Mini Cooper Forum banner

Car is locked in "PARK" - help!

98K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  Terentius F56 
#1 ·
I have an automatic transmission 2015. Got into the car this morning and released the handbrake and went to change gears to reverse out of the garage, and nothing. The gear is locked and won't come out of Park.

What is wrong?

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I spent about twenty minutes trying, turning the car off, waiting a few minutes, then starting it again. The gear remained locked in park position. About three hours later I called the dealer service when they opened and they said I would have to get the car towed to them, not that easy considering how far away they are.

I tried the process again after getting off the phone with them and it worked! Just like that! I later talked to the sales guy and he said it was probably a "programming error" rather than something mechanical. He said to take the car in and get it checked out.

#5 ·
I had it happen to me right before Christmas. Just when I was about to give up and call roadside assistance, my husband decided to give it a try and of course it worked. I feel bad about saying I'm glad it happened to you, but it may now cut down on the number of jokes around here about my hair colour! Was you your car parked on any kind of a slope at all? Because that can apparently lock you transmission up. Jostling the car a little can unstick things. At least that was the explanation I was given.

#15 ·
With a nod to all of the above posts, my F56 has had the same symptoms twice 7000 miles apart with the added feature of it not shifting out of 1st gear while driving.
I found that turning the car OFF, getting out and ALARMING the car for about 20 minutes seems to reset the computer and resolve the problem. The 20 minutes also gives ME a chance to calm down and reset!

#7 ·
I haven't had any repeats. Maybe our cars were just expressing their quirky sense of humour and all is good now. My dealership hadn't heard of anything like it and didn't seem particularly concerned. If you hear anything more from your dealership, I would be interested to know more.

#8 ·
2015 mini locking transmission

Happened to me today while parked on a slope. Page54 of the manual describes how to manually release the transmission lock.unerneath the sleeve of the shifter there is a yellow button. You push it, slightly move the shifter back... Car will jerk, but then you can shift. I drove can for about 10 minutes, parked in on a flat surface and it happened again! Boyfriend came over and of course no issue for him.....seems to working now .. Tried it about 5 more times with no problem. Good luck !

#10 ·
This issue came up on another forum. There is a service bulletin out for this - some F56/F55s with older software may experience this. No faults are stored and it's difficult to reproduce.

A newer software will fix it and can be done by the dealer under warranty. The process can take several hours (grab a loaner!) since it has to reprogram the entire car, but it should fix your problem.

Reactions: BlazzO and jamesahy
#17 ·
Another one. My wife's Mini is stuck in Park in a grocery store parking lot. Had to leave it overnight so hope it's still there today. The dealer recommended having it towed in and said it may be a couple of days before we get it back. No loaners available. Not good. A serious design flaw for Mini.

#18 ·
Well, it just happened again! I was out doing errands, get in and start and sure enough , it's locked in PARK again. Spoke to the sales guy who sold the car to me and right away he said to give it ten to fifteen minutes and start up again and I should not have a problem. He made sure to say they have not had others experience this problem, but the way he had a solution for me right away, makes me wonder.

After fifteen minutes it did shift out of PARK with no problem.

This time, I am definitely going to take the car in to get the programming checked out. Never got around to it last time because of my hectic schedule and the dealership being a distance away.

#19 ·
Here's the service bulletin for it: SI M25 02 14

Newer software programming fixes the issue.

Reactions: MINIgirl
#21 ·
Copied and pasted from elsewhere on the net - formatted best I can:

SI M25 02 14
Gear Shift Mechanism February 2015
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI M25 02 14 dated December 2014.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Automatic Transmission Selector Lever Will Not Move Out of Park

MODEL
F55 (Cooper, Cooper S 4-door Hardtop)

F56 (Cooper, Cooper S 2-door Hardtop)

Produced to 10/31/14

With the AISIN automatic transmission

Situation
The transmission selector lever cannot be disengaged from the “P” position.

This can occur very randomly and is difficult to reproduce.

No faults are stored in the EGS control unit, and no warnings are displayed in the instrument cluster.

For the most part, if the vehicle is locked and goes to sleep (the light in the hazard switch goes out), the problem is no longer present.

Cause
Unfavorable EGS software

Correction
Program the vehicle using the latest version of ISTA/P.

Target integration: R056-14-11-501 or higher

Note that ISTA/P will automatically reprogram and code all programmable control modules that do not have the latest software.

Always connect a MINI approved battery charger/power supply (SI M04 08 09).

For information on programming and coding with ISTA/P, refer to Centernet / Aftersales Portal / Service / Workshop Technology / Vehicle Programming

#25 ·
Ian McNaughton

Had a locked on 'P' transmission 'failure' with my mum's Mini One (64 plate with only 811 miles on it!) - gear selector wouldn't shift from 'P' no matter what! Contacted BMW who arranged for the car to be recovered from her home however in the interim I noted that the oil level warning display indicated a low level (though that shouldn't have been so with the milage on the car) so went to investigate under the bonnet - but there's no dipstick(!?) - just relies on the electronic display which is not good really! Closed the bonnet firmly, started up the engine to check the display again and tried the gear leaver on the off chance and it selected! Not sure why - maybe when the oil level's low the transmission locks as a 'safety feature'?! The recovery mechanic who turned up (non-BMW sourced) wasn't sure himself why the transmission had locked so has trailered the car back to the dealership to check over thus we're now waiting to see what they can find. A little concerning that there seems to be more and more of these occurrences with Mini autos locking their gear selectors in 'P' so is there a problem - CPU or something else!? Any thoughts?

#26 ·
Had a locked in 'P' transmission 'failure'

Had a locked in 'P' transmission 'failure' with my mum's Mini One (64 plate with only 811 miles on it!) - gear selector wouldn't shift from 'P' no matter what! Contacted BMW who arranged for the car to be recovered from her home however in the interim I noted that the oil level warning display indicated a low level (though that shouldn't have been so with the milage on the car) so went to investigate under the bonnet - but there's no dipstick(!?) - just relies on the electronic display which is not good really! Closed the bonnet firmly, started up the engine to check the display again and tried the gear leaver on the off chance and it selected! Not sure why - maybe when the oil level's low the transmission locks as a 'safety feature'?! The recovery mechanic who turned up (non-BMW sourced) wasn't sure himself why the transmission had locked so has trailered the car back to the dealership to check over thus we're now waiting to see what they can find. A little concerning that there seems to be more and more of these occurrences with Mini autos locking their gear selectors in 'P' so is there a problem - CPU or something else!? Any thoughts?

#27 ·
See my post above - It's related to a software error and is fixed by newer software.

Not sure about the oil level though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.