Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
288 Posts
Our smart meters send data real time to their own dedicated wireless network. I actually get a discount on my electricity because no-one has to read the meter or drive up and down the road to read it.
BP could easily use that network rather than mine.
Call me paranoid but I choose not to let BP have access to my personal data.
They will be using 4G/5G so will have a wireless data modem onboard to enable that. As stated above, if the BP charger doesn't have a wireless data modem it needs to jump onto the wifi (or ethernet) to get to the internet to do its job. Handing out your wifi password does not automatically hand your personal data to anybody. It requires that someone deliberately does something nefarious with specific intent to illegally gain your data - I doubt BP know about nor care about your personal data and would not have access to it even if they did, unless they did something specifically to gain it.

Do you use a Sky box or any other internet-connected TV? What about your phone? Laptop? Printer? OK to let Apple, Samsung, LG, Sky, Virgin, Dell, HP, Canon or whoever to have your personal data?

Be cautious of course, but not belligerent.

· Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
288 Posts
Just my 2 cents, i took a tethered one and i can't imagine anymore i was considering an untethered version. With the tethered version, you just plug it in when you are home and vica versa in the morning which takes 5 seconds. However, if you always need to take your charging cables out of your trunk and need to roll em up everytime you want to leave it probably will become a nuisance.
Same here, for the same reason. My out-and-about cable stays dry and stowed under the boot floor until the rare occasion I need it. I carry a small towel to dry it off if it is used in the wet, but this is all rather a faff compared to simply unplugging and hanging up a tethered cable, whilst others can be loading the boot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts