Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I would like to check how your CBS (computer based service) intervals are working for your Mini JCW.
In my case, I have only clocked 1.400km and already the service interval has diminished from 30.000km to 24.000km. I do not drive hard, I don't race the engine, in general I respect the run-in interval precautions. But most of the driving in rather short city rides.

thanks.

·
Registered
769 Posts
CBS -> Condition Based Service ... there will be jumps sometime and some time u will drive 1000ks and that next service thing won't change ...
I ignore it altogether. I had my first oil change after the break in period and then change it every 5-6,000 miles. Sometimes I do the in-between oil change myself and sometimes the dealer does it and I pay for it. Depends on how lazy I'm feeling. Either way I always get my oil and filters from the dealer in the off chance a question arises I have dealer receipts. But yes, it does jump around based on a number of factors not just your driving habits.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
But most of the driving in rather short city rides.
Short drives cause the most wear a tear because the oil never gets up to the temps required to evaporate and burn of the impurities in the oil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In the early days of BMW's "CBS" I had both an E46 330I and a M3. BMW touted the system as some complicated algorithm that monitored multiple conditions to determine oil change intervals, etc.
Some curious owners started watching closer and noticed that the oil change came up precisely after burning 600 gallons of gas. It actually makes a lot of sense, a hard driver will come to the interval sooner than someone who babies their car.
I don't believe the parameters of CBS are really very complicated. If anything they seem geared to give most owners two "free services" in their first three years on average. On my R56's which were known for burning oil, the intervals were way too long. Time will tell on my F model but I'm thinking 5-10K per oil change is probably more comfortable for me.
PS: I also feel that modern synthetic oil is light years ahead of old dinosaur oil, and that longer intervals are acceptable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.