Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I have had my car, about a month now, I have not been able to lock it by only pushing the black button once. It ususally takes three to four tries before it locks.

I searched the forum, and in one thread someone suggested to disable the "lock on driving" setting that locks the doors once the car starts moving. I have done that and it still won't lock on first try. Anyone else experience this?

Also, is there a setting where you can get the doors to lock on their own once you walk away...just like the trunk/boot does with comfort access?

·
Registered
56 Posts
In the settings -> doors/keys there is an option "Lock if no door is opened" where the doors lock after a brief period, that might do the trick.

Regarding the issue with the button on the door handle, I haven't experienced that issue myself. Sometimes interference from cellphones are to blame but I always have my cell with me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I too have that same issue. Takes 3 or 4 times before it locks....but sometimes I get lucky and it does it on the second try. THe first try always seems like it is opening then the second is locking....when I get lucky.

I have to look to see what I have it set to but I think I am the same as you are......lock on driving.

I will play with it later today and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm not understanding what the selling point is on Comfort Access. You have to push a button to unlock or lock, right? What difference does it make if the button is on the remote or on the door handle?

If it is supposed to automagically lock the hatch when you leave the car, OK great but does it lock the rest of the car as well? If not, why not?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
This is really annoying.

I have to push the button FIVE times now to get the doors to lock. If a passenger gets out, then it's a one-button push--as expected.

I haven't turned off any locking features to see if that helps. In another thread, I inferred that would be a ridiculous solution. Now, I'm ready to give it a shot! I'll just lock the car manually when I hop in. That's less annoying than hitting the button five times.

Uke, I really like the Comfort Access feature. It's taking me a while to get used to it, but the remote stays untouched in my pocket until I return home. Old habits are hard to break.

I wouldn't mind the car not locking itself as I walk away, provided I only need to press the door button just once! ;-)

JP

Reactions: MINIgirl

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have comfort access and it locks with the first press

I am wondering if this is an FCC thing... perhaps in the USA the transmitters aren't allowed to be as powerful as in the UK?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not understanding what the selling point is on Comfort Access. You have to push a button to unlock or lock, right? What difference does it make if the button is on the remote or on the door handle?

If it is supposed to automagically lock the hatch when you leave the car, OK great but does it lock the rest of the car as well? If not, why not?
I don't understand this option also, and I did see an earlier post on this. Before remotes you could push the lock button then close the door, now you push a button on the outside of the door , so you don't need to use the remote??

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have comfort access and it locks with the first press

I am wondering if this is an FCC thing... perhaps in the USA the transmitters aren't allowed to be as powerful as in the UK?
I'm in Canada and don't have the problem either, maybe you're on to something with the FCC thing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The selling point is that you don't have to have the keys in your hand to unlock/lock the car. So I keep the keys in my purse and leave them there. The car will not lock if you have mistakenly left the keys in the car.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't understand this option also, and I did see an earlier post on this. Before remotes you could push the lock button then close the door, now you push a button on the outside of the door , so you don't need to use the remote??
Yes, that's right. You don't have to go digging for keys to unlock the car.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the FCC thing sounds like an explanation. It's a pain though, because you pay extra for comfort access.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm in Canada and do have the same problem. I have noticed too that, if the passenger door is opened, the button works perfectly. I love the convenience of not having to dig the key out of the bottom of my purse every time I need it, especially since my hand are often full. I'm willing to press the button a few extra times rather than have to juggle papers and books all the time.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I'm sure it's not an FCC thing.

The car locked on a single press for the first week or two. Then it went to three presses, now five. Sometimes even more, but I think it's because I'm pressing the button too fast in frustration. Haha!

As I mentioned, when a passenger gets out, the doors locks correctly on the driver's side with a single press.

JP

Reactions: MINIgirl

·
Registered
216 Posts
I concur that if there's a passenger it works fine the first click. Otherwise, there seems to be a complicated algorithm, i.e., the machine is overthinking the conditions of whether or not to lock. Again, IMO, AI run amok. I'd like to see Mini simplify it in the future and even offer us a software fix. If all of we intelligent, enthusiastic users can't figure it out, there's something wrong with it!

When I was shopping and researching Minis, I didn't get the whole Comfort Access concept. Hadn't planned to add it as an option, but as it turned out for the 2015s in the US, it came with the Premium Package. Now I get it and love not having to fumble through pockets for the keys, especially in winter. OK, I'm still fumbling through pockets because my brain hasn't yet been reprogrammed to NOT search for keys!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I concur that if there's a passenger it works fine the first click. Otherwise, there seems to be a complicated algorithm, i.e., the machine is overthinking the conditions of whether or not to lock. Again, IMO, AI run amok. I'd like to see Mini simplify it in the future and even offer us a software fix. If all of we intelligent, enthusiastic users can't figure it out, there's something wrong with it!
At the risk of repeating myself, this pretty little box is host to hundreds of computers, running millions of lines of code. I wager that most, if not all, of it is brand new or cloned from BMW stock. There will be bugs. Probably many of them, with varying degrees of severity. The system will never be bug free, but the easy ones will quickly be found and dealt with.

Not that it helps all of the frustrated wetware that has to deal with the buggy software running on the new hardware, but fact is, everyone that buys this car now is a beta tester. For what it's worth, take pride that your testing and debugging will help those that follow. I for one appreciate all you pioneers discovering and discussing the glitches...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did disable the "lock when no doors are open" mode to see if that would make the doors lock automatically when I leave the car...but no it doesn't seem to work. On the truck/boot works like that.

Maybe the engine has to be on for the doors to lock.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Reading this I am glad I didn't spec it. My mum has it on her avensis estate and from experience with this avoided it. It just doesn't ever seem to open or lock when you expect it to. Hated it on the Toyota at least!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also got the comfort acces, but no need to press more then once! It works likes a charm :)
And i love that i don't need to look for my keys.
If you have to push more then once i would go back to the dealer en let them check it out because it doesn't supposed to work like that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have had the same problem.

One thing I have done that to have seems to help is to press the squarely at the button (a 90 degree angle). That is, have your finger square to the handle vs the natural angle of pushing down (45 degree angle).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts