Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a mcs on its way wth 18 inch run flats. The dealer told me I can just fit normal tyres when the run flats wear out. However, I've read that some rims are designed specifically for run flats. Is this the case, or can I just buy 18 inch regular tyres.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Regular tyres can certainly be fitted to to rims designed for run flats and I've done that several times. Mini use the same wheel for both types of tyre, so they don;t think there's a problem either.

Bear in mind that you want to change all four tyres at once, rather than having a potentionally unsafe combination of two runflats and two non-runflats, so you want to switch the front and back wheels when they are half worn, to get even wear on both ends.

·
Super Moderator
8,024 Posts
Yes agree, normal tyres def fit on our rims, have done so. It's the sidewalls of run flats that support the tyre when flat hence the harder ride. Never mix them though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a simple yet possibly not so simple question. I am about to purchase yet another mini (long story and will be another thread something soon). I can't stretch to buying another set of wheels for winter this time round so I will be changing the tyres the car comes with.

question is, can this be done by any mechanic- or is this some thing that Mini needs to do to ensure the TPMS works?

·
Super Moderator
8,024 Posts
Hi sunster no any decent tyre shopcan change your tyres, in factmine offered to fit non mini tpms sensors too and said they could code them to the car but I chickened out as they weren't much cheaper. Simple answer any decent tyre place can change and balance the tyre.

Reactions: Sunster

·
Registered
36 Posts
Although the tire place may not be able to reset the computer. Would not be a problem if the same rim/TPMS if fitted to the same axle. Or, you may be able to set in through the on board computer. I know I just had my tires rotated (by dealer) and they had already started the process......had the computer showing that I had to drive it to establish tire pressure.

·
Super Moderator
8,024 Posts
Yes you reset the computer yourself, in car status tyre pressure, reset, then you drive off . This also initializes new sensors which you doo yourself too. I had to drive about 1 0 miles!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts