Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone didn't get a cable tidy bag with their car I spotted this on Amazon and thought it may be useful especially with winter coming and having to potentially put away a wet cable.

I was looking at it for different uses but it looks good for EV cables as well.

·
Registered
599 Posts
If anyone didn't get a cable tidy bag with their car I spotted this on Amazon and thought it may be useful especially with winter coming and having to potentially put away a wet cable.

I was looking at it for different uses but it looks good for EV cables as well.
That looks good, my cable came in a plastic bag!
The ones I've seen are three times the price!

·
Super Moderator
8,221 Posts
There was some talk about L1s comiing with a bag but at some point they dropped the bag on the others as you get a boot floor-mind i now have a boot floor. But there have been some go to dealers and complain and a bag has been provided-maybe Mini have changed their mind on this-not sure-anyone with a brand spanker might help us?

·
Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
155 Posts
Mine came in plastic bags which were reasonably heavy-duty and likely reusable, but I ditched them - they add more faff to getting the cable stowed. Instead I carry an old hand towel which I use to wipe the cable as I coil it (if needed) then stow the cable under the boot floor.

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
330 Posts
There was some talk about L1s comiing with a bag but at some point they dropped the bag on the others as you get a boot floor-mind i now have a boot floor. But there have been some go to dealers and complain and a bag has been provided-maybe Mini have changed their mind on this-not sure-anyone with a brand spanker might help us?
Not brand new, late July 2021 so 5 months old.... L2, no extras.

Cables were in factory sealed bags (not re-useable) and under the boot floor.

The boot floor is factory installed with hinges and a couple of locking clips that retain it open once you lift it up.

That is what I would have expected for a car this highly priced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I picked up my level 3 just under three weeks ago and both charging cables were in sealed plastic bags, with the type 2 bag inside the black nylon Mini cable bag under the boot floor. I think it’s great. Seems to have a waterproof/water resistant lining too. I’d like to buy another one as my wife bought a new i3 in October and it didn’t come with a bag for the cables.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I picked up my level 3 just under three weeks ago and both charging cables were in sealed plastic bags, with the type 2 bag inside the black nylon Mini cable bag under the boot floor. I think it’s great. Seems to have a waterproof/water resistant lining too. I’d like to buy another one as my wife bought a new i3 in October and it didn’t come with a bag for the cables.
I got my Level 3 last March and the Type 2 and 13amp chargers were both just in plastic bags!
So they used to come with a proper storage bag then they didn't now they do again! I wonder if it's a case of they didn't have any now they do again!
I think I'll have to be making some phone calls on Monday morning!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Personally I'm not worried about bags.
The 13A charger came out of the boot the day I drove it home from the dealers and has resided on the drive in front of the garage ever since - nearly 6 months of ownership and the 7kW wall charger included in the price is still waiting to be installed - so it's my only means of charging and it's IP rated to be kept outside in the worst weather the UK can throw at it so it just lays on the drive all the time.
The other cable, I've never used, the only time I've charged away from home was a high speed charger with its own tethered cable that included the lower plug/socket which the supplied cable doesn't have (can't have because the lower plug/socket is only for 50kW plus chargers, not available at home),
If the wall charger ever arrives it is supposed to have a tethered cable so I will never use the one in the boot, whether it is in a bag or not.....
If you were delivered a car without a boot floor I can see why you might want a bag, but if you have a solid boot floor above it, does it really need to be in a bag ?

·
Super Moderator
8,221 Posts
All very strange. Some do some don't. The bag just keeps it tidy under there but I can see why you wouldn't be bothered.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine didn't come with a bag on collection (Dec 2020) and the salesperson said mini had stopped providing one, although he didn't know why. However, when they let me have the domonstrator for a weekend they made a point of mentioning the bag when walking me round the vehicle so they gave me the one from the demonstrator.

Personally, I would rather keep them tidy in a bag but with a tethered home charger they only really come out when I'm away from home.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Supply chain issue for sure, my yet to be installed wall charger seems to be a supply chain issue between the dealer (Inchcape Norwich), BP and their sub-contractor.
I can live without the cable bag but 6 months without the wall charger I paid for in the overall price is somewhat more frustrating. The "granny" charger is OK because I don't use the car much so it just uses the Octopus 5p 4hour slot and it's a high enough IP rating to be left on the drive all the time so I never need to open the boot.
If I ever get the wall charger I'll bet the tethered cable version I specified isn't, and I'll have get the cable out of the boot....

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Supply chain issue for sure, my yet to be installed wall charger seems to be a supply chain issue between the dealer (Inchcape Norwich), BP and their sub-contractor.
I can live without the cable bag but 6 months without the wall charger I paid for in the overall price is somewhat more frustrating. The "granny" charger is OK because I don't use the car much so it just uses the Octopus 5p 4hour slot and it's a high enough IP rating to be left on the drive all the time so I never need to open the boot.
If I ever get the wall charger I'll bet the tethered cable version I specified isn't, and I'll have get the cable out of the boot....
The BP chargers are IP54, not sure about the lead but I would think that like the PodPoint that once stowed in the holder the cable will be suitably showerproof.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The "granny" charger is marked IP67 !!!

That means I can submerge it 1 metre of water.

If the BP charger - if I ever get it - is only IP54, it isn't really fit for purpose on an outside wall...

The week spot will always be the plug/socket into the MINI, there is nothing to prevent ingress of water at the plug/socket interface.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts