Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that after ordering, a lot of people have been given information to track when their vehicle goes into production, stages of production, when its shipped, etc. I asked my dealer about that and they pretty much told me that Canada has no system to track the car and they will call me when it gets in. Anyone in Canada have a different story from their dealer?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was essentially given NO information by my dealer. Everything I learned came from this forum. Communication from Mini Canada seems to lag behind other countries. I do know that once you have your VIN there is a sight that you can enter it into and you will get a form that tells you when your car was built and shipped. I'm sorry I don't have the link for you. It was a BMW link. By the time they gave me my VIN, my car had been sitting in Halifax for a month (I got caught in the EPA holdup). I hope your journey is smoother!

·
Registered
245 Posts
The same thing happened to me. I asked for any updates I could get and I didn't even get the VIN in advance. I understand that if you have the VIN you can use the shipper's website to see where you cars is if it has been built and is in transit. We get no information on the build process.

Canadian buyers also get WAY less choice in terms of options and there is next to nothing available in terms of accessories. I purchased all my accessories online from US suppliers.

This is the treatment Canadians get from most manufacturers. GM and Ford work the same way for any buying experience I have had.

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
The same thing happened to me. I asked for any updates I could get and I didn't even get the VIN in advance. I understand that if you have the VIN you can use the shipper's website to see where you cars is if it has been built and is in transit. We get no information on the build process.

Canadian buyers also get WAY less choice in terms of options and there is next to nothing available in terms of accessories. I purchased all my accessories online from US suppliers.

This is the treatment Canadians get from most manufacturers. GM and Ford work the same way for any buying experience I have had.
Wonder why.May be a campaign is needed or perhaps your legislation makes this more difficult for manufacturers. It's weird and totally unfair especially as you are so close to the USA and I assume they don't suffer in the same way?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Part of it likely comes from kind of a drainaway effect. Demand for a low margin accessory can be easily and cheaply satisfied by ordering online like I did, so demand never builds up enough to justify stocking it.

Part is the hassle of our requirement that all products must be labelled and documented in both English and French. You don't get to charge more for the product but it costs more to include two manuals.

We are "glorious and free" but not inexpensive... go figure.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Here is an example- not offered in Canada because the words "Front" and "Rear" printed between the attachment loops is only offered in English. I bought mine new from an eBay supplier for $70 less than list price with free shipping.

This keeps my 12 string guitar case, amp and music stand from dinging up my interior when I go to gigs.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I was essentially given NO information by my dealer. Everything I learned came from this forum. Communication from Mini Canada seems to lag behind other countries. I do know that once you have your VIN there is a sight that you can enter it into and you will get a form that tells you when your car was built and shipped. I'm sorry I don't have the link for you. It was a BMW link. By the time they gave me my VIN, my car had been sitting in Halifax for a month (I got caught in the EPA holdup). I hope your journey is smoother!
Once you have your vin from the dealer.......
Enter the last 7 digits of your vehicle identification number and press Return:
Try this link for your vin decider. It works for BMW & MINI.
http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts