Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2023 SE Premier+
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had my Mini SE long, and I'm absolutely in love with it. But the software for setting the charging schedule is missing one key configuration option that my 7 year old Chevy Volt was able to manage:
Charging profiles based on location.

Basically, I can configure my Volt to charge between 7pm-7am at home, and immediately everywhere else. It's a great way to take advantage of Time of Use billing by the electric company, while not having to muck about with the car's settings when I'm not at home and need a charge.

For some reason I can't do that with my Mini, and it's led to a few occasions where I've driven to a remote work location, plugged my car in to the charging station, only to remember, sometimes an hour or more after I've plugged it in, that it won't charge unless I go and change that setting.

So, without a likely software fix in sight, does anyone know of a trick to not have to fiddle with the settings? With my Volt I could override the schedule by "double-plugging" the J1772 (plug it in, pull it out, plug it in again within 30 seconds). I haven't thought to test that with Artoo yet. Does such a trick exist?

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
444 Posts
I’m with you on this as it’s caught me out a few times. The best way I’ve found is to change to charge immediately when switching the car off as the schedule comes up on the screen. It’s easier to switch it back again than through the app, if I remember!

Great idea though and maybe one for the app suggestion in the support part of the app.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not sure what mobile OS you are running but in iOS you have shortcuts and automation items that can be triggered by all sorts of events like arriving at a location or when carplay is activated/deactivated. Maybe you can set something up that fires up the Mini app to start charing based on these.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Honestly I would not hold my breath but would like to be proven wrong.
Some thoughts from BMW thinking side:
1) If you are at home you really should be charging with a dedicated (direct-wired mode3) EVSE (which would include the required scheduling), the provided mobile charger (mode 2) is for emergency/occasional use
2) When you switch off the car the "Charge Immediately" setting pops up on the big screen, it is easy to click
3) Scheduling only affects AC charging; DC charging (which is always public) starts immediately (irrespective of scheduling)
4) You can't implement this in the app only as the app has to be running (and logged-in) for the setting to be passed to the BMW server & back to the car (same reason it will not work with the ios shortcuts (those only work with native apps), imagine every time you plug-in your car to charge it, you need to open the app, log-in, wait for the app to transmit the setting based on location to the BMW server & then back to the car

If I would do it (without the app running) I would change the software in the car and have an additional option say "Charge Immediately one time/temporary setting" so it doesn't stick.
Or for a trick similar to the Volt un-plugging I would use the key fob, say double press the lock button within 10 seconds of locking the car means start charging now irrespective of schedule (fat chance of BMW implementing that). I got the idea from the partial disabling of the alarm system, works in the same way (one click).

·
Registered
2023 SE Premier+
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1) If you are at home you really should be charging with a dedicated (direct-wired mode3) EVSE (which would include the required scheduling), the provided mobile charger (mode 2) is for emergency/occasional use
Yep, except many, like the hard-wired EVSE I have, the vast majority don't have any sort of scheduling in them. They're just dumb boxes.
2) When you switch off the car the "Charge Immediately" setting pops up on the big screen, it is easy to click
Yeah, that's what i try to remember to do now, and then I get home and plug in to my EVSE and it starts charging immediately and I have to go back and set it to scheduled again.
3) Scheduling only affects AC charging; DC charging (which is always public) starts immediately (irrespective of scheduling)
There's a lot more AC charging out there with destination chargers, like the ones at my workplace and local malls and restaurants.
4) You can't implement this in the app only as the app has to be running (and logged-in) for the setting to be passed to the BMW server & back to the car (same reason it will not work with the ios shortcuts (those only work with native apps), imagine every time you plug-in your car to charge it, you need to open the app, log-in, wait for the app to transmit the setting based on location to the BMW server & then back to the car
Exactly, it involves an update to the car as well (maybe they can give us Android Auto too... one can dream). Which is why I was looking for tricks like the re-plug I do with my Volt.
If I would do it (without the app running) I would change the software in the car and have an additional option say "Charge Immediately one time/temporary setting" so it doesn't stick.
Or for a trick similar to the Volt un-plugging I would use the key fob, say double press the lock button within 10 seconds of locking the car means start charging now irrespective of schedule (fat chance of BMW implementing that). I got the idea from the partial disabling of the alarm system, works in the same way (one click).
A one time only "charge immediately" that didn't otherwise switch it away from scheduled charging would be a big step forward.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm, so if schedule is required only at home and your EVSE is not smart I believe it is possible to add a timer to it some way or another.
For example something like a 3ph 40A din rail relay that is wifi/app enabled.
Downsides obviously is the cost of supply/installation (not sure if an inexpensive wifi shelly unit can be wired with no safety implications).
Upside can stop praying to the BMW gods to implement the feature.
It would be interesting to see if someone has done this, I am sure many EVs do not have scheduling build-in and many EVSEs are not smart.
If using the mobile charger at 10A (say 2.3kW) using one of those smart wifi socket plugs would solve the problem, unless it melts after a few hours :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I checked the VW app and this has a lot more options/is more advanced than the MINI app.
Using the app you:
  • can start the air-conditioning in 0.5degC increments from Low (below 16degC) to High (over 29.5degC)
  • can heat seats/steering wheel/windows/exterior mirrors depending on settings
  • can start the air-conditioning automatically when you unlock the car
  • can set the charging limit from 50-100% in 10% increments (you can set the car to charge to 80% for example)
  • can enable battery care mode which always charges to 80% except for departure schedules
  • can automatically release charging cable at end of charging session
  • when you save a charging location in the car (not app), you can save up to 5 different locations, you then can use the the app to set different charging settings per each location

1 - 10 of 10 Posts