Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a worrying scenario - left my car in supermarket carpark. When I came out, I noticed a large pool of oil. I didn't think it could have been mine - thought it was from some old banger which had been in the space before me!! I'd had no warning lights, and my car is only just over a year old, with 9700 miles on the clock. Started up to go home, no warning lights. After about 5 miles, orange warning lights came on saying drive moderately, and get car checked out at earliest opportunity. Very shortly after that, RED lights came on saying STOP IMMEDIATELY, risk of engine damage! So I stopped. Within 90 minutes, someone from BMW came out to me, but there was nothing to be done there, car had to be taken to a MINI garage. He offered to take me and my shopping home and a very nice BMW330d replacement car was dropped off at my house the next morning.

Hopefully my car will be fixed and back with me very soon; I don't yet know the cause of this, but wondered if anyone else has experienced anything like it?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Here is a worrying scenario - left my car in supermarket carpark. When I came out, I noticed a large pool of oil. I didn't think it could have been mine - thought it was from some old banger which had been in the space before me!! I'd had no warning lights, and my car is only just over a year old, with 9700 miles on the clock. Started up to go home, no warning lights. After about 5 miles, orange warning lights came on saying drive moderately, and get car checked out at earliest opportunity. Very shortly after that, RED lights came on saying STOP IMMEDIATELY, risk of engine damage! So I stopped. Within 90 minutes, someone from BMW came out to me, but there was nothing to be done there, car had to be taken to a MINI garage. He offered to take me and my shopping home and a very nice BMW330d replacement car was dropped off at my house the next morning.

Hopefully my car will be fixed and back with me very soon; I don't yet know the cause of this, but wondered if anyone else has experienced anything like it?
My car decided it didn't like the oil it was filled with when I first bought it. Had 300 miles on the clock and the top up oil warning came on. Luckily it hadn't leaked enough to make it dangerous, was just at the low end of the recommended scale. Anyway I called them out to the motorway services and there was oil all over the wheels and underside of the car. Turned out to have a leak in one of the seals and/or a problem with the actuator. They replaced it for me and I've had no issues since.

They gave me a nice 330d too! >:D

·
Registered
890 Posts
Depending on the type of Mini you have it could be the oil filter housing had cracked and allowed the oil to leak.

I believe the MCS and Coopers are both subject to an enhancement recall to change this part, which means they might remember to do it when you next take the car in, whenever that might be, unless you are lucky and they contact you first.

For something as important as the oil system, I think it should be a mandatory immediate recall.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just had my oil filter housing replaced in a recall - 2014 f56.

A few years ago I had a ford that did not leak when parked, but spewed oil when the engine was running. It turned out to be a bad oil pressure sending unit that had failed.

·
Registered
494 Posts
One of the possibilities would be a loose oil filter housing, causing the rather large oil leak that you have described. I think their were previous issues in the past. Not sure if still an issue. You could have had a pad part or earlier production part before a rev was made. It could be something else other than this.
The first clue of a large pool of oil sitting under the car would tell me NOT to drive the vehicle....call Mini roadside assist...it's FREE ! Better safe than sorry and potentially do damage to your engine.

·
Registered
890 Posts
As I said earlier it is most likely the oil filter housing failure issue, which caused the leak and is the subject of a recall.
They will not necessarily contact owners to have this part changed as it is an "enhancement" recall, but I would suggest owners of S and non S Coopers check with their dealers to see if their cars are affected, and if so, get the work done as soon as possible.

I am not sure if any other models are affected, but if in doubt, check with your dealers.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
When my Dealer did the Side Impact Foam they also did all enhanced/Recalls at the same time. Can not understand why BMW/Mini would not notify owners it might be cheaper in the long run than replacing engines but than you never know how these big companies brains work.:|

·
Registered
98 Posts
As Johnan said, probably the oil filter housing for it to be such a large amount of oil, especially considering that similar incidents have occurred with other F56 owners. And I agree Evlkarl, no idea why MINI/BMW wouldn't be (more) proactive about this. Worst case scenario is they would have to replace the engine if this happened (someone on the NAM forums had this happen to them). You would think calling and letting everyone know would be cheaper than that...but who knows. Must be some logic to it. The alternative theory is that MINI underestimated the number of cars needing this recall...er I mean enhancement (lol).. and there are some cars still affected, but not identified.

Let us know what happened! (so many of these topics go un-answered)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And to conclude, it was indeed the oil filter housing which had cracked. Inconvenient, but all sorted out very smoothly and quickly. Got my car back today - much prefer my MCS to the 330d!

·
Registered
375 Posts
My worst nightmare, a pool of oil under my car and not knowing where it's coming from. Cracked oil filter housing sounds familiar and is a typical BMW problem so it seems. My previous car (BMW) was also an oil patient due to a small crack in the oil filter housing and was losing drops of oil. Nothing to worry about as long as it are just drops but but I will never keep driving with this anymore. So far no drops or loss of oil whatsoever so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Good to hear they solved the issue.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Ridiculous that MINI are not ensuring that all cars with this potential issue are not being recalled before someone needs a new engine!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts