Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have <5 posts, so you'll have to Google "minimania F56 TPMS reset." The first URL link is what I am referencing from Mini Mania.

Can someone clarify the process?

If I have brand new aftermarket rims, and brand new tires, mounted with brand new TPMS sensors from MINI.... the manual talks about setting to tires to "reference values." Do I need to set the tires to the PSI mentioned on the door jamb with my trusty pressure gauge, and only then reset the TPMS and drive around a bit?

On my current MINI, I've never done such a thing, just make sure there is a decent amount of air in the tires and drive off and the TPMS system figures everything out, and I can set the PSI to whatever I want after the fact with my pressure gauge. Wondering if the system on the F56 is different.

Thanks.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Your first suggestion sounds about right, inflate them to what they should be, do the reset and drive for a few miles for them to register the pressures.

You could also use your existing method, the tpms will still get the reading but if your tyres are way too high/low, when you correct them the car will tell you there's a potential problem and you'll have to do the reset again as it will see a large difference in the pressure.

When I fitted my winters, I just picked them up from the dealer and swapped them myself, not thinking to check the pressure. When I did the reset they were way too high, so I corrected without the reset and a few miles down the road it crapped itself&#55357;&#56836;

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Resetting the sensors is basically calibrating the sensors to register what the normal tire pressure is they should be monitoring. That's why it's important to get the tires to the correct pressure before you reset them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, what do you define as "Correct" pressure then? I may like to run 35PSI, you may like 38PSI, ya know? Or is it just fall within a "normal" range before you reset?

Resetting the sensors is basically calibrating the sensors to register what the normal tire pressure is they should be monitoring. That's why it's important to get the tires to the correct pressure before you reset them.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Correct would be the recommended pressure for that size from the manufacturer, but for the sake of this If you like 35 psi, then we'll take 35 as the standard. All the tpms is worried about is a big change in pressure from this standard value.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ok, what do you define as "Correct" pressure then? I may like to run 35PSI, you may like 38PSI, ya know? Or is it just fall within a "normal" range before you reset?
Correct would be the recommended pressure for that size from the manufacturer, but for the sake of this If you like 35 psi, then we'll take 35 as the standard. All the tpms is worried about is a big change in pressure from this standard value.
Like mikeswagon said, the "correct" tire pressure is the one your tire manufacturer recommends and if you're on stock tires, the "correct" psi is found on the sticker on the driver's side door frame.

You can, of course set them at whatever pressure you want - they have no preset psi due to differences in wheel size, tire size, GWVR, etc. - hence why a reset is needed. They are merely designed to alert the driver if the tire pressures go above/below a certain threshold away from the set value.

Reactions: jeremybingham
1 - 6 of 6 Posts