Mini Cooper Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
Totally agree dave likewise accelerating hard or bobbing over the brow of a hill they can appear bright. Just flash them back!

Reactions: Davyboy

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Totally agree dave likewise accelerating hard or bobbing over the brow of a hill they can appear bright. Just flash them back!
I like that Jeremy, "just flash them back!" That's when you actually do blind them. ;)

I've noticed that the auto-levelling also depends on whether your foot is on the brake pedal or not, for example:

When turning in to my drive, it's got quite a steep initial incline and then gradually gets less... When I turn in and stop to wait for the gates to open my lights are still shining way up high until I let my foot off the brake pedal and then they adjust and lower themselves.

I don't know why it does it, but I presume in scenarios like that you will definitely blind people - no wonder they flash you.

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
>:DThat's interesting re the dropping down; hadn't noticed that much movement in ours! YEP they blind me i blind em back!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The LEDs on our don't move, at least nothing that I have ever witnessed would indicate that, but I will check them out for sure. And, echoing Jeremy if the oncoming ones blind me I just hit the high lever and with the LED driving lights I definitely get their attention, including, but not limited to the jacked up, monstered wheel pickup up trucks with their light bars. We are low enough that the light bars shine so far above us that they are not an issue.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought a new F57 (I think - the vert) a couple of weeks ago and felt the LED headlights were a touch high and needed a tweak down (the dips were nearly horizontal - part way up the back of a car 50 yards or more ahead - and the mains looked distinctly up in the air). So I did a bit of Googling about adjusting them and arrived here.
Took the advice about going back to the dealer, but they were no help ... "They're self-levelling, you don't need to adjust them." Well, actually, the platform the lamps are mounted on is self levelling, if the lamps aren't set right on the platform they'll just self maladjust by the same amount ... but I reckoned it was going to be simpler and quicker to sort it myself, so I just smiled and said "OK".

Moving the beams down turned out to be really easy. This is what to do (and it will take longer to read this than actually do the job).
1/ Don't bother with instructions you may find about chalk, level surfaces, tape-measures, etc. You are just tweaking a slightly off adjustment, not starting from scratch, like if you'd replaced the light assemblies.

2/ Have to hand a tool - a 6mm hex key is ideal, but I think a crosshead screwdriver will work too. A flashlight might be handy.

3/ Have something to hand to obstruct one headlight. Don't put a cloth or something over it, even LED units get hot and you might cause damage. A chair, spouse, child or well trained Great Dane will do nicely.

4/ Wait for dark. (Can also be done as step 1.)

5/ Position car so the dipped headlights shine on a verticalish surface between 20 and 200 feet away. Even a hedge or another car parked down the road can work - you just need to see the horizontal line dividing the bright part of the dip beam from the dark (bright at the bottom dark at the top - if you don't have this, stop here and see your dealer).

6/ Pop the hood.

7/ Position chair/spouse/child/Great Dane to obstruct one headlight.

8/ Under the hood you should find the headlights look a bit like this:
... except I'm not allowed to post/link the picture I prepared ... so:
At the back of each light you should see a white nylon hex socket on each side of the heatsink. On mine the inboard adjusters (yellow arrows in the picture that you can't see) are the vertical adjustment. I assume the others are for horizontal.

9/ Stick your tool (the one from step 2!) in the adjuster for the light that isn't blocked. Note the position/direction (easiest with a hex key), look at the beam on the distant object and turn the adjuster half a turn. You should see the beam go up or down. Turn it back to where it started and the beam should go back again. If there was no up/down movement try the other adjuster. When you have the tool in the up/down one, turn it one whole turn in the down direction. Remove tool.

11/ Move the chair/spouse/child/Great Dane to obstruct the headlight you just adjusted.

12/ Repeat step 9 on the other light.

13/ Dismiss chair/spouse/child/Great Dane.

14/ Adjust one beam up/down a little to check they are both at the same height / get them the same height.

15/ Pack up - job done ... probably.

I picked one turn for mine as it looked about right and a whole turn is easy to remember if it needed more/less tweak. (Note that if you are going down there is no risk of dazzling others if you have it wrong. If going up you should be more careful, maybe a half turn at a time.)
I didn't bother going for a test drive, I just used the car as normal and the following evening when we went out in the dark I was able to assess the result. In fact it turned out be on the nail - the dip beam looks right and the main beam is horizontal into the distance.
Obviously if one turn is too much or little for yours you need to do another tweak.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I have adjusted ours this morning. From my research the LED lights should be set level as there is no adjustment for driving on the right (when we are in Europe for instance) the user manual also says they should be flat.
However, during PDI (Pre delivery inspection) our local dealer has adjusted them for the tradition UK lift on the nearside beam and this was causing us to dazzle both oncomming and in some cases vehicles we were following.
So I got the opportunity this morning to take a look at them against a roller shutter door at the wife's work when I dropped her off.
There was a clear lift on the left hand side that I was able to adjust down very easily and achieve the flat beam across both beams.

I also noticed the large gap between the main beams that was causing the dark "Hole" the wife was complaining about so I also adjusted the nearside beam into reduce the hole. I may have to adjust this again if they cross over beyond the target meeting point but I'm happy with the results so far.

After

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 coopers convertible i have an issue with the headlights as they only seem to light 6 - 8 feet in front of the car on unlit roads its almost impossible to see. with the main beam i can see a long way down the road .its just the dipped lights that need adjusting

·
Registered
Cooper S 2018
7 Posts
leds

Hi you could spec the r56 with xenons not leds. they were autolevelling and had washers on them due to eec rule-not sure why led s don't need this but they both need autolevelling to prevent dazzling!
The wheel to adjust comes with the ordinary halogen bulbs that are std on any of the minis, inc the f56.
Led lights apparently don't need adapting for Europe either though I wouldn't want to explain why a) I hadn't a spare bulb for them or b) no angle adjusters to a gendarme-I hope they have been informed!!!!!!
Because Zenon/LED lights are a projected beam they produce a flatter beam that does not spread out above “normal” eye-level. The beam is therefore uniform across the road. Other lights are reflected beams and historically were designed to light up higher on the Kerb-side and lower on the off-side. This pattern effectively blinds on-coming drivers when driving on the continent.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts