Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just wondering what the connectors I have circled below do exactly on the screen? I am attempting to retrofit this into my bog standard spec mini and don't have these connectors. Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi all, just wondering what the connectors I have circled below do exactly on the screen? I am attempting to retrofit this into my bog standard spec mini and don't have these connectors. Thanks. View attachment 69610
That connector is the Ethernet line that use the audio control panel to communicate to bdc through the air condition panel and IHKA ecu. What audio sys do you have on car now?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That connector is the Ethernet line that use the audio control panel to communicate to bdc through the air condition panel and IHKA ecu. What audio sys do you have on car now?
Ah ok that makes sense. I currently have the base radio, the one with the orange screen. I don't have those lines though but have buttons on the radio itself, guess they're just not used to communicate to anywhere else in the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ah ok that makes sense. I currently have the base radio, the one with the orange screen. I don't have those lines though but have buttons on the radio itself, guess they're just not used to communicate to anywhere else in the car.
From basic radio you have to add a lot of wirings and change the head unit. After that you need to code the system. It’s not plug and play!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the visual basic screen and Headunit to match. Wiring wise it looks like I have most of the cables, maybe not the idrive controller wire but most others. I've been reading into the coding but can't get a 100% answer on what will need coding. I'm willing to give it a go

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the visual basic screen and Headunit to match. Wiring wise it looks like I have most of the cables, maybe not the idrive controller wire but most others. I've been reading into the coding but can't get a 100% answer on what will need coding. I'm willing to give it a go
To switch to visual from basic you have to wire:
Microphone (if you no have one)
Controller
Audio control panel
Modify the led ring wiring
Ethernet line (HU —> BDC)
Add antennas (gps, bt depends on HU model)

Coding requires to modify the FA so you need enet cable and laptop with esys

Also to do that I modified also the plastic structure where HU goes because basic radio and other equipment has different supports.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right so I've got some wiring mods to do. Do you have any diagrams or anything to get me started?

Going to get esys but need to learn what's involved with modifying the FA

·
Registered
49 Posts
Right so I've got some wiring mods to do. Do you have any diagrams or anything to get me started?

Going to get esys but need to learn what's involved with modifying the FA
Check newtis(.info) for wirings
For coding when you have finished the hardware part I can give you some tips.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll get onto that then, thank you for the help. Its a challenge but I'm willing to give it a go. The custom wiring looms for each car do make it a lot harder

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had a dig through newtis but can't find the wiring for the audio control panel (as circled in my pic) anywhere. I'm hoping I've not bitten off more than I can chew but I really am up for the challenge with a bit of guidance.

Plugged the visual boost unit in just to see how much functionality I get and it powers up and the screen works, just obviously get no control and I'm guessing it's in dumb mode because it can't communicate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just posting thoughts as I go to help anyone looking to do the same in the future. Thoughts may well be wrong of course so please let me know if so.

Looking at the various wiring diagrams it looks like the audio control panel on the screen has to be wired inline with the heater control panel, I'm guessing if I cut the data line to the heater panel and route through the audio control panel then it will work. The idrive controller also needs to be wired in and this looks like a dedicated wire that runs back to one of the K control modules (that I'm yet to work out where it is and how it works).

If I can get the wiring side sorted the next problem is coding, this is something I have played with before with older cars (mainly VAG so using VCDS) but never with ESYS and so in depth so I reckon I'll get stuck there.
It seems like a lot of work to gain a screen but now it's turning into more of a challenge to beat 😊. Sourcing the correct plugs of course is another thing to work out!

I believe my current 4 line orange display radio boost has a microphone and guessing ethernet lines (although can't confirm without looking) because it gathers all the data from the car, oil level etc.

Also got to work out the LED ring wiring, the plug fits but it doesn't light?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just posting thoughts as I go to help anyone looking to do the same in the future. Thoughts may well be wrong of course so please let me know if so.

Looking at the various wiring diagrams it looks like the audio control panel on the screen has to be wired inline with the heater control panel, I'm guessing if I cut the data line to the heater panel and route through the audio control panel then it will work. The idrive controller also needs to be wired in and this looks like a dedicated wire that runs back to one of the K control modules (that I'm yet to work out where it is and how it works).

If I can get the wiring side sorted the next problem is coding, this is something I have played with before with older cars (mainly VAG so using VCDS) but never with ESYS and so in depth so I reckon I'll get stuck there.
It seems like a lot of work to gain a screen but now it's turning into more of a challenge to beat . Sourcing the correct plugs of course is another thing to work out!

I believe my current 4 line orange display radio boost has a microphone and guessing ethernet lines (although can't confirm without looking) because it gathers all the data from the car, oil level etc.

Also got to work out the LED ring wiring, the plug fits but it doesn't light?
Ethernet line is not present with basic radio (check newtis), level oil etc use a different line. Also your HU come from a BMW and not Mini so you have to flash the HU to install the mini SW. for the controller wiring I advise you to solder the cables behind the quadlock (the one big connector) ( pin 4 violet - pin 3 white - pin 1 red/yellow - pin 2 brown/black check newtis for the controller pin order)
Led ring’s wirings have to be changed
Pin 1 -2 rest the same
Pin 3-6 go away
Pin 5 goes to pin 1 to the small connector black behind the screen.
Pin 3 behind the screen go on a + that you can take where you want)
I’m not a mechanic or expert. re-check the information on the site that i wrote above. any damage to your car it is not my responsibility [\b]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so I need to add the Ethernet line to the quadlock? I've attached a diagram from Newtis which suggests the ethernet lines from the H/U quadlock...I'm guessins these are the ones I dont have.

Ok so I can join the controller wiring inline with the headunit wiring in the back of the quadlock...I guess the data will travel down the same line?

LED ring wise that kind of makes sense... when you say pin 3 and 6 go away... do you mean they swap around or just dont need them? Pin 5 comes from where to pin 1 on the LED ring connector on the screen?

I'm learning....slowly :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok so I need to add the Ethernet line to the quadlock? I've attached a diagram from Newtis which suggests the ethernet lines from the H/U quadlock...I'm guessins these are the ones I dont have.

Ok so I can join the controller wiring inline with the headunit wiring in the back of the quadlock...I guess the data will travel down the same line?

LED ring wise that kind of makes sense... when you say pin 3 and 6 go away... do you mean they swap around or just dont need them? Pin 5 comes from where to pin 1 on the LED ring connector on the screen?

I'm learning....slowly :p View attachment 69622
Let me check the diagram it says up to 2016 from HU to BDC

The controller is on an existent data line so you can put it whatever you want... the faster way is take line and power line behind quad lock

Behind led ring you have a big white 6 pin connector. From this start pin 5 to the small black connector that you have behind the screen (nearly the pink connector). In the same connector Pin 3 and 6 are useless for the new sys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok perfect. What a project this will be!! So I will need to add the 5 data lines back to the BDC from the H/U?

Controller sounds very easy at least!! The audio control panel sounds ok too, I have ordered the 8 pin plug and will wire this inline with the heater control panel.

Ah I haven't seen the small balck connector on the back of the screen? I will have a look tomorrow and hopefully that'll make sense.

Thank you so much for the help so far, I really appreciate it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok perfect. What a project this will be!! So I will need to add the 5 data lines back to the BDC from the H/U?

Controller sounds very easy at least!! The audio control panel sounds ok too, I have ordered the 8 pin plug and will wire this inline with the heater control panel.

Ah I haven't seen the small balck connector on the back of the screen? I will have a look tomorrow and hopefully that'll make sense.

Thank you so much for the help so far, I really appreciate it
This is correct

Follow “basic version”

For the control panel if you order 1 female and 1 male 4 pin connector you can make a correct wiring without cutting the original cables, I just soldered an extension and go down to the air condition control panel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats brilliant thank you, how do you connect the new wiring into the BDC? I have ordered an 8 way connector as thats what is on the back of the screen, but perhaps that was the wrong way to do it BMW VW Wiring Cable Plug Terminal Connector 8 Pole 6954526 61136954526 6954522 7625715724060 | eBay

So you have taken a 4 pin from the heater control panel to 4 pins on the audio control panel and then the original 4 pin from the heater control panel then goes into the back of the audio control panel?

I feel like my brain is on fire!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats brilliant thank you, how do you connect the new wiring into the BDC? I have ordered an 8 way connector as thats what is on the back of the screen, but perhaps that was the wrong way to do it BMW VW Wiring Cable Plug Terminal Connector 8 Pole 6954526 61136954526 6954522 7625715724060 | eBay

So you have taken a 4 pin from the heater control panel to 4 pins on the audio control panel and then the original 4 pin from the heater control panel then goes into the back of the audio control panel?

I feel like my brain is on fire!
You should order a lot of faston (pin) about 30

go down to the passenger side carpeting and go in BDC

Air control panel has 4 pin (cables) that goes in 8 pin connector(the one you ordered) the last 4 free spaces are for cables that go down to the control panel (check the scheme for the correct position)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts