Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi,
Used before and would not use again.
Poor paint match and the kits do not include lacquer which makes the chips stand out due to the matt finish.

Go for the official MINI touch up kit (cheaper & better) and spend some time blending with polish.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, thanks. I have never had much success with the official kits.

Any tips on how to blend and polish?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi Ken

I've got a blazing red mini and have the chipex kit and have to say it is an excellent colour match and does a far better job than the mini touch up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used a Chip Ex to address some scratches another driver left in the rear bumper of my blazing red.

The color match and gloss are not a perfect match, but the repair is now hard to see from more than 3-4 feet away. Before the repair, the scratches were quite evident from a distance.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi,
Paint, lacquer then plenty of patience with the polish.
Gentle blending until the lacquer is virtually smooth and flat.
Less is more both with paint and lacquer.

Interesting, thanks. I have never had much success with the official kits.

Any tips on how to blend and polish?

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
I always have mine mixed; on ebay by a fiona someone from ireland; fantastic colour mat£5 for the bottle inc brush. you cant go wrong. once you've built up enough layers tcut on a suitable sized cloth covering say a match stick to bring the paint level without taking off surrounding paint. Never found this bit easy and on one car i had a did start going through the surrounding paint so beware! Caution is the better part of valour. i've seen people use a dab of thinners to take the bulge down too but never tried this! Seems to be a dark art to me!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Brought. Touch up stick from bmw and spit on and some blob eliminator and a credit card wrapped in a glasses cleaning cloth simple job and looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts