Mini Cooper Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
586 Posts
Your choise but I went for tethered. I ended up with a BP charger eventually - most definitely not my choice - it came "free" with the car (14 months later) but its body is shaped with a lip at the top so the cable wraps around and then the plug plugs into a dummy charge socket. Very neat once the cable is wrapped and secured.

·
Registered
586 Posts
My BP tethered version.
The plug that normally goes in the car gets stored in a dummy socket as you see in the photo with all the spare cable just wrapped around the box.
I don't know how other manufacturers do it but this is very neat - and I had no choice anyway.
I presume with a non-tethered version you have to use the cable supplied with the car ?

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Because anyone with my password can access everything on my home network including personal and financial details.
Although my on-line banking etc. is further protected by its own PIN / password, all the statements etc. I have downloaded routinely are not.
A quick scan of my location shows all my neighbors have their WiFi password protected so I'm not unique in not handing out password to people/organisations I don't know/trust.
There is absolutely no reason to allow access to my personal data, my smart meter connects wireless to a dedicated network without need to access mine.
You have your info on an open server on your network? You should be more worried about that than a charger.

·
Registered
586 Posts
You have your info on an open server on your network? You should be more worried about that than a charger.
No, I said exactly the opposite, my home server/network is password protected to only me.
What I will not allow is BP to have password access to my network and personal data.
I allowed the installer access for a few minutes to get the thing working then changed the password so the BP thing can no longer access the internet through my server.
And then it sulked and stopped working.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had an SE for 2 months now, in the USA. You don't need to bend over and squeal like a piggy here to pay for electricity. Mine is about 9c/kWh!
My car showed up months before I was told to expect it, so I hadn't got the wall charger done. First I was charging at 110V, 1.4kW. Forget about trying to use this for daily use. If I was at home, I was charging. A full charge from flat is around 31h in summer. It may be worse in winter
Next I had a 230v 20A outlet in my car port. 3.6kW. That was bearable. 9 1/2 hours for a full charge. Finally, I got my wall charger in. 7.2kW, which is the max that Minis will charge at with single phase. US models only have a single phase charger. Now, I plug it in every two commutes and set it to charge to around 85-90% with a time slot on the EVSE. 1% charge every 2.7 minutes.
1 commute is 36miles, around 30% battery. Using the middle part of the battery will maximise life.
Charging immediately before departure also warms the battery, that will help range in winter. I'm noticing a difference in morning commute % even now, depending on whether the car charged before I left.
I also have a Tesla UMC2 as my mobile charger. The USA has a zillion different outlets and the Tesla chargers have 8 different adaptors. I made a 9th for charging at work... For US cars, the car end plug needed changing euro Tesla's now use Mennekes, so you guys are good to go. Max is 32A, perfect! Mine is actually an EU spec, which was almost free on US ebay...
Wall charger is openEVSE. This is an open source charger, so if you can code, it can be hacked to do things it doesn't currently do. It also means other people are going to add features down the line. Out of the box, I can charge in a time slot, charge a certain kWh. I believe it can also interface with other devices on the network that tell it when and how fast to charge. It can also negotiate with other openEVSE units if you have more than one, so they can run from the same supply and cable. I went for the 48A version so I would have plenty of power if I get a 2nd EV.

I would absolutely recommend having a smart wall charger, especially with the cost disparity of peak and off peak electricity in the UK. It makes charging a breeze, instead of a juggling act. A UK granny charger is what, around 20hours for a full charge?

At 7.2kW, charging efficiency from wall to battery is 90%. With 1.4kW granny charging, I was getting 65%. Charging appears to have a parasitic load of hundreds of watts that kills efficiency at low charge rates.

Colorfulness Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
No, I said exactly the opposite, my home server/network is password protected to only me.
What I will not allow is BP to have password access to my network and personal data.
I allowed the installer access for a few minutes to get the thing working then changed the password so the BP thing can no longer access the internet through my server.
And then it sulked and stopped working.
Put your server on a different password and login to your wifi. Your charger needs internet access, not personal server access. It sounds like you have it so once someone is on your network, there is no further security to access your server? That is bad, very bad. WiFi can be cracked by a script kiddy with a laptop, yes, even the current 'uncrackable' ones. That is infinitely more likely than BP building in a backdoor to illicitly rummage around people's networks. EVSEs really don't have enough processing power to spare on stuff like that.

If you are really, really paranoid, you could set up zones on a router, you may need a new one with the feature. I don't have the CIA or KGB after me, so I wouldn't bother myself. As someone with the skills to access WiFi without a password, I wouldn't do it via your charger...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Of course I could mess around with my network and password settings but why should I ?
I don't know how it works in the USA, haven't been/worked there for 20 years, but in the UK we have "smart" meters that allow us to have variable tariffs. These smart meters transmit wireless to a dedicated network and upload their useage data to the electricity supplier in real time. If I want to access that data I log into my electricity suppliers website, the data has not gone through my own home network in any stage of the process.
BP could do exactly the same but they choose to try to access my home network instead.
And I simply won't allow that.
I've jut enabled it for a couple of minutes to disable all the timers and other functions so it's now just a dumb 7kW wall socket and all my charging times are controlled by the MINI

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why should you? Because BP could have added a modem that connects to a cellphone network, but then the charger would cost maybe £100-200 more. Most people already have internet and would rather not spend money unless they really need to.
There is no such thing as free lunch.

If you have unusual security requirements, then you need atypical hardware. You will need to spend extra time and/or money compared to Joe Bloggs who is fine behind standard security measures. If that is the case, you really shouldn't be using WiFi for anything that you are concerned about, and definitely not mentioning that you are online...

Yes, the US has 'smart' meters, too. They report usage to supplier vehicles as they drive past. Makes meter reading a whole lot quicker. Drive down a road without stopping to read everyone's meter. There is a small discount to persuade paranoid people to have them. Frankly, I am perfectly happy to not have people knocking on my door to read a meter...

I left the UK in 2015. My Swalec digital economy 7 meter installed maybe 2010 needed reading manually, as did the one installed around 2005 at my previous place. So they were not everywhere 20 years ago.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Our smart meters send data real time to their own dedicated wireless network. I actually get a discount on my electricity because no-one has to read the meter or drive up and down the road to read it.
BP could easily use that network rather than mine.
Call me paranoid but I choose not to let BP have access to my personal data.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for all your input I think im going to go with the zappy just need to decide on tethered or untethered :unsure:
Tethered if your charger will be your main point of charging and at home as it makes life so much easier, especially if it's raining when you need to plug in as it's already connected at charger end. Zappi is a great charger with lots of settings. If you use eco+ and set timed charge but don't have renewable source there is a setting to make sure mini locks the charge lead in eco+settings called (plug in charge) this needs to be ON. It allows charger and mini to talk quickly before putting charger in waiting mode for your time slot to use cheap rate energy from grid but if you have solar/wind power this setting might not need to be used.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
FWIW I went tethered on the Zappi. I've found that the app is pretty good, can't find whether you said you've renewable or nor but it works well with solar. Again (as you'll have no doubt seen) there's a lip on the top and a dummy socket to plug the plug back into so it all tidies away nicely. I chose tethered to save scrabbling about in the cavernous boot in the rain when I get home...

·
Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
274 Posts
Our smart meters send data real time to their own dedicated wireless network. I actually get a discount on my electricity because no-one has to read the meter or drive up and down the road to read it.
BP could easily use that network rather than mine.
Call me paranoid but I choose not to let BP have access to my personal data.
They will be using 4G/5G so will have a wireless data modem onboard to enable that. As stated above, if the BP charger doesn't have a wireless data modem it needs to jump onto the wifi (or ethernet) to get to the internet to do its job. Handing out your wifi password does not automatically hand your personal data to anybody. It requires that someone deliberately does something nefarious with specific intent to illegally gain your data - I doubt BP know about nor care about your personal data and would not have access to it even if they did, unless they did something specifically to gain it.

Do you use a Sky box or any other internet-connected TV? What about your phone? Laptop? Printer? OK to let Apple, Samsung, LG, Sky, Virgin, Dell, HP, Canon or whoever to have your personal data?

Be cautious of course, but not belligerent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just my 2 cents, i took a tethered one and i can't imagine anymore i was considering an untethered version. With the tethered version, you just plug it in when you are home and vica versa in the morning which takes 5 seconds. However, if you always need to take your charging cables out of your trunk and need to roll em up everytime you want to leave it probably will become a nuisance.

·
Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
274 Posts
Just my 2 cents, i took a tethered one and i can't imagine anymore i was considering an untethered version. With the tethered version, you just plug it in when you are home and vica versa in the morning which takes 5 seconds. However, if you always need to take your charging cables out of your trunk and need to roll em up everytime you want to leave it probably will become a nuisance.
Same here, for the same reason. My out-and-about cable stays dry and stowed under the boot floor until the rare occasion I need it. I carry a small towel to dry it off if it is used in the wet, but this is all rather a faff compared to simply unplugging and hanging up a tethered cable, whilst others can be loading the boot.

·
Super Moderator
8,824 Posts
Good grief. I happily gave my engineer my password. He worked for a large company and I read it out letter by letter yes he could've recorded it but access to my home network gets him the internet. Nothing else. Everything is protected by multiple layers of further security which actually drives me a bit nuts. He was great and I had have no qualms.

·
Premium Member
2021 BMW i3 - Red
799 Posts
An update to the BP Pulse Home app today, not a great update! They added areas to view charging data by month and year, as you can see it is slightly inaccurate (to say the least)…

Rectangle Font Number Parallel Screenshot

Font Rectangle Number Screenshot Parallel

41 - 59 of 59 Posts