Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've been two weeks now with my new 2016 MINI, but I haven't been able to wash it due to heavy rain. My car came with the Cilajet treatment, but I don't know if there's any specific way to clean the car. Do I need a special product? Is there any "correct" way to do it in order not to damage the treatment?

Thanks in advance. :laugh:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Most of these paint protector treatments mean that when it's time to wash your car, you just rinse it first with water then use 2-bucket method with a light amount of normal car wash soap. Some claim all you need is water but not sure how true that is for getting it really shiny.

I'm fairly sure a lot of people on here have applied coatings similar to Cilajet on their minis and can help you out with advice!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No info on Cilajet site?
Well, there's no major information on the site. It only redirects you to their products page, where you can buy shampoo, gel wax and an instant shine. But those products are not available where I live.

But there are no instructions on how you may handle the detailing of the car. :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cilajet sealer can be removed with some of the better pre-wax cleaner products like PS21 or Klasse All-in-One.

BTW - Cilajet applied by the dealer is an absolute money making scam for the dealer and while it's good product, it's no better than other similar sealant products on the market! Was it already applied to the car and they forced you to pay for it? Some dealers do that! A couple of years ago, the dealer where I last purchased pushed VERY hard to have me pay $1500(!) for Cilajet application after purchase and when I declined, they were downright insulting by essentially telling me I was a fool to pass it up. I did some research back then into Cilajet... And I found the company (XXPONENT) in So. California that originated the Cilajet formula. I had some interesting email exchanges with the CEO. Unfortunaely, this was a few years ago and I'm not sure they are still in business as I couldn't find them with Google today. The guy revealed that the current Cilajet product isn't even the original! The CEO said he had some consternation about supplying Cilajet with his product because he disagreed with the marketing model. Soooo... Cilajet reverse engineered the sealant and that's what you get now. The CEO sent me a small 10 oz. jar of the original product gratis and I was able to seal three cars with it. I also top the sealant with a high quality carnauba wax like PS21. The original product sells for only $30/ 10 oz. jar! While the dealers may say that Cilajet is "lifetime" and "you'll never have to wax again", it's really only good for about two years when it must be re-applied by the dealer - with a couple hundred dollar charge, of course.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Talked to a dealer recently about a potential purchase... I've found out that some dealers are now pushing "PermaPlate" sealant which is very similar to Cilajet. Same sort of scam! Two of my local dealers are featuring PermaPlate instead of Cilajet now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cilajet sealer can be removed with some of the better pre-wax cleaner products like PS21 or Klasse All-in-One.

BTW - Cilajet applied by the dealer is an absolute money making scam for the dealer and while it's good product, it's no better than other similar sealant products on the market! Was it already applied to the car and they forced you to pay for it? Some dealers do that! A couple of years ago, the dealer where I last purchased pushed VERY hard to have me pay $1500(!) for Cilajet application after purchase and when I declined, they were downright insulting by essentially telling me I was a fool to pass it up. I did some research back then into Cilajet... And I found the company (XXPONENT) in So. California that originated the Cilajet formula. I had some interesting email exchanges with the CEO. Unfortunately, this was a few years ago and I'm not sure they are still in business as I couldn't find them with Google today. The guy revealed that the current Cilajet product isn't even the original! The CEO said he had some consternation about supplying Cilajet with his product because he disagreed with the marketing model. Soooo... Cilajet reverse engineered the sealant and that's what you get now. The CEO sent me a small 10 oz. jar of the original product gratis and I was able to seal three cars with it. I also top the sealant with a high quality carnauba wax like PS21. The original product sells for only $30/ 10 oz. jar! While the dealers may say that Cilajet is "lifetime" and "you'll never have to wax again", it's really only good for about two years when it must be re-applied by the dealer - with a couple hundred dollar charge, of course.
I noted an error in my original post... It's XXPONET, not XXPONENT that made the original Cilajet formula.

www.xxponet.com

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I go with a strict scientific regimen. Wash it when it's dirty, wax at least twice a year, and use instant detailer when the fancy hits you. I don't believe in all the "Flash Gordon" modernneverhavetowaxalwayscleangetsbettermileagecauseit'sslick crap. Dealers have been trying to push that BS on me starting with my first ever brand new car in 1979. Nothing much has changed IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts