Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 F55 and have been driving it happily for several years without problems. I got it into my head recently that I really would like CarPlay, so I bought one of those kits from China, watched a bunch of YouTube videos, and spent a Sunday morning removing the headunit, wiring everything up, carefully tucking everything back into place, and it worked! You can easily switch between the CarPlay screen and the stock Mini screens by holding down the menu button, the reverse camera kicks in when needed and then reverts to CarPlay, and everything seems to be working normally when driving the car and with all the other electronics.

I was relieved not to have broken anything in the process of installing the CarPlay unit... until I noticed that the clock showed --:-- and every time I start the car the speedo screen shows "Set time and date" with the warning triangle (see photo). When I go to the menu where you set the time (in the stock Mini screens, not CarPlay) I can enter the time and date, but as soon as I exit that menu it resets to blanks. Strangely, it will store the date format if I change that, but it won't store the date itself. All the other settings seem fine, and everything else seems to be working normally. Curiously, the only other thing that isn't working as it was before is the speed warning function. I used to have it set at 75, but now it's stuck at 6 (see second photo), and it won't save any changes there either. Not sure how these two things are connected, and different from all the other settings.

While setting up the CarPlay unit I had disconnected the battery, and it was disconnected for several hours while I carefully wired everything up and put it back in place, so I figured maybe something needed to be recharged. I've been driving it for several weeks in this condition now, and the clock still won't set. I thought maybe I tripped a fuse, but can't figure out which fuse is responsible for the clock. After reading some forums here and elsewhere, I thought maybe the battery needed to be re-registered, so I tried that too (via Bimmerlink). Still no luck.

Any ideas on what's going on here and how to fix it? Does the clock have an auxiliary battery somewhere to hold the time when the car is off, and if so, where is it and how do I recharge/replace it? Any leads on which fuse might be responsible for the clock?

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you move the fiber connection on the quad lock?
I didn't move the fiber connection. From what I read/saw on YouTube that was only needed for the backup camera in some circumstances, and since the camera (and everything else other than the clock) appeared to be working without me having done anything with the fiber, I didn't do anything with it.

Is the fiber likely to have something to do with the clock?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea it does. I had this issue when i was driving without a headunit. The kombi gets this info from the fiber cable
Wow, that never would have occurred to me! Guess I'm removing the headunit again this weekend and sorting out the fiber connections. Will report back here if it solves the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you @navwizard and @empo - what you suggested was exactly right! This evening I removed the headunit again, moved the fiber optic cable harness to the other quadlock, and everything is now working properly. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts