Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone painted their brake calipers? Any suggestions as to which product to use?

Cheers

Russ

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
G2 Caliper paint Kit. Available on Amazon in many colors. This is the best I've found. It's an epoxy paint and holds up well. I used their kits on a Corvette and my R56 with excellent results. Not cheap, but well worth it IMO. You really need to have the car on jack stands or a lift to do it properly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip re stands, it did occur to me that trying to do it 1 wheel at a time could be problematical given the speed the paint dries at!

Will check out G2, cheers :)

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
No problem. Best technique is to remove all 4 wheels and blow the dust off your calipers with a compressor. Then go around the car and clean each of the calipers with the included brake cleaner and a stiff brush. I would recommend safety glasses for these steps. Once you mix the two part paint you have a couple of hours to work with it. I would recommend a better quality brush than the one that comes with the kit too. Start with a single coat on the first caliper, don't get carried away and lay it on too thick, and then move on to the next. By the time you get back to the first wheel the paint will be dry enough for the next coat. Don't worry about brush strokes showing because they will disappear overnight. Just keep circling the car and adding coats until you have the look you want. On my R56 IIRC it was 5 coats. I believe they recommend waiting 24 hours before replacing the wheels.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmmm not a job for February round here then........will maybe put it off until the warmer weather kicks in....IF it kicks in ofc!

·
Registered
18 Posts
G2 Caliper paint Kit. This is the best paint I've found. It holds up well. I used this paint on my F55 with excellent results. You really need to have the car on jack stands or a lift to do it properly and dont drive it for a few hours until it is dry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just painted mine with G2 caliper paint. Temp outside her in New Jersey was like 40F. I have a propane garage heater but only used it while painting. Easiest way to do it was to get the car up on jackstands, remove wheels, remove brake pads and reinstall calipers (so you don't get any paint on them and can paint easier). Left it over night in the cold. Was fine to touch so reassembled everything and just drove. No running, no discoloration, looks amazing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts