Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received an air compressor where the manual states that the compressor requires a power port rated at 15 amps. I have no idea what the amp raiting is for my car which is a 2015 5 door Mini Cooper S.
Any advice/comments?

· Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
Without looking myself, a reference point is to find the fuse box where the cigarette lighter is mounted in the back of the car and see what fuse rating it is. 15Amp or more sand your safe, less than 15 amp and I really wouldn't use it. The most amps are drawn from a device is upon start up, it will probably run at fairly low amps but the start up is where the largest draw is.
A risky way around is start the compressor up in the cigarette lighter prior to fitting the hose onto the tyre, once started, then attached the hose to the tyre.
To be extra safe, even if the lighter socket is rated to 15 amps, carry spare fuses as over time the compressor can require a higher start up amperage due to a higher resistance in the circuitry (more so on the cheaper units).

· Registered
160 Posts
From the paper manual for 2014 F56, "The total load of all the sockets must not exceed 140 watts at 12 volts" so the limit is 11.67 amps. Does your compressor come with a lead with croc clips on it ? If so maybe connect it directly to terminals under the bonnet.

· Registered
1,896 Posts
From the paper manual for 2014 F56, "The total load of all the sockets must not exceed 140 watts at 12 volts" so the limit is 11.67 amps. Does your compressor come with a lead with croc clips on it ? If so maybe connect it directly to terminals under the bonnet.
Thanks, I was going to check on this and had not gotten roundtuit yet! When I ordered the new mini somehow I missed ordering it with the outlet in the back and it cannot be readily retrofitted. I was planning doing just that when I switched to non run flat tires. I already have the cable and will simply have to replace the male plug with alligator clips.

· Registered
2,212 Posts
Never even thought about this as assumed the compressor supplied was compatible!

Is the rear power point extra? Never looked in the boot to see if I have one as assumed it was standard!

And yes I know I should never assume where MINI is concerned ;)

· Registered
1,896 Posts
Never even thought about this as assumed the compressor supplied was compatible!

Is the rear power point extra? Never looked in the boot to see if I have one as assumed it was standard!

And yes I know I should never assume where MINI is concerned ;)
It used to be and I did not realize that it no longer was a standard item when I ordered my F56 along with some other formerly included items.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Without looking myself, a reference point is to find the fuse box where the cigarette lighter is mounted in the back of the car and see what fuse rating it is. 15Amp or more sand your safe, less than 15 amp and I really wouldn't use it. The most amps are drawn from a device is upon start up, it will probably run at fairly low amps but the start up is where the largest draw is.
A risky way around is start the compressor up in the cigarette lighter prior to fitting the hose onto the tyre, once started, then attached the hose to the tyre.
To be extra safe, even if the lighter socket is rated to 15 amps, carry spare fuses as over time the compressor can require a higher start up amperage due to a higher resistance in the circuitry (more so on the cheaper units).
Thanks for the useful feedback.

· Registered
68 Posts
I just received an air compressor where the manual states that the compressor requires a power port rated at 15 amps. I have no idea what the amp raiting is for my car which is a 2015 5 door Mini Cooper S.
Any advice/comments?

I just aired up my tires on a 2016 MCS with a 12 year old compressor that plugs into cigarettte power port. No problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.