Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody installed a Cold Air Intake yet on the F56? I was looking at this one here and would like to get some Feedback pls.;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn6FlxI9g2w&feature=youtu.be

AIRVIP 4 : F56 Mini Cooper 1.5L/2.0L Air Intake for 2014 + Models

AIRVIP 4: VCP is the first to bring out a cool air intake system for the new Mini's. The kit comes with a K&N high flow air filter. CNC machined intake tube , 304 stainless steel brackets, clamps and all hardware needed to let your Cooper breathe right. Laser cut and powder coated 6061 aluminum air box with removable top cover to access the filter for cleaning. The top cover keeps the cool air (which comes from the O.E.M. fresh air tube) trapped. Thus reducing intake temperatures. We also pull air in from the side of the drivers headlight (U.S. spec cars) All our parts are made from the highest quality materials. Complete unit finished in texture black. Don't settle for second best.

KIT INCLUDES

1. K&N WASHABLE AIR FILTER

2. BILLET CNC MACHINED MAF TUBE

3. LASER CUT ALUMINUM TOP AIRBOX

4. LASER CUT ALUMINUM TOP COVER

5. ALL MOUNTING HARDWARE

6. INSTALL SHEETS

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think it's worth noting for anyone reading this thread that the way the F56 is designed, an intake provides very little performance enhancement. The extra noise is cool, but don't expect more than a couple HP increase.

That being said, I had an AIRVIP on my CM and loved it. It looked good, easy to install, even for someone as mechanicially inept as me, and the extra sounds I got out of it made my ride that much more enjoyable (whooOOOOSH.....PSSSSSSS!)

WayMotorWorks makes a simple intake that basically just adapts the stock intake pipe so it can accept a cone filter. You get the extra noise at a cheaper price ($150 USD)

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree with your point about the performance gains - expect nothing.

My GruppeM had a before and after dyno and made the same as stock!

However, noise wise its a different animal compared to the VIP or NM intakes. Much louder (from the videos I have seen of the two I mention) and I know people on NAM are disappointed with the noise (or lack of) from the NM.

Plus the GruppeM looks awesome as its carbon! >:D

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I agree with your point about the performance gains - expect nothing.

My GruppeM had a before and after dyno and made the same as stock!

However, noise wise its a different animal compared to the VIP or NM intakes. Much louder (from the videos I have seen of the two I mention) and I know people on NAM are disappointed with the noise (or lack of) from the NM.

Plus the GruppeM looks awesome as its carbon! >:D

Ah, I've seen the video of the GruppeM - music to my earholes! Also, you are correct - can't go wrong with anything carbon fiber! ;)

Interesting about the NM - The VIP video I saw, it definitely sounded louder. You could hear the blowoff pretty clearly.

I wonder how much a difference noise-wise the WMW intake makes. Since the point of a intake on a F56 is not for performance, it would be for noise enhancement and/or looks. While the WMW intake is not pretty at all compared to the alternatives, it is the cheapest by far so if the noise is there, it may be the best deal out there.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I love it. BMW spent gazillions of dollars making the car sound just right, including Active Sound. And here we are ripping all that lovingly crafted acoustic engineering off and slapping a random aftermarket go-somewhat-faster-noisily device on it. Yeah! That'll show those engineers!

Funny how obsessed we are with sound. What's up with that?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I love it. BMW spent gazillions of dollars making the car sound just right, including Active Sound. And here we are ripping all that lovingly crafted acoustic engineering off and slapping a random aftermarket go-somewhat-faster-noisily device on it. Yeah! That'll show those engineers!

Not a clue. I've always considered excessive sound a detriment, not a bonus.

But then again, if I could afford a Tesla, that's what I'd be driving...

Reactions: starlily

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts

I didn't make the mod for the noise, it was more for the drop in intake temp. The AIRVIP has dropped the temp by 7 degrees . I have used the scangauge II to monitor those temps and chart them since June of 2014 with a variety of temps and conditions. Next mod will be an upgraded intercooler..;)

For reference the Scangauge II I have is Mini F56 specific. Another member here and I were asked to test these units..:nerd:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got the VIP cold air box and made the install. Took about twenty minutes, very impressed with the manufacture of the unit and the ease of the install. Not a lot of noise for the hard core but do feel a smoother ride and definitely feel a better air flow to the engine. Only problem so far is that the car has stalled at stop signs do to the idle dropping. Running is fine just a drop of the idle at stop signs. Hmmmm?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Don't know if Minis use the same system but I have a 10 year old MG that has an IAC (idle air control) valve which is just a stepper motor that controls the amount of air going into the engine at idle, which itself is controlled electrically by signals from the ECU, monitoring the idle speed.

Any changes to the induction arrangements require a procedure to be followed to reset the IAC/ECU interface, easily done on the MG.

I would think Mini/BMW sophistication would have some sort of automatic reset or compensation for changing airflow built into their system, so a specific procedure would not be required..but who knows.

It does sound to me that the ECU is still thinking it is dealing with the original quantity of air, and so the engine stalls.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Honestly I do not know if it would void the warranty. I used air boxes on some of my other cars and never had a problem at the dealer but than you never know with Mini. It would be interesting to see if some people would call there dealers to see what different dealers have to say.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Got a question, any of these installations will void my warranty?
I have been researching this via the internet and discovered this on Edmunds.com. This is only applicable in the US.

Aftermarket parts or modifications: This aspect of warranty coverage has a great deal of gray area. Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty.

Some dealerships may say, for example, that just because you have a performance part such as a cold air intake on the car that the whole vehicle warranty is void, says Loren Wong, a car enthusiast and a former warranty administrator for BMW and Acura. "That's not true," he says.

The saving grace for consumers is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.

However, if the reason for a parts failure is unclear, a dealer will usually charge you to diagnose the vehicle. If the aftermarket part was not properly installed or a modification led to a component failure, it is within the dealer's right to void the warranty for that part, and you will have to pay for the repairs out of pocket. If the aftermarket parts had nothing to do with the repairs in question, you will be refunded the fee for the diagnosis.

Any aftermarket performance parts on your vehicle can cause a dealer to suspect that you either drive the car hard or possibly race it. "Although they may not void warranties," Wong added, "modifications may raise a red flag when vehicles are in for service. If consumers who mod their cars do a little research, they may find certain dealerships that are a little more 'mod-friendly.'"

I am still researching and attempting to find the complete mini warranty. BMW has had to make some changes due to lawsuits and they have subsequently changed their warranty statement. I will keep searching for some useful information. Hopefully, I can find a full complete warranty statement. The real key seems to be know your dealer and speak with them about modifications. An improved cold air intake most likely will not be a problem. Exhaust system modifications and chips are another matter.

Here is a link to the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Once again, this only applies in the US.
http://new.minimania.com/Will_Aftermarket_Products_Invalidate_My_Warranty

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Next time I am at the dealer I will ask them I do not think an intake will make that much of a difference since you only improve the airflow for the car. On the tuning chip I can see it that it might void the warranty because you mess with the brain of the car.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts