Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
still under 100 miles...
a couple of times when I switch off I see "Chassis Stabilization Malfunction, Drive Moderately, See service consultant"
Googling reveals that BMWs have had this, with no clear diagnosis, maybe parking on a slope (I've noticed it on quite moderate slope), but potentially more serious problems with dynamic stability control systems.
The error goes away next time I drive, so easy to ignore....

·
Registered
152 Posts
I get the same message a few times a week, especially when i park up somewhere message always comes up. Took it to my dealer and showed them but like you they were clueless & said it was nothing to worry about

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Folks

Take it from a guy who had a car from new which had a tech failure - take it back and threaten them under the consumer law - they have to know what it is to say it's not a worry - which sounds stupid - so if they don't know what it is it's a worry - honestly regardless of wether the car is running fine or not if their is a genuine concern take it back tell them to find the problem and diagnose it - then fix it

Or else you have no consumer rights on your side if time elapses and then you are stuck in the middle of nowhere

Trust me

·
Registered
890 Posts
It will no doubt be fixable by a software upgrade as long as everyone who has the problem reports it and makes an issue of it.

A dealer saying "they all do that", or "strange ", "but it is nothing to worry about", without knowing the details is not acceptable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It *might* be a simple software fix, but it might also be a faulty sensor in that logic circuit. And unless the dealer knows the full ins and outs of the circuit (which I doubt by the sound of it) they have no idea if its a problem to be concerned about or not.

Pester them, for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealer called me now and wants car back for checks, will give me loaner...
It seems to happen when I use handbrake when I come to final stop, as I'm not used to automatic and using 'park'. but will have to check that theory!

·
Registered
35 Posts
So, if I read it correctly.... two people who posted here have seen the problem at least once. I've never noticed it or any adverse messages. But it is nice to have the Forum to post comments/questions on. Will be interested to hear how many others see this issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry for bringing this thread back, but I just picked up my F56 Cooper (not S) Auto a week ago. So far theres 280mi on the clock and today after work when I hit the start/stop toggle the engine didn't start and I got the "Chassis Stabilization Warning: Drive Moderately" warning.

I called Seattle MINI and the service tech just gave me the "keep an eye on it" answer, obviously very disatisfying for a new MINI owner.

Was there any consensus on how to rectify this? I would put money on the table that this will be back in short order.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2016 MINI JCW and have had it for 1 1/2 months. My Chasis stabilization: drive moderately. Consult nearest service station warning came on as well. I was told to bring it back to the dealer as it likely needs "reset." or software upgrade. I live 300+ miles from the dealership...hoping it's an easy fix as I am not driving it until we bring it in. It doesn't sound like much of a serious deal though.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
More often than not, unless this message is accompanied with an actual physical change in the car's driving, it's usually caused by software. I've had it pop up on mine (02/15 build) once when I first got it and haven't seen it since.

Dealers usually know this as a software bug and unless it persists or comes with a change in driving dynamics, it's usually not worth wasting the time. What they'll usually do is just reprogram it first, but this is a time consuming process (3-4+ hours in the programming bay) and software updates can sometimes introduce more issues so they try and avoid them if they can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the Chassis Stabilization message come up intermittently last May 2015. Dealer found the ACSM (Crash Safety Control Module) to be at fault. It was replaced and hadn't had the message again since.
Hi there. Do you recall exactly which part the dealer replaced? Was it the airbag control module in the center console?

·
Registered
1 Posts
still under 100 miles...
a couple of times when I switch off I see "Chassis Stabilization Malfunction, Drive Moderately, See service consultant"
Googling reveals that BMWs have had this, with no clear diagnosis, maybe parking on a slope (I've noticed it on quite moderate slope), but potentially more serious problems with dynamic stability control systems.
The error goes away next time I drive, so easy to ignore....
Be advised I just had this happen to me, check engine light, ABS light, E Brake light, lost cruise control and shift advisory light, along with chassis stabilization warning. The cause two small (tiny) bolts that hold the rear wheel speed sensors on the rear swing arm. Both snapped at the same time? Unreal! Thank God I was at 49,750 miles and still within the mileage warentty.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.