Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to change a standard steering wheel to a multifunctional steering wheel. I’m preying sure it can be done and coding is required, just want to see if anyone has done it before!?

·
Registered
2016 Mini Cooper D F55
7 Posts
Fitted one to my F55 recently, didn’t have any controls before. Now have cruise/limiter and volume, track skip and phone buttons. Voice button doesn’t work but I only have a basic stereo so I don’t think it does anything anyway. Hardest part of the install was removing the airbag which is a bit of a job but other than that it was all very straight forward. Had the car coded for £85 at a local garage as it can’t be done with BimmerCode. Changed the gear knob for a new one whilst I was at it as the old one felt very worn with a brand new steering wheel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow thank you for your reply. I have been told by a mini independent garage that he could do it but it might not guarantee that the buttons would work if the wheel I buy is not compatible with my SLZ?
How would I know what wheel to buy?
What exactly did you do? Really appreciate your reply

·
Registered
2016 Mini Cooper D F55
7 Posts
I’ve just realised you were looking at a wheel I was selling on eBay 🤣

You seem to have a similar setup to my car so the SZL shouldn’t be a problem. You can activate the right side of the steering wheel (volume, phone, etc) with BimmerCode but the left side (cruise and limiter) needs to be added by adding a module to the VO with esys so was something I didn’t want to do myself.

·
Registered
2016 Mini Cooper D F55
7 Posts
I fitted the wheel myself, very easy. Disconnect the battery, remove the airbag (not so easy but lots of YouTube videos to help), undo the 16mm bolt, swap the wheels over and reverse.
Sorry, the wheels sold now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won’t do it myself 😂. How will I find out if a wheel is Compatible? Just search for f56 is it? I’ve been quoted £130 for fitting and coding.

·
Registered
2016 Mini Cooper D F55
7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 12 of 12 Posts