Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an F56 Cooper S, and the other day when I was driving my mum's F56 JCW I realised the ASD made a different, more sporty growl. This was particularly apparent in the upper rev-range. So, I got the laptop out and had a look in the ASD CAFD. I played around with a few settings, mainly the Power Class, to no avail. Some made no difference. Some made a slight difference, but nothing special. Others made the ASD stop completely, leaving the car devoid of interior sound (even though I am running a stock JCW exhaust on the CS).

Then I decided to compare the settings on the Cooper S with the stock JCW settings. There were only two differences; Model range was set to "F056 with B48" on the JCW instead of the "F056" on the Cooper S, and Power Class was set to "OL" on the JCW instead of the "ML" on the Cooper S.

I then coded these on the Cooper S, and what a difference! Originally the sound was louder in the midrange and became quieter at higher revs. Now the noise builds with the revs, which makes revving the car much more pleasurable, and makes you feel like you're going even faster.

I know a lot of people have a downer on the ASD, but having already put the louder JCW exhaust on the car, resulting in a lot of pissed off looks from bystanders, I didn't want to make the actual exhaust any louder. The JCW ASD setting makes driving more fun without irritating people outside. What's more, by putting it in MID or GREEN it turns it down/off for long cruises.

P.S. Don't touch "Audio Level", that's there for switching dependant on your audio setup e.g. Harman Kardon vs normal stereo vs aftermarket.

I'll attach a picture of the JCW ASD in case someone wants to make the change and they're in any doubt about what to do

- Karl

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wow !! I,m sure a lot of MCS drivers would like a soundtrack more like the JCW, me included :D I have an F55 MCS with the JCW stock exhaust and would like the ASD setting up like the JCW is :D:D:D
But.... being a bit of a technophobe :laugh: or Dinosaur Dad as my 18 year old son will contest, I wouldn,t know where to start???? Maybe I need my son and a laptop to work it out for me ?? :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow Thanks! I've had a go at coding it with Bimmercode. I'll have to go for a spin later to check it out.

I've got an MCS with a JCW exhaust and jb4 installed. I couldn't believe how quiet it was when I disabled ASD. It's just not as engaging to drive with the ASD off.

I'm hoping by using the ASD setting to match the exhaust it will sound even better!

In bimmercode there is a 'construction stage' setting. Any ideas what this does to the ASD if anything?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my mums JCW has a different construction stage to my MCS, and they both sound exactly the same now. So I don’t think that currently makes any difference.
Hers is a 03.16 car and mine is a 12.16 car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should point out: don’t expect changes to MID and GREEN. They sound exactly the same to me. All the good stuff happens in SPORT, to the extent where there’s an obvious increase in noise when switching to it. I think that’s good, because you can still quiet the car down when you want to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey All,

Newbie here with a new F56 MCS...

I'm a bit of a tech nerd so loved this thread and all those doing ODBII Coding.... I've just made the mod here suggested by Thrash and I LOVE IT...! I was nearly going to get a JCW, but couldn't get all the options I wanted without ordering from factory and waiting for what would have been an eternity!

As mentioned by Thrash, the sound when in "Maximum Go-Kart Mode" is just sweet! And I'm kind of glad that it doesn't seem to adjust the Mid or Green modes. Makes that switch over to Sport so much cooler... IMHO.

Anyways, thanks for the cool thread... ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats, Lionman, on being the second person in the world (probably) to have made this modification.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just tried this on my 2018 MCS US spec car and it seemed to make no difference, I even changed "engine" to B48a20 and it didn't seem to matter. Checked coding after I was done and all is as you suggested

Any clue?

Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe the US spec or newer cars have different software. Might be worth checking it against a JCW equivalent.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Before I go in and mess this up does anyone know what 'competion paket' does?
Also 'gear shifting sound'?
Bimmercode default on my f56 for both of these is 'No' but there are various options to code including Yes!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before I go in and mess this up does anyone know what 'competion paket' does?
Also 'gear shifting sound'?
Bimmercode default on my f56 for both of these is 'No' but there are various options to code including Yes!
Those were some of the changes I made when I was first experimenting with it. I couldn't get any combination of 'sport paket' or 'gear shift sound' to work, so I just left them off in the end.

P.S. if you make any changes you don't remember or can't change back for whatever reason, you can right click the module the change was made in and select 'Code'. This will recode that module to stock as per the FA, reversing any issues. Do not under ANY circumstances however, click 'Code Default Values', as this bricks your car.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is there a way of turning off the ASD in MID mode to be the same as green but leave the sport sound on? Which ever setting is choosen for that (JCW or S).

Just to confuse things my wife has a JCW 3 door and I’m getting a CM S and want to code out the ASD in both their mid modes.

Thanks,

Also have have the BimmerCode code app, will I need to buy an upgrade to do this or does the free app do it?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is there a way of turning off the ASD in MID mode to be the same as green but leave the sport sound on? Which ever setting is choosen for that (JCW or S).
Now that would be a great option. Trouble is there are so many combinations of model range, engine, power class etc. Maybe we need a brave soul to test out all the options - no, I'm not that brave. Scared to even code it off in case I can never get it back again! (N.B. Stephan of Bimmercode fame has advised to just roll it back with a backup, but even that scared me!)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Today I decided to just get in there and try it.
Works just as Thrash said it would ? with a much more 'realistic' sound profile in Sport mode - if you like that sort of artificial thing! I'm still to be convinced if its really right to pretend, might as well make it sound like a V8 - wonder if any of the other settings would do that ?
Mid sounds pretty much the same as before but for me it now seems to be switched off in Green mode, whereas before it seemed to sound the same in all 3 modes? Difficult be 100% on that tho'.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anybody had success with this on the LCI model? I tried changing the stated parameters (which previously worked on the Clubman) but it doesn't seem to have had any effect on the LCI F56

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anybody had success with this on the LCI model? I tried changing the stated parameters (which previously worked on the Clubman) but it doesn't seem to have had any effect on the LCI F56
Tried the settings today, no luck. Turned the ASD off completely. :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts