Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was born on July 22, 2014, Delivery was in October 2014 for a 2015 Model.

My CBS says on the dash display 07/2015 and the radio says "make an appointment for an oil change." The dealer will NOT. THEY TELL ME "NOT TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE CBS and bring in the car in October for service when you had the car for 1 yr."? Oh really ? Is this something new? What about the warranty for not following the CBS service recommendation ? Who's right ? What does one do ? What recourse do I have if any !? Thank you.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tell the dealer to jam it. It's your car and the "dealer" should do what the customer wants. You CAN change your oil as much as you want.
Sad thing is. It is the world according to BMW/Mini.
They can do whatever they want, rightly or wrongly.
If I screw up with the warranty, in any shape or form, they will nail me.
Why are they allowed to get away with what has been programmed. This was not my idea for service, it is the CBS telling me. This was the whole essence with CBS to take the guess work out of knowing when to service your vehicle. I told Mini I am done with them. Selling my car, will sell my wife's car when she is ready and I will not go back. Nobody should be treated this way, nobody.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strange, how many miles has it done?
In the world of BMW/Mini, miles/km is a small component of the servicing logarithm as designed by them engineers. So for example, distance, time and how the car is driven is all taken into account. Then the CBS tells me when I need service. Not the other way around as the dealer tells me when to being it in. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
608 Posts
But, as i have said before, and I have a degree and many years of mechanical engineering background to back me up on this, oil DOES NOT degrade when the engine is not in use, especially in a modern engine which is, with the exception of in most cases a heavily filtered crankcase breather, a sealed system.
Your oil does not need changing until 1 years use is up, simple as that. At this point BMW/MINI will "reset" the timer and you'll have another year.

The "algorithm" is mainly bollox. Primarily accounts for time and fuel usage. You may loose a few "points" here and there to letting the car idle for hours or redlining regularly, but this rarely matters much (this is where BMW claim it "monitors your driving style".

If you're bothered though, go to another dealer, or any mechanic and get them to change your oil if it will make you happy. If you're worried about recourse, write them a letter, record the postage and stick it in your file, then you're legally covered.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But, as i have said before, and I have a degree and many years of mechanical engineering background to back me up on this, oil DOES NOT degrade when the engine is not in use, especially in a modern engine which is, with the exception of in most cases a heavily filtered crankcase breather, a sealed system.
Your oil does not need changing until 1 years use is up, simple as that. At this point BMW/MINI will "reset" the timer and you'll have another year.

The "algorithm" is mainly bollox. Primarily accounts for time and fuel usage. You may loose a few "points" here and there to letting the car idle for hours or redlining regularly, but this rarely matters much (this is where BMW claim it "monitors your driving style".

If you're bothered though, go to another dealer, or any mechanic and get them to change your oil if it will make you happy. If you're worried about recourse, write them a letter, record the postage and stick it in your file, then you're legally covered.
THANK YOU !
your analogy is correct and I totally agree with you.
I will write a letter to the dealer and put them on notice that they will be held responsible from August 1 to my next service. That way I am covered on my end. GREAT SUGGESTION.

Thanks again !!! You were most helpful !

·
Registered
40 Posts
No one questioned it, I just called to make an appt , they asked what I wanted done and I said whatever you do for first service. Then I gather they looked up my car as he said theres some recalls to do as well, so I will have to leave the car for the day. They 1) checked all levels, adjusted tite pressures, and lubed latches, 2) cbs oil change and filter, reset data, 3)cbs standard scope, reset data 4) f56 m38 programmed control units 5) f56 cooper retrofit foam pads to rear side panels 6) ordered a compliance label, 7) checked my a/c no fault found, I had reported a smell initially its gone now 8) provided shuttle 9) wash &vacuum 10) Check scratching on inner door panels, took pictures and reported and polished. All done under warranty no charges.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THANK YOU for taking the time and reporting to me the details of your first service.
If you could be so kind to just answer the follow,
did you service reminder light up in Orange or Red Color ?
did you get some kind of Service Chime or Service Synbol ?
Or did it just say x amount of Km /or Date ?

I think my problem was I called and asked, rather than say my car says I need service,
but it says it in a very conflicting way. That's why I called in the first place. My mistake.

·
Registered
40 Posts
np hotrunner, I never got a warning just the date/ km service msg. In June I got a letter for the tire information label and compliance label recall asking me to contact my dealer for this, odd that when I took it in they had to order the compliance label so not sure if this is still outstanding or not. I was mostly anxious to get the oil changed and the programming update. Car is running great and now I can see the coasting feature kick in when in green mode, never saw that before.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AMAZING....THANKS !

This info is really useful. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.
This morning I drove to my dealer.
I asked the guy in service to read my fob and let me know if my car
requires service......YUP........he told me to bring it in for an oil change !
Just like my CBS says....oil change, the car is now due for service.

So much for my phone calls to service that they tell me to bring it in
on its 1 yr Anniversay in October.

Perhaps my car also needs a software update too ?

BTW. I was told in March that there was a recall re tire inflation sticker on drivers side.
The dealer had no stock to do it. The sticker was ordered from Germany. It took 3 months to get the sticker. Then I got a letter from Mini to bring in the car to have the sticker replaced under the recall program. I thought, I am not going to bring my car in just for that. I will wait until I do my first oil change.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE.....told by the GM of the dealership to IGNORE the CBS. Bring the car in at year 1 for service and ignore what the CBS is telling you. Told me that the CBS is factory set ? Why wasn't the CBS reset at PDI when I picked up the car? I was told that it is not their responsibility and this isn't something that the dealer can change ? huh. This goes against what Mini so proudly advertises, to take all the guess work out of when to service your vehicle. Somebody isn't doing their job! I don't really care when I service my car, but I always thought the CBS was a key component to determine when the vehicle requires service and not when we think it needs to be serviced?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds to me like you are dealing with a shady dealership. Either you indeed need an oil change or the CBS is faulty. Either way the dealership should do "something" other than flat out tell you to ignore the warning. In my past dealings with places like that I've found that it is best to take your complaint up the chain until you get satisfaction. I would send a complaint to MINI.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds to me like you are dealing with a shady dealership. Either you indeed need an oil change or the CBS is faulty. Either way the dealership should do "something" other than flat out tell you to ignore the warning. In my past dealings with places like that I've found that it is best to take your complaint up the chain until you get satisfaction. I would send a complaint to MINI.

i agree.
Mini Cda tells me to go to another dealer....another dealer says that they will NOT service the car before Year 1, and that I should take it up with the dealer that I bought the car from why the CBS was not reset on delivery. Conflicting opinions.

here is what the GM wrote to me.....

"The CBS isn’t based on production, it’s based on when it was put on the road, or the in service date.
We can’t reset on PDI, as that would tell the car that the service was done then."

raise the BS flag on this one.:confused:

·
Registered
98 Posts
hotrunner - Just to make sure I understand - the CBS system in your car told you to schedule service. You contacted your dealer who said it was incorrect and that the CBS should have been set when the car was "officially" being driven/in service and therefore the actual service date should be ~ 3 months later. You then went to the dealer, had them read your key fob and they said you were indeed due for service. You then go in for service and they said no? MINI said to check with another dealer who then said the same thing?

Definitely frustrating, but I suppose it makes sense (sorta). My car was produced in May of 2014 and the CBS for my first oil change popped up on August 1st 2015 and was performed no questions asked. Does this mean the CBS data for all your service items is essentially 3 months early? That is very annoying if so. On one hand, as Hurbert II mentioned, you should be OK with your oil since the oil should not have degraded while the car was not in use. On the other hand, I'm not sure why the dealer can't change the oil under free-maintenance program. As long as the CBS AND your fob is saying it's OK, shouldn't they still get reimbursed by MINI? Also, the CBS has both date and mileage info. I know people who drive a lot and their service comes up based up the mileage and their oil is still changed for free. How far away are you on the mileage component? I feel like I read a post somewhere that mentioned the oil can be changed up to one month prior to the CBS notification.

Maybe if you can time it where one of those traveling MINI techs is in your area, they could change the CBS? Somebody has to be able to change it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hotrunner - Just to make sure I understand - the CBS system in your car told you to schedule service. You contacted your dealer who said it was incorrect and that the CBS should have been set when the car was "officially" being driven/in service and therefore the actual service date should be ~ 3 months later. You then went to the dealer, had them read your key fob and they said you were indeed due for service. You then go in for service and they said no? MINI said to check with another dealer who then said the same thing?

Definitely frustrating, but I suppose it makes sense (sorta). My car was produced in May of 2014 and the CBS for my first oil change popped up on August 1st 2015 and was performed no questions asked. Does this mean the CBS data for all your service items is essentially 3 months early? That is very annoying if so. On one hand, as Hurbert II mentioned, you should be OK with your oil since the oil should not have degraded while the car was not in use. On the other hand, I'm not sure why the dealer can't change the oil under free-maintenance program. As long as the CBS AND your fob is saying it's OK, shouldn't they still get reimbursed by MINI? Also, the CBS has both date and mileage info. I know people who drive a lot and their service comes up based up the mileage and their oil is still changed for free. How far away are you on the mileage component? I feel like I read a post somewhere that mentioned the oil can be changed up to one month prior to the CBS notification.

Maybe if you can time it where one of those traveling MINI techs is in your area, they could change the CBS? Somebody has to be able to change it.
You are 100% correct with your understanding of my issue.
I will wait until October.

What I don't understand is, the GM confuses me with this statement,
" CBS is bases on when the car was put on the road."

My car was put on the road in on Oct 2014. Therefore the dealer should have reset (at PDI) the oil change CBS to October and not the date set when the car was produced in July.

The answer by the dealer GM is contradictory.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.