Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys! So I have a mini problem... whenever I drive my mini cooper around a corner, turning right, my clutch pedal falls after pushing it in. Also whenever I am at a halt and I need to engage into 1st gear, sometimes it engages without a problem, but sometimes it pops out of gear!! :mad:

I replaced my slave cylinder! Bleed the clutch like 100000X times! but still no results! could this be my master cylinder? also the last time I bleed my clutch, i took the slave cylinder out and bleed it by opening the bleeder valve, pushing in the slave and closing it, then repeat, like 100 times, seriously.. but i noticed that really small air bubbles kept coming out, and i could not take it all out.. anyways then i took a long hose, placed it on the salve and pumped fluid from the reservoir to the slave making the air go up and out of the system. I tried vacuum bleeding, hand bleeding, reverse bleeding, and I cant fix the issue!

I really like the MINI Coopers and now this is making me change my mind! i was about to buy some performance parts, and go crazy on it, but i cant fix the darn clutch!!! please help me! :crying:

· Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Not knowing what car you have, I've gotta ask if you've had you engine checked for the bearing recall. What you're describing is one of the symptoms of the crankshaft doing something other than rotating.

· Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I don't know where you're located, but in the US the original recall was for 2014 through mid 2015 for the two liter motors. Yours falls in that group. They should inspect the bearings and depending on damage replace either the bearing or the motor. In my case (7/2014 build) the bearing surfaces on the crankshaft were scored so badly that they replaced the motor. I never had any symptoms, but the dealer called to bring the car in to get it checked out. If in fact this is your problem, you will probably be getting a new motor too. There are a couple of lengthy threads on this forum that go into more detail.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I brought it to mini, and they gave me a loaner car. Said they will check to see if it just needs a bearing or if the engine has to be replaced!

In any case I got a 2017 mini clubman S for a loaner.. slow as heck!! I'm so happy I bought a f56 instead of the f54!!

Anyways they will call me tonight and notify me what needs to happen, I'll reply to what's gonna be my solution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are joking f54 s clubman slow? Ours feels like a rocketship. O-60 in 7.2 feels conservative. Is yours a cooper or cooper s?

Well I think it's the automatic transmission and the fact that it has all4 that makes it feels slow. It is an S. Its not super slow, but if I had a drag race between mine and this, mine would win in a long shot!

But it's not bad!!! It's super comfortable, really quiet on the highway, and super soft on the bumps, also super nice on the Wisconsin snow here with the All4!! This car feels like our 2016 Lexus es350!! No kidding!! I kind of want one, if I start a family!! Super practice!

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyways update on the mini! I went into the dealership and they showed me my bearing and it was like 100 more miles until my engine would bust!!! I'm soooo happy you guys told me to contact Mini for a recall!!! If you have a Mini Cooper manual, contact your local Mini dealer and ask if there is a crankshaft recall on it!! I was in luck that I called and brought it in!! Thank you guys!!! And since it was a pretty bad wear, they will replace my engine under recall and give me 2 years warranty on the engine.

But it will take a whole week to fix this issue since they need to order and new engine.. but I have the clubman as a loaner car.. not to bad of a trade off!

I will do a update when I get my f56 back and see if that helped my clutch pedal!

· Registered
4,868 Posts
Sam glad too hear that your car is in good hands and the Dealer is taking care of it without a fuzz. I know it is a bummer but in the end everything will be fine. I also brought my Mini in right away when I heard funny noises when i hit the clutch pedal.

· Super Moderator
8,904 Posts
Thats great re the new e gine but very bad news that this issue now seems to affect the 1.5 petrol too. I woinder what is going on at the engine plant?!!! Didnt realise you had the 4x4 auto .its a fair bit heavier so yes will feel slow. The 1.5 isacracker. Still miss it! Sometimes!

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I got my car back today, and it did well!! My clutch feels so good now, it sprigs back like it should, and never falls, at least not yet.. but I did notice that somtimes when I'm at full stop, I go to engage into 1st gear, and I try driving off, but it's not engaged, so it grids the gears a tad, but I press my pedal again and it does engage........ could it be because my first gear is messed up? Or probably air in the master cylinder.. because it only does it somtimes, not all the time..

· Registered
1,177 Posts
Well I got my car back today, and it did well!! My clutch feels so good now, it sprigs back like it should, and never falls, at least not yet.. but I did notice that somtimes when I'm at full stop, I go to engage into 1st gear, and I try driving off, but it's not engaged, so it grids the gears a tad, but I press my pedal again and it does engage........ could it be because my first gear is messed up? Or probably air in the master cylinder.. because it only does it somtimes, not all the time..

I have found the first gear notch to be kind of squirrelly. It took me a while before I stopped putting the thing into reverse at traffic lights and scaring the crap out of the people behind me.

Every now and then it just won't go solidly into first. This happens when auto-stop has occurred; if I try to slot the shifter into first, it hits some internal obstruction and doesn't go in all the way. No amount of panicked shoving will get the shifter to go where it needs to go. If you let up on the clutch, I imagine it would grind the gears, that may be what's going on with your car.

The solution is to put it in neutral, lift off the clutch (to spin the guilty the tranny components into a new orientation), and reslot to first. Works with no issues.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have found the first gear notch to be kind of squirrelly. It took me a while before I stopped putting the thing into reverse at traffic lights and scaring the crap out of the people behind me.

Every now and then it just won't go solidly into first. This happens when auto-stop has occurred; if I try to slot the shifter into first, it hits some internal obstruction and doesn't go in all the way. No amount of panicked shoving will get the shifter to go where it needs to go. If you let up on the clutch, I imagine it would grind the gears, that may be what's going on with your car.

The solution is to put it in neutral, lift off the clutch (to spin the guilty the tranny components into a new orientation), and reslot to first. Works with no issues.

Yea that's what I do, I'm assuming it is just that then.. I just don't want to take off from a stop and only to realize I ain't moving lol. Sometimes I like to launch it, but this gear stops me.. I wounded if I could notify Mini HQ to do a recall on that!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.