why.

AarnMunro - at least he is living on the top side of downunder :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I hope you got a good discount for buying a car that was 15' built. Pending on the dealership, you might still be able to negotiate a good discount on services or option parts. prior to pick up.
Yeah, well I'm crap at bargaining...
These are the specs more or less:
Cooper S Silver white
Multimedia package
Sport transmission
Rear spoiler
Bonnet stripes
Chromeline interior and exterior
Anthracite headliner
Led headlights
8" display
JWC Steering wheel
HUD
Chill pack
Part leather seats

List price is $54K.

After free automatic transmission offer for this month and $5K for an old Fiat 500 we agreed $41K.

What do you think?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cars with a my15 or my16, it's not totally based on that 1 full year cycle. It's based from mid year to the following mid year, hence you can buy a my17 specd car from July 16
So you don't think that when I come to sell I'm gonna lose out 'cause it's a (aug) 2015 build but only registered in April?

·
Registered
52 Posts
So you don't think that when I come to sell I'm gonna lose out 'cause it's a (aug) 2015 build but only registered in April?
You should be fine, your car is 2016 spec.

I think the some reasons why your car has been sitting around for 7 months is:

• That it's not one of the most desirable colours (I love it, originally ordered my JCW in it but changed it to black)

• The original list price of the car at $54K is entry level JCW territory, so I assume people looking at your spec would have rather got a JCW.

• One of the best parts of ordering a Mini is customising your options, so a lot of people will either look for a car with what they want or order a new one.

• The dealer has kept it for that long as they were not 'pressured' to get rid of 2016 stock until recently.

• In essence, your car is part of the 2016 stock clearance before they start shipping in 2017 models.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
You're worrying over spilt milk! Get the MINI you want and enjoy it! I have an early '15 JCW F56 & I'm proud of it. Besides in '16 some nice features were dropped....happens all the time. I wouldn't sweat it for one second!

The MINI model year starts around July I believe, at least for current models being produced.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The main 2 criteria in terms of age when selling is the '"MY" part and the compliance date. since your receiving the car in 2016, it will also have a 2016 compliance stamp so wouldn't be a problem on the money front.
There is not a lot of Mini's running around Brisbane and I reckon they will hold their value pretty good.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yeah, well I'm crap at bargaining...
These are the specs more or less:
Cooper S Silver white
Multimedia package
Sport transmission
Rear spoiler
Bonnet stripes
Chromeline interior and exterior
Anthracite headliner
Led headlights
8" display
JWC Steering wheel
HUD
Chill pack
Part leather seats

List price is $54K.

After free automatic transmission offer for this month and $5K for an old Fiat 500 we agreed $41K.

What do you think?
Bargaining is definitely a skill on its own, its having enough experience behind you to judge how the negotiating is going also have the nerve to simply walk away but deep down you really want it. The biggest part is research, knowing the answers and responses of the sales rep before you ask the questions.

Your car sounds awesome, you will have tons of fun with it. i'll keep an eye out for a lunatic driving a silver mini cooper S:nerd:

I'll be the other lunatic driving the red Mini:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also ordered my MCS back in Oct 2015, it was built Nov 15 and delivered in Feb 16. I think i read somewhere that in the US they consider that a 2016 car. However over here I think they would treat it as a 2015 model, even though the compliance plate is 2016.

Either way I never get out of my Mini without a smile on my face and I can see myself keeping it for many years. Particularly as I got a ridiculous amount of gadgets on it as well. (the HUD is awesome) Also up in JCW territory price wise, but my son appreciates the back doors :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there

My new car is about 2 weeks away now, making its way from Victoria to Brisbane (why it takes so long I don't know?). Anyhow the build date is August 2015 and the compliance date is March 2016 with the registration in April I guess. I have calculated that it takes about 3 months to ship to Australia from Holland (yes, its a Dutch built car - I was hoping that it was built in the UK - not a problem really), so it would have arrived here in November. So what has it been doing since then??? Im just concerned that the car is effectively 7 months old already and it will have a detrimental effect on the resale price. I'm surprised it has been sitting around for so long and the sales person can't offer an explanation.
Hmm, don't want to be the negative one, but seems like you've been taken for a ride by your dealer. It will always be a 2015 model (check rego certificate, it's a 2015 car, not 2016) therefore impacting resale. It would have sat in the sun for the last 4-5 months, not a warehouse. Also, Cooper S has received updates since August production (October onwards).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey MINIS - Not a problem. Have had the car a few weeks now and am thoroughly enjoying it. Cars are much like computers in that there will always be a better, faster etc model. It's not an investment, it will depreciate over time, and when I trade it in I will never know how much more/less i might have got if I chose a more recent model. In the meantime I'm enjoying it and that's what counts ��

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys,
Interesting thread as I am in the process of something very similar.
I have just ordered a 3dr MCS and was told it is a 2017 model. The order clearly states............ MINI XM72~0117
Which I am interpreting to be Built Jan17. Am I right to assume so or is that likely to be the compliance date.
I also bought mine in Brisbane ( Motorline) and it was sitting in Melbourne.
It was one of only 3 Manual MCS's already in Aust when I ordered it.
I know this a 3 different dealers tried to sell me the same car.
I was told ( and have no reason to doubt) that it was ordered for a Melbourne customer and the deal fell over so I know why it was sitting around for a few extra months and have no problems with that. I also know that if I had been prepared to order and wait for delivery that it could have been specced exactly to my tastes but I haggled the minor differences out with the price.
It get delivered on Wed 29th and I am like a kid waiting for Santa!
I will be another lunatic driving around in the Red one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts