Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi F56 forum

This is my first post here :) figured it was as good a time as any to ask for some opinions :)

So I've ordered a manual F56 S, have my options locked in and am happy with those choices but the color has me questioning my choice.

I chose pepper white w black roof, mirrors and black cosmos alloys. Seats are the black pearl. My main reasons for the PW - its a light color (car will be parked outside during the day and garaged at night) easy to care for and well, I always liked it.

But I've had numerous people tell me that a non-metallic paint is not a good choice, as it will fade and look dull with time! That has put doubt in my mind (even tho I kinda know its rubbish).

I can change my mind but need to do it QUICK, ie in like 15 hours before the order is finalised with HQ.

So do I go white silver instead? I do like the blazing red too :)

So any thoughts peoples?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi there,

Out of these three, I would go for white silver. Yes, mettalic is much better to keep clean and it looks great after a little polish however I have always had white cars and the matter of fact my other BMW is white and they are no hard to keep clean either.

I have always thought that white cars with a tad bit of black look great. I had F56 in white with black roof, mirrors and wheels and it did look the business. My current F56 is in moonwalk grey and its quite easy to keep clean.

I think it comes down to your personal choice. Do let us know what colour you went for.

And yes, welcome to the forum and have a happy new year.

Saurabh

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Saurabh :)

I'm really leaning to changing to the WS I must say! Will update you all tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
We took weeks seeing different colour in flesh we went for WS on our JCW all be it with red roof , but if we had went cooper S would have been WS with Black roof with black bonnet stripes and silver cosmos , looked great in flesh and we love the colour.
It took ages to convince the wife on WS but she's very pleased with the choice

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We took weeks seeing different colour in flesh we went for WS on our JCW all be it with red roof , but if we had went cooper S would have been WS with Black roof with black bonnet stripes and silver cosmos , looked great in flesh and we love the colour.
It took ages to convince the wife on WS but she's very pleased with the choice
I hear you re seeing the colors in the flesh multiple times. I could be found standing on the dealers lot this past Sunday for an hour, just staring at them all!

I think the WS is the color too ;)

It really is a personal choice, but also nice to hear other peoples opinions and how they came to choose the color of their MINIs.

Reactions: derekh929

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Since you already put an order in for Pepper White, I'll mention that it is probably one of "THE" classic MINI colors and I absolutely love it! I've never heard the argument that non-metallic colors tend to fade. If you care properly for any paint job it will not fade or resist fading anyway! The metallic paints are a two stage process so that's likely where that thought comes from. But, the way you have your car spec'd is absolutely FINE! :)

Silver white is becoming very popular however, and I really like it too! The best thing for you to do is see both in person in good light and make the comparison as to which one you like best. SW is a brighter white though. The Vanilla color of the PW really does it for me, always has. I have a 1972 BMW 2002tii that's Chamonix color and I've never been a fan of white cars until I repainted that car it's original Chamonix white color...which is a close dead ringer for pepper White!

If I was going to say any color tends to fade the most, I'd say any Red...Red just fades...

One thing to remember, white is absolutely the hardest color to "match" if you ever need paint work...my very knowledgeable body shop man told me this when he was painting my BMW...something I've never forgotten.

Then again, you might want to consider Electric Blue...gorgeous color! And of course I like VO and Black too! Just kidding you..I know it's a tough decision.

Go with your gut and you won't be wrong whatever you decide...honest!

Happy Motoring,

John

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'd stay with Pepper White, they always look good and I personally think White Silver is one of those colours that just looks dull when its dirty... That'd be harder to keep clean than Pepper White in my opinion.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Colour is a personal thing so you shouldn't be influenced by others choice of colours. There's nothing wrong with non metallic colours and they are laquered too and dont fade.
Also the overall effect depends on other things than the colour ie roof, stripes wheels, mirrors etc

I too would go for what YOU want.... Pepper White and spend the £475 saved on metallic on other extras. In my case Id have visual boost and a bit left towards a sunroof or harman kardon.

·
Super Moderator
8,741 Posts
Good advice from opal. I went for a free colour. Pepper white looks stunning on any mini. Just look at older r56's. No mini paint fades and any decent body shop can effect a good match on any colour or don't use them! Just get on the configurator and choose what suits you!

Reactions: opal

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
If I have to do it all over again WS would come 1st the darker blue 2nd. My Mini is at the Body Shop right now because of the Dust Storm we had about a month ago so I can give you a 1st hand report how good the shop was to blend the red in all the way to the driver door.;)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Out of your initial choices, I would go for White Silver. Looks awesome in the sun.

But...one colour to guarantee a smile every single day has to be Volcanic Orange, such a happy colour!! Not that I'm biased.......

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Out of your initial choices, I would go for White Silver. Looks awesome in the sun.

But...one colour to guarantee a smile every single day has to be Volcanic Orange, such a happy colour!! Not that I'm biased.......

Donna,

I was going to go with a VO MCS...I just loved the look (and my online build). But, when I decided to go for the JCW, I went to my typical favorite "Black"! Being an old BMW 2002 addict, the Colorado & Inka Orange colors of the 1970's have always stirred my soul....gosh, I love orange!!! :)

But MINI wouldn't let me have red accents on a VO JCW....those people just don't get it! LOL

John

Reactions: donnaj1dlh

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
.....but I can't understand BRG/red and it's allowed :(

Anything should go where MINIS are concerned, they have the personality to carry it off!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
.....but I can't understand BRG/red and it's allowed :(

Anything should go where MINIS are concerned, they have the personality to carry it off!

I don't know if I'd be brave enough to opt for the red roof with VO, but I certainly would go for the JCW black/red-lined bonnet stripes on a VO JCW (MINI won't allow that from the factory....very strange imo!).

I'm like you, anything should go!

John

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I don't know if I'd be brave enough to opt for the red roof with VO, but I certainly would go for the JCW black/red-lined bonnet stripes on a VO JCW (MINI won't allow that from the factory....very strange imo!).

I'm like you, anything should go!

John
I am still excited to see what VO with the red roof and mirrors would look like, someone needs to do some photoshop work!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I see many PW Minis with a black roof in my area and they all look great. It has been raining pretty much everyday and they do not look dirty.

Choosing a color is a tough process and I recently went through it. I think the Mini works great with any of those colors offered and that makes the decision even more difficult.

Good luck and have fun!

PS: I LOVE my EB:)

·
Registered
54 Posts

If worried about being in the sun, I would think the color of the top would make more of a difference.
We're planning to order volcanic orange because it does seem bright, cheerful and unique. With a white top.
Our second choice is electric blue. Again very unique bright and cheerful.

Glad to see I'm not the only one spending time debating options.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I think this is one of the hardest decisions on a Mini. Lets face it, they all look great, and I once said I would never have a grey car, then bought an Eclipse/red R56 JCW. You just need to see some of these colours in the flesh. I doubt if I would have gone for the blue/red combo on mine without seeing it first.

Then once you have done that, you then have to chose an interior colour scheme....... :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I personally went for all black everything but am adding my own personal touch to it now that I have it. I love how customisable Mini's are!

So to break up the black, I've added red centre caps on the wheels, the JCW Pro mirror caps (half red, half black/grey check) and then the roof will be black/grey check to match come the end of Jan when I get the balls to pay Mini £400 for the privelige!

I guess what I'm saying to you is perhaps speak to your sales person and get your customisation built in to the price of your car and then negotiate discounts on the whole thing as afterwards it seems the costs can rack up!

But I do love that you can change the appearance when you're bored with the likes of decals, mirror caps, wheels and centre caps. The Mini and its appearance is such a personal thing.

Looking forward to knowing your final decision!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.