Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spec'd "ZCW Cold Weather Package" for my new build which I know includes heated seats and powerfold heated mirrors -- but heated windscreen? It doesn't mention it on the build sheet. Oh, I'm in the US so it may differ amongst countries but can anyone in the US confirm whether or not a heated windscreen is included in the Cold Weather package? If not does anyone know why it isn't an option?

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
In the UK so can't help but it's a brilliant option. Get it I'd you can and you get snow and ice in your hood

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I've spec'd "ZCW Cold Weather Package" for my new build which I know includes heated seats and powerfold heated mirrors -- but heated windscreen? It doesn't mention it on the build sheet. Oh, I'm in the US so it may differ amongst countries but can anyone in the US confirm whether or not a heated windscreen is included in the Cold Weather package? If not does anyone know why it isn't an option?
Not available in the US

·
Registered
508 Posts
My experience of Canadian winters was such that the heated screen may not enough to unfreeze severe North American screen ice or at least not in a reasonable time. Thin British ice is nothing by comparison.

I still use my 30-year-old $0.99 Canadian Tire snow brushes/scrapers to de-ice the edges of my heated windscreen, leaving the elements to do the rest. It's a shame the heated screen doesn't quite cover the full area of the wipers, so heated-screen+wipers may get the screen clear without leaving the car, but it will still shred the wiper blade surfaces.

I find the particular advantage of the heated screen in Britain is that not only will it not ice up again, but it remains clear of condensation even before the motor is up to temperature and the demister is working.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My experience of Canadian winters was such that the heated screen may not enough to unfreeze severe North American screen ice or at least not in a reasonable time. Thin British ice is nothing by comparison.

I still use my 30-year-old $0.99 Canadian Tire snow brushes/scrapers to de-ice the edges of my heated windscreen, leaving the elements to do the rest. It's a shame the heated screen doesn't quite cover the full area of the wipers, so heated-screen+wipers may get the screen clear without leaving the car, but it will still shred the wiper blade surfaces.

I find the particular advantage of the heated screen in Britain is that not only will it not ice up again, but it remains clear of condensation even before the motor is up to temperature and the demister is working.
It should be available in the US ... not sure why it wouldn't be. Sounds like a good feature even if not a perfect solution. I wonder if anyone knows the story of why it isn't available. I've ran across a couple of posts on other forums but no definitive answer yet. It doesn't appear to be "illegal" so it may have just been a call by BMW not to offer it?!?

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
Totally love my heated front screen as my car sits outside.mist or frost shifts nicely

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm in Canada and have the electric defrost. I absolutely love it. I can't believe how fast it it and how easy it makes cleaning the car, even when it's a layer of ice not just frost. We were hit with a storm last night and I have a " snow day" today, so I won't need it today :). I don't think mine was part of a package, just a separate option we picked. My husband picked the specs because he was trying to surprise me with the car, so I'm not completely sure.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It should be available in the US ... not sure why it wouldn't be. Sounds like a good feature even if not a perfect solution. I wonder if anyone knows the story of why it isn't available. I've ran across a couple of posts on other forums but no definitive answer yet. It doesn't appear to be "illegal" so it may have just been a call by BMW not to offer it?!?
My bet is that it doesn't meet some US regulation or something...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Does the F56 have the same problem as the R56? There is some option combination, such as heated screen and sat nav, that is not possible in a R56.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Does the F56 have the same problem as the R56? There is some option combination, such as heated screen and sat nav, that is not possible in a R56.

Or maybe it's something as mundane as the heated screen would stop the remote garage door opener from working?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The heated winshield was an additional option when I ordered it on mine, I think it was around $200 or so.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Typical government???

My bet is that it doesn't meet some US regulation or something...
Typical - if this is right - - Oh wait, I really mean 'left'.>:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts