Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we know for certain that all exterior chrome is indeed chrome? I would like to purchase a special cleaner for it but I want to be sure it isn't going to damage anything that might not be actual chrome.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I do not believe the gas cap or running light surrounds are chrome plated metal. The head and tail light rings are definitely plastic

·
Registered
173 Posts
The door handles are definitely chrome and for that I'm grateful. I got so sick of the black plastic that looks so tired and has to be Armor All'd to look nice on my previous cars.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The door handles are definitely chrome and for that I'm grateful. I got so sick of the black plastic that looks so tired and has to be Armor All'd to look nice on my previous cars.
The cleaner wax I use (FW1) does a really nice job on my shiny stuff. The harder part is making sure you get it all out of the cracks between the trim & paint.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am hoping the weather here has finally put snow behind us and I can get really polished up. We had a lot of road salt to deal with this year. That makes for ugly spotty messes. I kept wiping off in the garage and windex did work well for the quick go over, but as soon as you go out again... yuck. Chrome is made for sunshine. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am hoping the weather here has finally put snow behind us and I can get really polished up. We had a lot of road salt to deal with this year. That makes for ugly spotty messes. I kept wiping off in the garage and windex did work well for the quick go over, but as soon as you go out again... yuck. Chrome is made for sunshine. :)
The nicest day in months for detailing my car and I'm here stuck in the office pushing paper around instead of either driving or waxing. :crying:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tomorrow is the day if this wind dies down. I can't imagine trying to keep track of a tooth pick or a q-tip today. I am almost afraid I would be chasing buckets of water as much as the wind is howling today.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Do we know for certain that all exterior chrome is indeed chrome? I would like to purchase a special cleaner for it but I want to be sure it isn't going to damage anything that might not be actual chrome.
It's mostly chrome covered plastic.:eek:

Reactions: PAMini

·
Registered
505 Posts
Tomorrow is the day if this wind dies down. I can't imagine trying to keep track of a tooth pick or a q-tip today. I am almost afraid I would be chasing buckets of water as much as the wind is howling today.
When I lived in North Dakota, I used to hold the spare Q-Tips in my teeth for that very reason. And I kept a towel handy for shwacking mosquito hordes, because somehow those things could still fly in that wind...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts