Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let all jcw owners know, in case you don't know..
When i received my jcw on 13th october, i noticed that the outer ring on the centre clock (the big one in the middle) is plain gloss black,which i was gutted about,as it should be the "fancy one with the white lines and the john cooper logo. I questioned halliwell jones about this,to which i was told has been discontinued due to unpopularity and looking "tacky"!!. Which i now know was a lie!
Recently, i ordered the jcw sunscreens and the matching mats from bowker mini. I spoke to the chap in parts when ordering them. I mentioned the outer ring being plain gloss black. He informed me of a bulletin sent by mini that any jcw mini built between july and october would be fitted with the plain ring,due to stock shortage of the jcw ring!!!!
From mid november,any owner of a jcw whos car was built between these dates is eligible for a "free" upgrade to the jcw ring. Iam now waiting for confirmation from bowker as to when mine will be ready. Free and free fitting.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine was built in August and doesn't have this. Initially I was pleased with plain black but now living with the car for a bit I wondering if I should take this up as it's beginning to grow on me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
mine was built on oct. 14 so I am definitely curious as to whether mine will have it. Doesn't sound like it will. I will check when I get delivery of it in the next week or so

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi fellow JCW owners,
Took delivery of my Midnight Black JCW on Friday morning.
Oh dear.......
No JCW central ring surround, just plain Piano black.
Asked my sales man why and received no specific answer, he checked a couple of older demo JCW's which did have the correct surround and scratched his head.

I understand there is a bulletin detailing this, has anyone got the hyperlink so I can show my dealer?
Might have a fight on my hands ........

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just to let all jcw owners know, in case you don't know..
When i received my jcw on 13th october, i noticed that the outer ring on the centre clock (the big one in the middle) is plain gloss black,which i was gutted about,as it should be the "fancy one with the white lines and the john cooper logo. I questioned halliwell jones about this,to which i was told has been discontinued due to unpopularity and looking "tacky"!!. Which i now know was a lie!
Recently, i ordered the jcw sunscreens and the matching mats from bowker mini. I spoke to the chap in parts when ordering them. I mentioned the outer ring being plain gloss black. He informed me of a bulletin sent by mini that any jcw mini built between july and october would be fitted with the plain ring,due to stock shortage of the jcw ring!!!!
From mid november,any owner of a jcw whos car was built between these dates is eligible for a "free" upgrade to the jcw ring. Iam now waiting for confirmation from bowker as to when mine will be ready. Free and free fitting.
Personally I agree with Halliwell Jones, I think it does look a tad tacky and doesn't really look like it should be in the cabin of this car. Maybe it would go in the lesser quality build and materials in an R56 but I just can't get my mind around it in the F56, I think it does look a tad cheap.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
To each their own I suppose, but while some things can look tacky on Mini's the JCW center surround isn't one of them imo. It's functional for one thing...with the tachometer gauge so small the graduations on the surround help see what the rpm is while driving without the use of a HUD. The solid black does look nice though, but there needs to be some model specific features to differentiate cars from one another...there are too many non-JCW add-ons available for non-JCW's.

If I bought my JCW expecting certain features they'd better be on the car when it arrives!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I want it on mine its part of the tacho feature and looks good in my view i will be kicking off if its not on and they give me a feeble excuse as to why its not there. I had issues when i got my last JCW wrong stripes fitted and a few other things missing plus messing me around on the delivery date. Had to complain to bmw in munich to sort it. Came good in the end loads of mini gear and got the black wheels for free too.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi,
My salesman still maintains that there is no BMW bulletin and he does not know why the factory has stopped fitting this outer gauged surround.
However, he has offered as a goodwill gesture to swop my plain Piano black surround foe the JCW version this Thursday.

This does not help future buyers though...........

Why oh why do dealerships not show some integrity and do right by customers.....

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi fellow JCW owners,
Car went into dealership last Thursday to have the broken interior mirror fixed which they had missed on the pre delivery inspection.
Waited just over an hour for them to tell me it was indeed broken and that they will have to order a new one, Doh!

Also told me there has been no BMW bulletin for swopping out the central ring surround to a JCW style, "its just how they are now coming from the factory" was the response to my challenge even when I shoed them the brochure pictures.

Picked my JCW up on Friday 6th November and over a week later I am driving round with a broken interior mirror and a central surround not as described and specced as I want it.
Would love to march into the dealership with bulletin hand and ....

Love the car but the old adage of once they sell you a car they stop caring about you currently running around in my head.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Irritating for sure...just stay firm & demand answers...it's your car & you ordered what was shown (re the ring)...it's a contract right? They sell the JCW ring separately but don't put it in the car at production?...makes no sense. Maybe some of the owners that don't like the JCW ring will swap you! ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.