Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

· Premium Member
2021 BMW i3 - Red
799 Posts
Lucky enough to have a small garage to park inside.
My SE is parked at home for at least 15 hours per day plus I very rarely drive over 90 miles in that day.
This means the 3 pin granny charger is perfectly fine.
The £700 saving on a wall box pays for a few years of overnight slow charging once or twice a week.
It means you can’t make use of cheap overnight tariffs though. I get four hours of electricity at 7.5p per kWh. That 4 hours is more than enough to fill up when I need it. If I had to use the granny charger I would exceed the 4 hours and end up paying 39.25p per kWh. That would quickly eat into any savings from not having a wall box.

· Registered
50 Posts
It means you can’t make use of cheap overnight tariffs though. I get four hours of electricity at 7.5p per kWh. That 4 hours is more than enough to fill up when I need it. If I had to use the granny charger I would exceed the 4 hours and end up paying 39.25p per kWh. That would quickly eat into any savings from not having a wall box.
WOW! 39.25p per kWh, that is HUGE. You electricity bill must be crazy. I pay 21.34 Euro Cent per kWH, which is about half what you pay for day rate and a little over 5 EuroCent per kWh night rate (between 11pm and 8am). Is that just relatively recently that the price has gone so high or has it always been very high

· Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
602 Posts
Prices in the UK are crazy and about to get even worse next month when the mandatory price cap gets revised.
I'm currently on 5p for the overnight charge time and 16p the remaining 20 hours.
Next month the best I could negotiate is 7.5p and 40p.... and that's only for a year contract.
50% increase night and 150% increase day.
Our regulator (Ofgem) hasn't yet said what they will raise the price cap to, but it's rumoured to be way above the current cap.
I have a stack of solar panels waiting to be my late summer project...

· Premium Member
2021 BMW i3 - Red
799 Posts
WOW! 39.25p per kWh, that is HUGE. You electricity bill must be crazy. I pay 21.34 Euro Cent per kWH, which is about half what you pay for day rate and a little over 5 EuroCent per kWh night rate (between 11pm and 8am). Is that just relatively recently that the price has gone so high or has it always been very high
Actually I’m good at managing my energy use so my bills are about £50 - £70 a month for electricity even with the increase. I am all LED lights, and appliances are all A++ rated. I also do my washing, drying and dishwasher on the evening rate as they are the biggest users of power.

· Registered
816 Posts
Actually I’m good at managing my energy use so my bills are about £50 - £70 a month for electricity even with the increase. I am all LED lights, and appliances are all A++ rated. I also do my washing, drying and dishwasher on the evening rate as they are the biggest users of power.
I'm still on Octopus Go Faster 20.30 - 00.30 at 5p off peak and 13.31p peak until the end of March. With the early start of off peak we've managed to move over 50% of our usage to the off peak hours which is a great saving.

· Premium Member
2021 BMW i3 - Red
799 Posts
I'm still on Octopus Go Faster 20.30 - 00.30 at 5p off peak and 13.31p peak until the end of March. With the early start of off peak we've managed to move over 50% of our usage to the off peak hours which is a great saving.
They still offer the Go Faster tariff but at the much higher rates of 39.25p and 7.5p but the earliest start time is now 21:30 not 20:30. I still manage to use all my high usage devices after 21:30, even the air con so that I can get the bedroom cold before I got to sleep. I am on the increased rate for a year but that is fine with me as the majority of my use is at 7.5p per kWh.

· Registered
153 Posts
Hi all I’m new here lm just about to place an order for a new mini electric and was looking for recommendations on what charger to go for ?
I went for myenergi zappi 2 after lots of research, it was the only charger that had pen fault built inside so eliminated the need for earth rods, it also works with solar/wind renewable and can be set to use just renewable, just grid or a mix of both, they also have water tank system myeddi which can be linked to the system and an app to see everything working together.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
2021 BMW i3 - Red
799 Posts
I went for myenergi zappi 2 after lots of research, it was the only charger that had pen fault built inside so eliminated the need for earth rods, it also works with solar/wind renewable and can be set to use just renewable, just grid or a mix of both, they also have water tank system myeddi which can be linked to the system and an app to see everything working together.

There are other wall boxes with PEN built in. The new BP Pulse box has PEN built in.

These also have PEN built in:

Ohme Home Pro
EO Mini Pro 2
Easee One
Hypervolt Home 2.0
Andersen A2

· Registered
153 Posts
There are other wall boxes with PEN built in. The new BP Pulse box has PEN built in.

These also have PEN built in:

Ohme Home Pro
EO Mini Pro 2
Easee One
Hypervolt Home 2.0
Andersen A2
It was the only one when I purchased my charger, yes there are lots now with pen fault protection built in but zappi was the first.

· Registered
602 Posts
Well, as I suspected - do NOT go for the BP Pulse.

After a 13 month wait I finally got it installed a month ago, downrated to 3kW pending the main incoming fuse being uprated to 100A.

Yesterday the fuse was changed and BP asked for a photo, which they accepted and said they would uprate it remotely. This afternoon they emailed me to say it was now at 7kW....

Well it's actually zero kW because it's simply stopped working.
The only way to access the settings is via a mobile phone "App" - there is no local panel - and it just says "error" whatever I try to do.

So it's now turned off at its RCD in case it tries to burn my garage down.

I did NOT choose BP, it came "free" with the car, it would never have been my choice and I even got given the latest version because of the 13 month delay hoping the newer version would be better, but no....

· Premium Member
2021 BMW i3 - Red
799 Posts
I really like my new BP Pulse wall box. It is neat, well made and has worked perfectly so far. The app is good, better than the old version.

You can access the wall box remotely using an App or a website. You also have access to the local settings (like LED brightness) by using a web interface, no App required for that. In fact you don’t need a phone App to do anything with the BP unit, it is all fully accessible via the internet / web browser.

· Registered
602 Posts
All of that is true in theory but doesn't work in my case.It may be the wireless strength is weak out at my garage - the installer did suggest I hardwired the ethernet port (it does actually have one inside the case and I have Cat5E out to my garage) but I suspect it is because I have configured my broadband router to only allow internet access to devices I have specified by IP address and it appears this charger wants free access to the internet before it will talk to my phone or PC.

I have no problem with it being on my local network but I will not allow it free access to the internet though my home network.
Which is probably why it stopped working when they tried updating it remotely.

· Registered
153 Posts
All of that is true in theory but doesn't work in my case.It may be the wireless strength is weak out at my garage - the installer did suggest I hardwired the ethernet port (it does actually have one inside the case and I have Cat5E out to my garage) but I suspect it is because I have configured my broadband router to only allow internet access to devices I have specified by IP address and it appears this charger wants free access to the internet before it will talk to my phone or PC.

I have no problem with it being on my local network but I will not allow it free access to the internet though my home network.
Which is probably why it stopped working when they tried updating it remotely.
New smart chargers I believe have to connect directly to internet so they can turn them on and off depending on grid demands or reduce charge rate etc etc. I'm sure I read it somewhere that all new chargers had to be smart and connected which might be why your new BP charger wants internet.

· Registered
602 Posts
I would have no problem with that principal of internet access, but not through my home network where they can gather all my personal data.
My smart meter transmits data to a local network, it doesn't demand access to my home network.
It seems the BP charger won't work unless I provide BP with access to all the data on my home network.

· Super Moderator
1,061 Posts
Any chance you can put it on a guest network?

Or...hardwire it whilst they update it remotely, then disconnect it.

I'm not familiar with the new charger...how do you initially setup the wifi if you can't talk to it without an internet connection?

Never mind...found the setup procedure here:

· Registered
602 Posts
.how do you initially setup the wifi if you can't talk to it without an internet connection?
I had to give the installer my home network WiFi password.
It was at that point I realised it's a seriously flawed design, I mean. would you give a stranger the password to your on-line bank account ?
So as soon as the installer had gone I set the charge times using the "App" on my phone then changed my home network access password.
So now it has stopped working. BP obviously don't like me blocking access to all my personal data.

· Super Moderator
1,061 Posts
I had to give the installer my home network WiFi password.
It was at that point I realised it's a seriously flawed design, I mean. would you give a stranger the password to your on-line bank account ?
So as soon as the installer had gone I set the charge times using the "App" on my phone then changed my home network access password.
So now it has stopped working. BP obviously don't like me blocking access to all my personal data.
He probably thought he was doing you a favour rather than having you set it up yourself.

Just setup a guest network and connect it using the instructions in the link I posted. Anything on the guest network will have access to the internet, but not your other devices.

· Registered
602 Posts
How is giving out your WiFi password the same as handing over all your personal data?
Because anyone with my password can access everything on my home network including personal and financial details.
Although my on-line banking etc. is further protected by its own PIN / password, all the statements etc. I have downloaded routinely are not.
A quick scan of my location shows all my neighbors have their WiFi password protected so I'm not unique in not handing out password to people/organisations I don't know/trust.
There is absolutely no reason to allow access to my personal data, my smart meter connects wireless to a dedicated network without need to access mine.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts