Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I’m in the UK and thinking of buying a new/nearly new Cooper Sport Hatch with Nav. Am I right in saying that if I spec the car with Nav, it’ll come with CarPlay prep?
Question is - is CarPlay full screen on the 6.5” screen? I know it’s not on the larger screen but wondered if it was full screen on the 6.5” screen. Does anyone have any photos that I can see? I’ve searched online and every photo or video just shows CarPlay with the bigger screen.
It’s non starter for me if it’s not full screen as I’ve got a big screen on my current VW and can’t bear the thought of a tiny screen showing CarPlay!
Also, how’s the sound quality?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2019 Cooper Sport
120 Posts
Hi folks, I’m in the UK and thinking of buying a new/nearly new Cooper Sport Hatch with Nav. Am I right in saying that if I spec the car with Nav, it’ll come with CarPlay prep?
Question is - is CarPlay full screen on the 6.5” screen? I know it’s not on the larger screen but wondered if it was full screen on the 6.5” screen. Does anyone have any photos that I can see? I’ve searched online and every photo or video just shows CarPlay with the bigger screen.
It’s non starter for me if it’s not full screen as I’ve got a big screen on my current VW and can’t bear the thought of a tiny screen showing CarPlay!
Also, how’s the sound quality?
Thanks in advance!
Hi there,

Yes, if you spec NAV it does come with Apple Car Play and it does play in full screen. You have two options when connecting your phone to car play, either through Bluetooth (which I use) so when you get in the car it automatically comes on or via a USB cable connected to the car. Don't quote me but I believe you have to turn the sound up slightly more via Bluetooth than a USB to achieve the same loudness as when connected via a USB but in general, the actual sound quality is pretty good in the MINI on the stock speakers and you have the ability to change the bass, tone etc in one of the screen menus (There is an optional extra for Harmon Kardon speakers if the sound is important to you).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,

Yes, if you spec NAV it does come with Apple Car Play and it does play in full screen. You have two options when connecting your phone to car play, either through Bluetooth (which I use) so when you get in the car it automatically comes on or via a USB cable connected to the car. Don't quote me but I believe you have to turn the sound up slightly more via Bluetooth than a USB to achieve the same loudness as when connected via a USB but in general, the actual sound quality is pretty good in the MINI on the stock speakers and you have the ability to change the bass, tone etc in one of the screen menus (There is an optional extra for Harmon Kardon speakers if the sound is important to you).
View attachment 71717
Brilliant, thanks for the reply- that helps a lot!
I’ve seen BMW’s with CarPlay that don’t show full screen and I had doubts about the MINI but that seems perfect. I can’t see the point of the larger screen if CarPlay can’t utilise it fully

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I bought mine I went for the navigation package to get apple carplay. I also took an armrest as an extra option!
My biggest regret was not paying a bit extra to get the bigger screen package, which included the armrest but with built in wireless charging. I think there’s other advantages too (hard drive music etc.) and Mini connected actually works!
What’s the point of wireless carplay without wireless charging?
PS. I think carplay works thro wifi not bluetooth after initial setup!

·
Registered
2019 Cooper Sport
120 Posts
When I bought mine I went for the navigation package to get apple carplay. I also took an armrest as an extra option!
My biggest regret was not paying a bit extra to get the bigger screen package, which included the armrest but with built in wireless charging. I think there’s other advantages too (hard drive music etc.) and Mini connected actually works!
What’s the point of wireless carplay without wireless charging?
PS. I think carplay works thro wifi not bluetooth after initial setup!
Yes you are right actaully. Connects via WiFi.

·
Registered
2020 Mini Cooper S Sport Auto
198 Posts
I had the larger screen in my old Mini and now have the smaller screen. Thought I would hate losing the hard disk drive but now it’s great to have Apple Car Play which is full screen and proper real time traffic updates on Waze and Google Maps. Still getting used to navigating with the Drive controller with CarPlay but everything else is great. Music, podcasts, Amazon music all compatible. Also a recent iOS update shows a smaller map as well as music playing all on the same screen.
I haven’t been in my car for 3 weeks but will send some pics if I do drive it around soon.

Also no discernible difference in sound quality between hard disk storage and CarPlay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.