Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I think I will have to change the car battery (Mini Cooper F56 2014) I have the warning message that the battery has low charge, got tested and looks to confirm a replacement is required. I suspect this is the original battery albeit the car has always started.

Now the fitting of the battery does not look too difficult and National Tyres look to have a battery that looks the same spec and I may be a further 10% off with one of there vouchers taking to £152.10

However I understand that the battery should be registered so the car knows it is new and adjusts the charging rate to prolong the life of the battery.

Can this registration process be done without a code reader as I suspect National Tyre may not have one. If you don’t register the battery and you do a low millage what would be the down side or dangers?

Any help is welcomed.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Had low battery message the other day on my Clubby, but put this down to the fact that it is being driven less during lockdown. Gave it a couple of good runs over the last week or so (all within lockdown restrictions) and the message has not come back so far.

·
Super Moderator
7,137 Posts
I would hope National Tyres have an OBD computer that will do this-many garages do these days and you can buy one on Amazon or Ebay for around £80 your self if you wanted to do it-just google it andmake sure it includes the battery reset wording-found quite a few -probably cheaper to buy one and diy than get your main dealer to do it but if this is all in ring them and ask the question.
If you don't reset it the idea is that the battery is charged at the same rate as the old one-which would have been far from at its best and hence you stand the risk of shortening the battery life-but haven't seen any evidence to this as yet.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ctec battery charger would be much cheaper if you suspect lack of use?

I have a f56 of October 2014 vintage no need to use at yet but have used on my roadster over the last few years for a once a month boost over the cold weather when car is mostly static

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help,

The car has been sitting around and getting only a couple of short drives a week and with the cold will not have helped. I have charged the battery with a charger a few times this month and the message low charge comes and goes, to be fair it has always started. So I suspect a new battery will be needed now or in the near future.

I will check further with National Tyres to see if they have a OBD computer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm with Blue al
I've had the same issue despite some decent drives in my 2016 JCW F56
Just taken delivery today of a Ctec charger - went halfers with my son so only £35 each.
I've put it on the car in AGM mode & it looks like it's recovering the battery well - I'm delighted - could have saved me circa £150!

Harry Metcalfe - the ex EVO magazine founder swears by them for his fleet.

·
Super Moderator
7,137 Posts
Yes have chargers on our cars and motorbikes-not ctek-got one optimate and a ring intelligent at £24 that appears to be equally as effective. I just rotate the chargers so all batteries are charged every other week as a bare minimum.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Reminder: using the 'cigarette lighter' adapter is not recommended. I expect it simply won't work as the car will put that 12v accessory socket to sleep anyway! Croc clips on the provided jump terminals in the engine bay is the place to be.
I haven't yet used it on my wife’s Mini as I bought it for my Boxster. It works fine via the 12v socket as the socket remains live because the charger is not down drawing any current. Hopefully will be the same on the Mini but if not will use the croc clips.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I haven't yet used it on my wife’s Mini as I bought it for my Boxster. It works fine via the 12v socket as the socket remains live because the charger is not down drawing any current. Hopefully will be the same on the Mini but if not will use the croc clips.
It's not the same on the MINI. Your image showing the 12v socket adapter is what prompted me to let you know what I learnt about this before. In case I could save you some time - got for the croc clips mate :)

[edit] (It's mostly instructions/advice I read from MINI, Haynes, and Noco my charger manufacturer that has prompted me to only use the correct terminals to charge. I've never tried the 12v socket myself.)

·
Super Moderator
7,137 Posts
Yes most definitely use the underbonnet terminals. Wouldn't do any other. Am sure I read it in the handbook. The Halfords one looks a great deal.

Reactions: ventmore

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's not the same on the MINI. Your image showing the 12v socket adapter is what prompted me to let you know what I learnt about this before. In case I could save you some time - got for the croc clips mate :)

[edit] (It's mostly instructions/advice I read from MINI, Haynes, and Noco my charger manufacturer that has prompted me to only use the correct terminals to charge. I've never tried the 12v socket myself.)
Cheers. Will use the croc clips on the Mini. Really bought it for my Boxster which gets used less in the winter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Coincidentally, I had mine done by Halfords yesterday - £167, fitted on the driveway, and the battery registration done too. They checked when I rang up that they could do it too, so should not be any surprises when they arrive.

View attachment 71697
Yes agreed, Halfords is the best with least hassle on the drive and quite a bit cheaper than Mini. How much is Mini btw? 250 GBP?
They have the tools to do it and 5 year guarantee, so technically the 2nd battery should last the life of the car. I have 80,000 miles on my battery with a lot of city driving, haven't gotten the warning light yet but my start stop never works so I expect eventually to need to change it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had my battery tested at Halfords because the stop start wasn’t working. Bought a charger while I was there and after a day of charging the stop start started to work again. I must not have been going far enough to charge it up. While I was there they said that Halfords wouldn’t be able to fit a new battery in the Mini and it would have to go to a garage instead. Wonder if them coming out to you is different to going to Halfords to get it done?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had my battery tested at Halfords because the stop start wasn’t working. Bought a charger while I was there and after a day of charging the stop start started to work again. I must not have been going far enough to charge it up. While I was there they said that Halfords wouldn’t be able to fit a new battery in the Mini and it would have to go to a garage instead. Wonder if them coming out to you is different to going to Halfords to get it done?
Was this in the store or their auto garage?

·
Registered
30 Posts
In the store. They never mentioned about Halfords coming and doing it though, and he didn’t mention Halfords auto being able to do it either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts