Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm pretty new to all this and was wondering........

I live in the UK, I've ordered a MCS with LED cornering lights. Is there anyone who knows how to change the lights from the UK standard to continental Europe?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys. I read the link to the manual and i'm surprised that LED lights need no change from driving on the left to the right. Guess that is something new with the symmetry of the LEDs. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Of course I expect the hard part will be persuading the police that they aren't required. In a foreign language.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a problem abroad with my number plate with the police. Because it has a 1 in it, that everyone in the UK knows looks like an I. They couldn't understand why it doesn't look like a normal 1.

That was fun trying to explain that they are legal number plates even though on my V5, insurance and green card the 1 looks like a 1, in a foreign language.

Fun Fun Fun. Love the french.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although when I was just having this discussion with my dad, it doesn't actually say you don't have to do anything.

It just says:

LED headlamps
The light distribution of LED headlamps reduces the blinding effect when driving in a country in which driving takes place on the other side of the road than in the country of registration.

So it reduces it but doesn't remove it or change the distribution from asymmetric to symmetric??

·
Registered
734 Posts
It is a bit vague isn't it? It says what you have to do for halogens and doesn't say anything for LEDs, so we've inferred that you don't have to do anything, assuming that if you did then it would say so.

Maybe you can ask mini?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll ask the dealer about it when I pick the car up in a month or so.

Hopefully they'll know.

Thanks for the info everyone though.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've got another theory: the LED headlights are so bright that they blind everyone else regardless of which side of the road you drive on......

·
Registered
72 Posts
the light pattern from HID & LED is such that that little flick up on the left isnt apparent... which is the part of the beam we would normally cut off.

my focus with HID has a little lever within the light unit that cuts this beam down... creating a flat cut off.

the 2012 mini didnt have the same beam pattern as the focus, so i think you should be ok.

easy to check... drive in front of your garage door and check the beam... if you have a flat beam across the front of the car then you wont need to add any form of deflection to the headlamp... but if you do, then you will.

french plod will only pull you up if you blind them with light on the other side of the road... as generally this up flick of light (that normally illuminates signs and the road side in the uk), will be illuminating on-coming drivers in Europe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts