Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Im wondering if someone can help, The misses brought a F56 Cooper S Used from MINI it was a really good price with only one real downside it didnt have LED Headlights

Ive been looking at according to the current MINI configurator Chilli pack includes LED Headlights, The car was advertised with Chilli pack and the BMW VIN decoder also says

7Y2 Chili

The only thing different to other Cooper S's is it has the additional spot lights mounted off the grill these are halogen but i doubt this would delete the LED headlamps right?

Can anyone shed any light on this? (No pun intended)

Thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
LED lights only became part of the chilli pack (UK at least) earlier this year but they did also raise the price of Chilli pack so not such an advantage.

Your car was probably built prior to this change

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
464 Posts
How old is the car led only became part of the chilli pack in the last few months potentially it pre dated this change has it got a sos button by the interior light(this is another thing included in this change)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi,

I've got a 64 plate cooper with chilli pack, media, sports seats plus self park and that would have come with halogen lights when I placed the order, but I had a rethink and then changed the order in time to include the LED's which again was another price increase. The LED's were always another add on just like folding mirrors privacy glass etc. etc.

The basic cooper or cooper s only ever came with a wheel on each corner then you had to add on everything else.

I hope this helps, just jump in and enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes sense now its a 64 plate so first of this model

Thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
The additional lamps will certainly help when on full beam, you could swap them from the halogen type to LED ones, not sure if the wiring is the same but would assume it is so just a matter of switching the lamps, they are expensive but worth it to aid visibility on main beam :)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The additional lamps will certainly help when on full beam, you could swap them from the halogen type to LED ones, not sure if the wiring is the same but would assume it is so just a matter of switching the lamps, they are expensive but worth it to aid visibility on main beam :)
I'd be interested to see how this looked with a halogen dipped beam background.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I'd be interested to see how this looked with a halogen dipped beam background.
The halogens would be on full beam when the spotlights are on!

As the OP has only got standard lights I was purely pointing out this to be a cheaper option of getting a decent main beam, the look of the standard lights could be improved by upgrading the bulbs to something like "night breakers"

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The halogens would be on full beam when the spotlights are on!

As the OP has only got standard lights I was purely pointing out this to be a cheaper option of getting a decent main beam, the look of the standard lights could be improved by upgrading the bulbs to something like "night breakers"
https://youtu.be/LNsQD3wv9kQ
Haha sorry - I wasn't criticising your suggestion, I just wondered how it would look... I guess the LEDs would over power the halogen anyway so from a drivers perspective it probably would be an added benefit for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, Makes sense now!

Its strange that the halogen headlamps seem to auto level does this mean it already has ride hight sensors so LED's could be fitted if the fog lights were changed? I know it would need coding etc

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

Its strange that the halogen headlamps seem to auto level does this mean it already has ride hight sensors so LED's could be fitted if the fog lights were changed? I know it would need coding etc
The halogen's don't auto-level, they have a mechanism that allows them to dip based on the control switch near the lights.. The typical numbers "1, 2, 3" etc.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts

The halogen's don't auto-level, they have a mechanism that allows them to dip based on the control switch near the lights.. The typical numbers "1, 2, 3" etc.
Not sure on a Gen3 but on previous Gen's when the lights were on Auto and you started the car the beam came up which at first I thought was self levelling but it wasn't, it was as though when turning off the lights parked themselves, strange!

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Yes ,Daveyboy's right'; our highgate cabrio did this-std halogens-switch the lights on against a wall and you could watch them rise up and settle to the correct position, park switch off and they motored down to a parking position. Really not sure why but i liked it! (I know, i am sad!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, I've checked on ISTA and the wiring to the LED Headlamps vs Halogen is completely different so I'm not going to try LED Headlamps anytime soon!

Ordered the "Halo" LED Fog's as a little upgrade :)

Hopefully they will land before the weekend so i can get them fitted :D Also been playing around with the coding and enabled a few little bits just need to update the HUD/Interment cluster to get the JCW HUD

Getting their slowly

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I was out in a friends MINI earlier and noticed she had a heated screen! Nothing wrong with that but she said it wasn't spec'd so must have come as part of a pack whereas mine has most things but not the heated screen.

Just shows how packs change and both our cars were brought 6 months apart..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.