Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Olivier, Mayhem Mini has the Craven Speed lowering springs on Sale for $ 224.99 it lowers the car by 1.1 inches here is the pic and link.It will give the car a nicer look imho. I will go that route since I do not track my Mini it is just for looks since I hate wheel gaps. :D:D Btw I have been dealing with Madness/Mayhem for the last 3 years there product and service is top notch.

http://minimayhem.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=259&product_id=435

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hi, what are the cheapest options for lowering and F56 (mostly for style, less for racing on a racetrack...).
Not really a one size fits all answer to this ages old question. It depends on what your current suspension is and how much ride comfort you're willing to sacrifice.

If you have DDC then your options are reduced to lowering springs, if you have the regular suspension then you can go with lowering springs or coil overs. Some people compensate for the reduced ride quality of lowering springs by switching out the run flats for a softer sidewall tire but after switching out springs and tires you've almost spent the same money you would have for coil overs.

I know people who have used lowering springs and loved them and others who pulled them out after only a short time of trying to love them. Lowering springs will get you there cheaper but you may or may not like the way the car rides.

At the end of the day it's up to you and what you are willing give up, ride quality with lower springs or a little more money for coil overs.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Dr, what you saying makes total sense. The reason behind me going for the springs are it closes the wheel gap and when I sell the car the $ 225.00 do not hurt the wallet when you trade the car in. If I go with coils than I have to remove them install them into the next Mini so there is more time/$$$ involved since I let my Indy Shop do the work. I guess it also comes down to preference if you on a budget springs are good not perfect if you plan on driving the car for a while and you can afford it coils would be the better way to go.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have the sport suspension in my MINI. Would I be able to swap out springs or would I be losing performance?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have the sport suspension in my MINI. Would I be able to swap out springs or would I be losing performance?
You can but I wouldn't. Lowering springs remove most of the dampener travel to where you are on the bumpstops. If you already have the sport suspension and want to go lower and still retain performance then coilovers are your option. Lowering springs are not synonymous with performance, they're an inexpensive solution to get the look you want.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You can but I wouldn't. Lowering springs remove most of the dampener travel to where you are on the bumpstops. If you already have the sport suspension and want to go lower and still retain performance then coilovers are your option. Lowering springs are not synonymous with performance, they're an inexpensive solution to get the look you want.

Copy.
Thanks for that!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hi, what are the cheapest options for lowering and F56 (mostly for style, less for racing on a racetrack...).

Thanks ! :nerd:
Let me seat in!
I'm >100kg...I lower everything! :D

Don't buy only lowered springs! If you don't match shortened dumpers also...in a few months the original dumpers will "die"...and your mini starts to jump every ant you meet!

·
Registered
406 Posts
On that note, do you know what the sport suspension was supposed to include? I looked under my car and there appears to be no rear swaybar. I thought that was one of the parts of the sport suspension make up.

The sport suspension option has been removed from the 2016 F56 model builder on MINI USA

·
Registered
508 Posts
You have a rear arb/sway bar...irrespective of sports suspension or not

Look for the drop links and work your way back ....

·
Registered
768 Posts
On that note, do you know what the sport suspension was supposed to include? I looked under my car and there appears to be no rear swaybar. I thought that was one of the parts of the sport suspension make up.

The sport suspension option has been removed from the 2016 F56 model builder on MINI USA
The sport suspension includes medium springs, medium dampeners and a thicker swaybars. It's back there, it's buried up in there but it's there.

The sport suspension is only available now on the JCW.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The sport suspension includes medium springs, medium dampeners and a thicker swaybars. It's back there, it's buried up in there but it's there.

The sport suspension is only available now on the JCW.
I guess I'll have to stick my head up in there and see where it's at.
Has there ever been a case of a factory leaving parts off a car?

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah it's there. If you look behind a rear wheel in front of the rear suspension spring you'll see the end link. NM Eng has a PDF for how to install their swaybar, this will show you where it's at and why you can't see it.

http://www.nm-eng.com/media/attachments/375_NM.258847.pdf
Thanks for that!

I am considering the sway bar and end links here soon. Looking at this picture I would assume that a realignment would be needed. Is this an accurate assumption?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thanks for that!

I am considering the sway bar and end links here soon. Looking at this picture I would assume that a realignment would be needed. Is this an accurate assumption?
People have posted about installing this in their garage but I'm not sure if they had an alignment check or not. Theoretically since you are only removing the rear shock and spring and un-mounting the subframe, as long as you don't loosen any adjusting points, then no you shouldn't need one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.