Mini Cooper Forum banner

Coil Pack Failure

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  RockCrusher 
#1 ·
#1 coil pack failed on my 2013 Mini Cooper S. Is this normal for a mini with 53K on the odometer? I also own a 2002 Mercedes SLK 320 with 148K on the odometer and never had a coil failure.

#3 ·
A coil is like any other part. It can fail at any time. Most coils don't fail at 53K miles. I dare say the majority don't fail at all. (I've never had a coil go bad. But I did have the coils -- at around 140K miles -- replaced on one car's engine just for curiosity's sake there were no issues with the engine and after new coils the engine ran better. The coils were factory but a newer part # and possibly an improved version over the coils the car came with when new. (The car was around 10 years old when I had the coils replaced.) So the improvement might have been due to better coils or possibly due to the original coils being "bad". I sort of think the former. As I said the engine was running fine never manifested any signs of any issues and certainly not with the coils.)

So your MINI experienced a failed coil at 53K miles. I had a vehicle that had a low pressure fuel pump fail at 10K miles. Then its replacement failed after just 5K miles of service. The flip side is with another vehicle the fuel pump failed but at around 200K miles...

Welcome to the world of cars...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.