Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
New Minis leaving the factory are usually perfect. Very ,very rare to get faults like this. Your mirror issues are not faults but standard mini features don't forget.

Most important for all you new buyers is to get protection film on the b pillar. Door seal can rub and scratch the paint off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
as a long standing MINI owner/customer, some of you may or maybe not, recognise my name (Czar) I’ve been away from the MINI scene since 2013 I used to post lots of technical information on several of the MINI forums worldwide.

of anyone would like me to write a comprehensive check list for here on the forum I would be more than happy to do that, or indeed if anyone would like me to inspect their new car before they drive it away, I would be happy to do that with you too, just drop me a message.

Czar.
Hi Czar,

Your car looks amazing. We pick up ours (same colour, with black roof, level 2) hopefully end May or early June. First mini - though I've always admired them and wanted one (my wedding car was an old-style Austin mini belonging to a mate).

Checklist would be great. I'd probably be able to spot a few things, but there are also probably some obvious ones I wouldn't think of.

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
New Minis leaving the factory are usually perfect. Very ,very rare to get faults like this. Your mirror issues are not faults but standard mini features don't forget.

Most important for all you new buyers is to get protection film on the b pillar. Door seal can rub and scratch the paint off.
As you rightly say, it is indeed rare for a factory built car to leave with issues, so anyone reading or following this thread, the chances of your new factory built car being anything but close to perfect is as Jeremy Bingham points out, rare indeed.

as for my mirror folding issue, it would be lovely if they did fold unfold at all, holding the lock unlock or comfort access button for a few seconds, as is normal, my mirrors simply refuse to fold.

however, I’m not bothered by these issues, it would be nice if these issues which I found, had been picked up during the PDI (pre delivery inspection) and rectified before my appointed collection day, even if my appointed collection day had to be postponed and rescheduled, that would have been more acceptable than to find the issues myself on the day.

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
Could you point us to some more info on that? Like, which part of the pillar should be protected, upper, lower, all? And, what would be a good product?

Many thanks.
The b pillar paint gets rubbed at the top of the metal part of the door inner where there is a slightly coarse rubber-look on the pillar to see the scuffs . If you search on here you'll find it and 3m film is perfect! Pic of a template and position here; Door pillar paint rub, new door seal coming

Better photos here; Mini have never addressed the issue Door Seal rub now apparent on LCI

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well upon first viewing the car looks stunning

View attachment 78642
View attachment 78644
View attachment 78643

however, it would appear to be either a Monday or Friday built car, Monday being the lazy and uninterested day after the weekend, whilst Friday being the, rush rush rush it’s the weekend.

furthermore why are dealerships absolutely useless at PDI (pre delivery inspection) and detailing.

it didn’t take me very long to start pointing out issues, a quick walk around the car and I pointed out several polishing marks from the machine they had used, the panel gap figment especially on the tailgate was shocking, a blind man on a galloping horse could have noticed the Cavernous gaps.

the Black belt line trim was incorrectly fitted to the drivers door, the original Chrome trim that had been removed was nowhere to be seen and nobody knew where it could be

the infotainment centre screen has a crack in it right at the top dead in the centre, the door mirrors don’t fold out or in when locking or unlocking, when reversing into a space the door mirror is supposed to active with park assist and tilt to offer a view of the kerb or painted marked line, it doesn’t do that, when the rear view camera is activated for a reversing manoeuvre, when you select forward drive, the camera stays activated for way too long as you drive forward.

the indication charging light behind the door flap doesn’t illuminate at all, satellite navigation spoken voice directions starts then disengages and that’s the end of the auditable voice directions.

the steering wheel has a run mark on the right hand side, the sunroof doesn’t stop at the first tilt position it bypasses this function and goes straight to full open, and that’s all I’ve found so far, I guess someone has to have the factory lemon car, well it would appear I’ve got it. 😂😂😂

View attachment 78642 View attachment 78643 View attachment 78644
This is a timely reminder (as someone awaiting delivery) to not be beguiled by the beauty of the shiny new car before them, but to take the time to look closely. I had your experience many years ago with a Renault ClioSport. It drove like a go kart, but was clearly a Monday or Friday build. It literally fell apart (front left suspension collapse, inexplicable whine in top gear, various cabin fixtures falling off and squealing from the radio unless the steering wheel was virtually dead ahead (?)
I am sorry to hear of your experience. I hope your dealer steps up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What a beautiful looking car. I’ve gone for the tan leather with enigmatic black on my new Countryman. I totally get the joy that electric cars bring as my hubby has a BMW iX3 that I drive at every opportunity. A comprehensive checklist would be wonderful Thankyou. I’d totally take you up on the offer of looking over it but not sure where you are located. Enjoy your new baby!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
This is a timely reminder (as someone awaiting delivery) to not be beguiled by the beauty of the shiny new car before them, but to take the time to look closely. I had your experience many years ago with a Renault ClioSport. It drove like a go kart, but was clearly a Monday or Friday build. It literally fell apart (front left suspension collapse, inexplicable whine in top gear, various cabin fixtures falling off and squealing from the radio unless the steering wheel was virtually dead ahead (?)
I am sorry to hear of your experience. I hope your dealer steps up.
Thank you, I have been a loyal customer of my chosen dealership since 2008 over the years I have seen many a staff change, that said, the ones that are still staff since 2008 and before, we have a fantastic friendship and understanding trade working relationship, they always look after me and although my new car has a few issues, the dealership will step up and do what’s necessary to rectify all that I’m a not happy with.

What I will say is, any dealership around the world whether you are a new customer or existing repeat, if for whatever reason you are not happy with your new or used car, first point of service or after sales parts, be courteous but firm, take control of the situation and don’t feel awkward or shy at pointing out whatever it is you are dissatisfied with, remember it’s your money and your customer rights, they work for you, not you being intimidated by them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
What a beautiful looking car. I’ve gone for the tan leather with enigmatic black on my new Countryman. I totally get the joy that electric cars bring as my hubby has a BMW iX3 that I drive at every opportunity. A comprehensive checklist would be wonderful Thankyou. I’d totally take you up on the offer of looking over it but not sure where you are located. Enjoy your new baby!
Thank you, I totally agree that you need the Tan leather option with the enigmatic Black or Black metallic, the contrast is stunning, if the Tan leather had been a option with the Electric, I would have chosen that with the Green.

I am located in Halifax West Yorkshire, and although I have a range limiting Electric MINI I am not limited to distance, that’s what my Clubman is for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Life long serious petrol head, Electric vehicles were never on my radar at all, however that all changed September 2021

current MINI Clubman Cooper S went for service and required a complete new gearbox replacement, that aside, for the two weeks replacement scheduled work, we were offered a courtesy car, that was a level 1 Electric MINI.

My initial reaction was erm…haven’t you got anything else, erm…no sir, ok, will it get me home, sure it will sir it’s good for 145 miles before it needs charging up, erm…ok.

Having never driven any Electric vehicle before with the exception of a dodgem at the funfair, I really didn’t know what to expect, so once familiar with the controls it was time to head off home, mostly motorway.

What a fun car to drive, before I had got to the motorway less than a mile from the dealership, I was thoroughly enjoying the way it accelerated, such a hoot, and the regenerative braking, fabulous, if judged correctly it’s a one peddle operation, just like the dodgem car at the funfair, with all the usual MINI handling characteristics.

My partner liked it so much that she asked if we could have one, so after the two weeks of fun, and some discussion we ordered in December a level 3 in Green with Satellite Grey interior with piano Black exterior trim including the belt line trim in Black too, the only deletion by the factory was the heated steering wheel, due to global chip shortage, everything else is as we ordered, as per title we collect our level 3 Electric MINI, Saturday 7th May.
Hi, great pre delivery check you ran on your car, I was wondering if it has the LED headlights option? I have them on mine and am really disappointed with the awful blue/black shadow created in the centre line when on main beam, Mini dealer says its a characteristic, Mini UK finally acknowledged it but said its not a recall, so just wondered if you know of any fix? I suggested fitting spotlights, but apparently as I have a cooper sport with JCW kit you cant fit the brackets through the grill, like the car but its so frosting that I will sell it before winter as most of my driving is on rural unlit country roads?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hi, great pre delivery check you ran on your car, I was wondering if it has the LED headlights option? I have them on mine and am really disappointed with the awful blue/black shadow created in the centre line when on main beam, Mini dealer says its a characteristic, Mini UK finally acknowledged it but said its not a recall, so just wondered if you know of any fix? I suggested fitting spotlights, but apparently as I have a cooper sport with JCW kit you cant fit the brackets through the grill, like the car but its so frosting that I will sell it before winter as most of my driving is on rural unlit country roads?
Hello Bob J

I have the LED matrix headlights, yes that shadow line is indeed a characteristic of these headlights, I do not know of a remedy solution I doubt there ever will be, either from MINI or aftermarket, I personally don’t find the shadow line an issue.

It will be a real shame if you can’t live with the known shadow line and sell the car as the early nights draw in, I hope you manage to adapt to the headlights and overlook the shadow line.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not forgotten ;)

some of us stuck with the mini habit across all the generations and 4 different forum’s

i take it the door shuts now come with paint protection film from the factory if not add that to your list…:rolleyes:

(didn’t get to page 2 before writing my reply and yes I remember the Gp2)

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
Not forgotten ;)

some of us stuck with the mini habit across all the generations and 4 different forum’s

i take it the door shuts now come with paint protection film from the factory if not add that to your list…:rolleyes:

(didn’t get to page 2 before writing my reply and yes I remember the Gp2)
Absolutely not; you need to do this as soon as you get the car yourself as Mini are denial and don't apply a fix of any kind!!

Reactions: Blue al

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thank you, I totally agree that you need the Tan leather option with the enigmatic Black or Black metallic, the contrast is stunning, if the Tan leather had been a option with the Electric, I would have chosen that with the Green.

I am located in Halifax West Yorkshire, and although I have a range limiting Electric MINI I am not limited to distance, that’s what my Clubman is for.
I also live in Halifax. I will use your original posts as a checklist as to what to look out for on delivery day. Unfortunately my car will arrive by covered trailer as I have bought using the BMW Armed Forces scheme.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts