Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Hi all I’m new here lm just about to place an order for a new mini electric and was looking for recommendations on what charger to go for ?
I went for myenergi zappi 2 after lots of research, it was the only charger that had pen fault built inside so eliminated the need for earth rods, it also works with solar/wind renewable and can be set to use just renewable, just grid or a mix of both, they also have water tank system myeddi which can be linked to the system and an app to see everything working together.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

· Registered
153 Posts
There are other wall boxes with PEN built in. The new BP Pulse box has PEN built in.

These also have PEN built in:

Ohme Home Pro
EO Mini Pro 2
Easee One
Hypervolt Home 2.0
Andersen A2
It was the only one when I purchased my charger, yes there are lots now with pen fault protection built in but zappi was the first.

· Registered
153 Posts
All of that is true in theory but doesn't work in my case.It may be the wireless strength is weak out at my garage - the installer did suggest I hardwired the ethernet port (it does actually have one inside the case and I have Cat5E out to my garage) but I suspect it is because I have configured my broadband router to only allow internet access to devices I have specified by IP address and it appears this charger wants free access to the internet before it will talk to my phone or PC.

I have no problem with it being on my local network but I will not allow it free access to the internet though my home network.
Which is probably why it stopped working when they tried updating it remotely.
New smart chargers I believe have to connect directly to internet so they can turn them on and off depending on grid demands or reduce charge rate etc etc. I'm sure I read it somewhere that all new chargers had to be smart and connected which might be why your new BP charger wants internet.

· Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for all your input I think im going to go with the zappy just need to decide on tethered or untethered :unsure:
Tethered if your charger will be your main point of charging and at home as it makes life so much easier, especially if it's raining when you need to plug in as it's already connected at charger end. Zappi is a great charger with lots of settings. If you use eco+ and set timed charge but don't have renewable source there is a setting to make sure mini locks the charge lead in eco+settings called (plug in charge) this needs to be ON. It allows charger and mini to talk quickly before putting charger in waiting mode for your time slot to use cheap rate energy from grid but if you have solar/wind power this setting might not need to be used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts