Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit fed up at seeing these stupid threads. The inclusion of mind, development of sports etc they are all ads for legal/illegal streaming sites. They have taken up a bit of chunk of todays new topics. These threads have been posted for a while surely the mods can dump these into a spam folder or something :(

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Thank you for posting this! I was going to do the same thing!

Mods...please block this JUNK!

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
The only way to make it happen is to implement a manual approval strategy for new members. That takes time and effort.

There is a discussion about this on the mods forum, but we do try and clean them up ASAP.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The only way to make it happen is to implement a manual approval strategy for new members. That takes time and effort.

There is a discussion about this on the mods forum, but we do try and clean them up ASAP.
Could a captcha test or similar be implemented for new user sign up? Like where you have to enter random digits from the picture to stop the possibility of bots?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wonder if it is possible to prevent any new account that has fewer than some number of posts to create a new thread with embedded links. All of the spam accounts that are just streaming links have but a single post. Preventing new accounts from posting links until say 3 posts has been made would effectively kill the bot that is being used to post this spam.

Also, on WordPress if you rename the macro the handles comments you can defeat a lot of the bot comment tools as they look for that macro on a site and run it to post the spam comment. I don't know what software is being used for this forum, but if the new post macro could be renamed, it would still work for people using the site, but fail for a bot looking for the default macro name.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The mods probably don't have direct access to what needs doing to implement this, but my company has had to re-implement anti-bot strategies about every six months when the spammers figure out our latest trick on the forums we self-host.

We're seriously considering outsourcing it to something like this:

https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/index.html

Maybe the mods can (or possibly already have) pass the problem and suggestion up to AutoGuide.com?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.