Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have my VIN number for my Mini Cooper F56 and as far as I can tell it was built in Holland yesterday.

I am slightly disappointed it was not built in Oxford for historic reasons but sometimes you can't have everything.

Could anyone tell me how long it will take to get from Holland to my dealer in England please?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi all,

I have my VIN number for my Mini Cooper F56 and as far as I can tell it was built in Holland yesterday.

I am slightly disappointed it was not built in Oxford for historic reasons but sometimes you can't have everything.

Could anyone tell me how long it will take to get from Holland to my dealer in England please?
How do you tell is you have a Dutch mini?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm from Holland, my dealer told me that they will only built MINI One's and probably cabriolets in the near future.
My SD is built in Oxford.

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
the first letter of the vin or chassis number will be different; oxford built cars were beginning with a T for the chassis number which the dealer can get for you just before production. not sure what the dutch cars will start with-someone may know?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Strange how they are building cars for the UK in Holland. I had thought they were not building UK cars in that plant?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Things you learn on this Forum.:) I did not know the the PC and CM are made in Austria.

BMW's version of the MINI is an unusual vehicle, and it's built in unusual places. Currently, many MINIs are built in the Oxford, England plant that's most closely tied to the brand's heritage. But the Countryman and Paceman are made under contract by Magna Steyr in in Graz, Austria. The latter arrangement will end in 2016, moving some production to the brand's Oxford plant and some to a new partnership with VDL NedCar in the Netherlands.
Bringing some of the Paceman and Countryman production to Oxford will mark renewed output for the world's third-oldest car plant. With over 100 years of cars rolling through its doors, the Oxford plant was once known as the British Motor Corporation's Cowley plant. It was previously the production site of Morris Motors, Austin, Austin Healey, MG, Riley, Vanden Plas, Wolseley, Triumph, and even Honda, as well as the original Mini brand.

A statement released by Magna revealed the decision to move MINI production away, but followed it up with news that other BMW models will be built at the site. Which models Magna will build for BMW beyond 2016 isn't yet clear, though it's expected to cover up to 100,000 vehicles over a six to seven-year period. In the past, BMW has contracted Magna to build the X3 in addition to the MINI Paceman and Countryman.

Production of the Paceman and Countryman will be divided between the Oxford plant and the VDL Nedcar plant in the Netherlands, reports the Kleine Zeitung, via Automotive News (sub. req.). The move shouldn't make too much difference for MINI buyers, though there will be the usual matters of quality control, ramp-up and supply to deal with when starting a new production line or bringing in a new factory. There will be some overlap, however, with production at the NedCar plant set to start later this year.

Starting this summer, the Mk3 MINI range will start production at the VDL Nedcar facility in the Netherlands, the British company becoming the only automotive manufacturer in the world that has series production vehicles built through a contract in the European country.

Today, during a visit by Harald Kruger, BMW AG Board Member for Production and Dr. Klaus Draeger, BMW AG Board Member for Purchasing and Supplier Network at the factory located in Born, the announcement was made.

“Contract production is a vital flexibility tool for us, and our experience gathered over the past ten years has been nothing but positive. Splitting production of the new MINI Hatch between Oxford and Born will give our global production network additional leeway,” stated Dr. Klaus Draeger during the plant visit in Born.

Work will effectively start this summer, involving 1,500 employees and, by the end of the year, the total number of cars made here is expected to reach well into the 5-digit range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought it was built in Holland as my vin number begun with 03a, now I am not so sure after-all. Could anyone confirm whether this means anything or not please?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Cavemandave,

Thanks,Yes I have tried the link and entered my VIN, unfortunately it does not specify the factory it was made in.

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
Rather than the VIN I was told it was the chassis number that specified factory hence the T beginning and a short number, but I really don't know! sorry

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Interesting history for Oxford. I realized that my F56 is the third car I've owned out of that plant-- Triumph, Austin, now MINI. I feel a connection to the plant. Cool.

·
Registered
505 Posts
All very werid. I've got a 2A number and I've plugged my VIN into several VIN readers over the last two days, just out of curiosity. Two of them popped up that it was made at a plant in Germany, but I wasn't getting a vibe from those sites that gave me much confidence. My car is still awaiting transport now 9 days of spitting out the back end of some factory somewhere, so I suppose I'll be able to get a better idea once it finally gets on a boat.

On the plus side, that BMW site gave me full confidence that it's at least gotten out the door with all the things I ordered (and a couple things I'm not sure what they are - I got the hot AND cold climate "version". Dunno what that is, but it nailed where I live so I'm glad to have... that... whatever it is). And boy am I happy to see they put on the Aussenhautschutz before it left.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Rather than the VIN I was told it was the chassis number that specified factory hence the T beginning and a short number, but I really don't know! sorry
The VIN number is the chassis number.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
235 Posts
I entered the last 7 digits of my VIN number, the attached pdf is a report that is generated by the site, it shows my car was built in Oxford.

Attachments

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
The important bit is after the zeros then, the bit that start T9 etc etc the t =oxford, as that was what I was given when we did the factory tour, to help identify my car and when it was bein g made-there was a chance i'd see it but missed it by a week!
J

·
Registered
505 Posts
I entered the last 7 digits of my VIN number, the attached pdf is a report that is generated by the site, it shows my car was built in Oxford.
Fascinating... I put my VIN into the exact same site and the report doesn't say a single thing about where it was built. I have every single entry you have, but that one entire field is missing in my report.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts