Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I turn the engine on in my mcs the automatic climate control/air conditioning system comes on regardless of whether I put it off previously. Since I tend to open the windows a lot this is a constant source of annoyance for me as I only tend to notice later and I know more fuel is consumed when the system is on.

Is it not possible to have it on only when I turn it on. I guess some will suggest I just stick with the climate control set at about 19c and leave it at that but I just prefer fresh air unless during winter or on the motorway. I had the same issue with my previous bmw. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
Mine doesn't come on if I leave it off its off next drive. Yours sounds v odd. Is there a menu setting or something?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Mine doesnt do this either, is it a country setting - where in the world are you. Only other suggestion would be to check the car settings in the menu

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh sorry I'm in london so its uk spec. Being the sole driver I only use one key so its not a case of different profiles either. While the engine is still running I turn the climate control knob all the way anticlockwise till the lights go out on all 3 rotary dials. And then next time I start up voila the whole shebang comes on again, argghhhh!!

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
I think you need to press the air con button so the green light goes out. The one on the row of switches with the headed seats and screen controls plus the recirculation button. That's what I do and it goes off and stays off but fiddle with the temp controls and the car will just remember what you had last!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you need to press the air con button so the green light goes out. The one on the row of switches with the headed seats and screen controls plus the recirculation button. That's what I do and it goes off and stays off but fiddle with the temp controls and the car will just remember what you had last!

Ok cheers I'll give it a try. I'm ready to try anything, well almost anything ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
And of course if you press the auto button on the round dial switch it off then on again the ac comes on by default. Just use the switch labelled a/c to switch it off again permanently

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've got a related question... now that it's cool and wet my windows sometimes start steaming up as I'm driving. I give it a blast of "window defrost" and that clears it quickly, but seems quite aggressive (full blast fans, noisy).

I've tried the manual air distribution and I think the little up arrow there is supposed to be for windows, but it doesn't seem very effective (especially on side windows).

What's the best way to stop the windows misting up without activating the wind tunnel?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Could I also ask,

Does the automatic climate control fan speed change when in Auto.

I have never seen the green air flow auto intensity LED change position or do you have to rotate the knob manualy to increase or decrease the air flow.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've got a related question... now that it's cool and wet my windows sometimes start steaming up as I'm driving. I give it a blast of "window defrost" and that clears it quickly, but seems quite aggressive (full blast fans, noisy).

I've tried the manual air distribution and I think the little up arrow there is supposed to be for windows, but it doesn't seem very effective (especially on side windows).

What's the best way to stop the windows misting up without activating the wind tunnel?
just put the air con on normally without using the defrost or max air con. with the fan directed to the windows (the up arrow) the dry air will quickly demist the windows. you can also use the air con with heat - its a common misconception that air con is only for when its hot - to maintain a dry atmosphere when its cold & wet

·
Registered
998 Posts
Could I also ask,

Does the automatic climate control fan speed change when in Auto.

I have never seen the green air flow auto intensity LED change position or do you have to rotate the knob manualy to increase or decrease the air flow.
yes and no! if the temperature you set is lower than current ambient temperature then it will speed up the fan to cool down the interior to the displayed temperature as quickly as it can. If the temperature you set is higher than ambient then it doesn't do this - you can manually adjust the fan speed but if you don't touch anything it will maintain the fan speed to gently bring the interior temperature up to what is set on the display.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for that.

It's strange how the fan doesn't speed up for heating if the outside temp is lower than the set point. So in the winter it could take a while to get the cabin warm.

·
Registered
998 Posts
it could but you have the option on heat mode to increase the fan speed. it would be better if you could reduce the fan speed on cool mode as well

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks Hat. I played a bit more and I can do what I want in a couple of ways... your suggestion directing the flow using just the up arrow, then adjust the fan as required, is one way. Or I can use the defrost setting and then just turn the fan down. Both give a similar flow through the vents to the side windows.

Having the flow to the up arrow in conjunction with anything else is less effective... the air gets spread over too many outlets. As you change the direction you can hear the internal baffles and things moving to direct the flow.

·
Registered
508 Posts
In my quaint old second generation Roadster, I need to use the air conditioning after switching off the hurricane defroster - the air con dries out the incoming air, so stops misting up instantly. It seems odd switching on air con in colder weather, but the auto keeps the temperature right.

The auto control could really do with two defrost buttons - one hurricane and the other a 'defrost maintenance' setting that bleeds more air to the screen.

·
Registered
167 Posts
THANK YOU!!!!

It's been driving me NUTS!

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
Hooray well done cosmic. Glad to help . I keep finding stuff out all the time. I'd not worked out the unlock button is on the door handle! Lots of tech on this car = lots to learn apparently the button next to the ac button has two recirculation modes auto and manual. The auto is supposed to detect pollutants. Hard to tell if that works or not! But the farmers manure wagon this am needed an urgent move to manual!
By the way anyone know why the screen on my media xl equipped Cooper doesn't always do the swirling mini thing but goes straight to the function last on. But sometimes it does? Perhaps needs a new thread?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont think so, when you restart it , it should have the same climate temperature as you logged of. I think there should be some menu setting on it. Please check the manual if you are not finding any direct option. Get in touch with some professionals, may be they help you with some good suggestions.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts