Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm waiting for my car I find myself considering options that I haven't selected and wondering if I can add them to my order.
Is anyone else doing the same?

I've resisted so far... but here are ones I've nearly fallen for...

The head up display. Looks like it provides useful information right in front of you and is a cool gadget. But, videos on the net show it looking small and empty, and the same info is only a glance away at the speedo or centre screen.

Electric folding mirrors. The mini is wider than my current car so will I be folding in the mirrors all the time? If so then electric would be convenient. But it looks like even folded in the mirrors still stick out, and it's not like I can't fold them in by hand if I need to.

Roof rails. These weren't an option when I ordered but they are now. I've never needed them before but what if I need them in the future?

I suppose I need to stop second guessing my choices...

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Always easy to allow spec creep to set in especially with MINI as there is a lot of choice. :D Always pays to weigh up if you need something or not.

We have two of the tree options you list above. We specced the HUD as a bit of fun as it was new to MINI on the F56, but Mrs W loves it and moans I don't have it in my car now.

We have the folding mirrors as our drive is quite narrow and every bit of room is useful.

·
Registered
74 Posts
While I'm waiting for my car I find myself considering options that I haven't selected and wondering if I can add them to my order.
Is anyone else doing the same?

I've resisted so far... but here are ones I've nearly fallen for...

The head up display. Looks like it provides useful information right in front of you and is a cool gadget. But, videos on the net show it looking small and empty, and the same info is only a glance away at the speedo or centre screen.

Electric folding mirrors. The mini is wider than my current car so will I be folding in the mirrors all the time? If so then electric would be convenient. But it looks like even folded in the mirrors still stick out, and it's not like I can't fold them in by hand if I need to.

Roof rails. These weren't an option when I ordered but they are now. I've never needed them before but what if I need them in the future?

I suppose I need to stop second guessing my choices...
I think if you spec'd Sat Nav the HUD will be pretty useful, I have neither but have found you can change the speedo display to have a large mph which is just a glance away :)

Roof rails also useful if you are going to be regularly chucking on a roof box?

Be careful as you can suddenly end up with a MCS approaching the £30K range which is just crazy :eek:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I also have two of the three items you mention - HUD and electric folding mirrors. The HUD seems, to the uninitiated, a bit of a gimmick but having had mine for over a month now I'd be lost without it. I'm quite fortunate in that I have Media Pack XL and Mini Navigation System XL and both appear to run seamlessly through the display. It's so much easier to have it in your line of sight than having to glance towards the central display - maybe I've been spoilt !! Would it not be possible to test drive a mini, at your local dealership, with one installed - it may persuade you either way.

As for the mirrors, again essential in my situation, as it's a bit of a squeeze in my garage and I know that if I didn't have them it would only be a matter of time before I clipped either one or both !!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
in that I have Media Pack XL and Mini Navigation System XL and both appear to run seamlessly through the display. !!
oh man...you had me worried thinking they were separate things! phew...

I added HUD too when I ordered ....pre-test drive I thought it was just a gimmick but once I'd seen it working I had to have it.

Only thing I went back and added was my LEDs .... purely because I HAD to have halos :D although I had toyed with HK and the variable suspension.

·
Registered
281 Posts
oh man...you had me worried thinking they were separate things! phew...

I added HUD too when I ordered ....pre-test drive I thought it was just a gimmick but once I'd seen it working I had to have it.

Only thing I went back and added was my LEDs .... purely because I HAD to have halos :D although I had toyed with HK and the variable suspension.
Sorry to frighten you - was just quoting off my spec sheet and it lists Media and Sat Nav separately . I got LED's and Driving AssiTant pack, variable damper control plus panoramic sunroof ( always essential in Manchester LOL ). Had HK in my previous JCW and I'm either tone deaf or I listen to crap music cos I didn't quite seem to get the benefit !!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmm looks like I might email my dealer tonight then. Neither of his demonstrator cars had the HUD so I haven't had a chance to see it... but I don't want to regret not having it!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
This might be what you need to watch Mark......

and night time:

Reactions: palgt1

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had a real battle of conscience over whether to add the HUD after placing my order originally but have had to resist (this time!!).

I did get my order slightly amended whilst I'm waiting by adding enhanced Bluetooth.

It's definitely easy to get carried away normally, but it's even more so with these long lead times. Too much time too think!!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
If I had to lose all my options and keep one it would be the HUD - it's fantastic. The projection is noticeably larger than in the videos above because the camera is closer to the reflective screen than your head (the closer you get to it the smaller it appears). I've tried driving without it and I hated it, every car should have one - speed, song titles, sat nav directions (with lane diagrams), contacts in your phone, check control messages - it's great.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Still can't get over how clean the HUD was on the M5 and M6, a much cleaner look, no clear screen standing up. With HUD off you wouldn't even be able to tell it has the feature unless you look up and see the hole in the dash

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aww thanks Donna. I had seen the daytime one but not the night.The real thing looks very different to the promo picture doesn't it?

I've been back and forth a few times now...

It's the satnav directions that I think would be good, but I'm pretty sure I can have the direction arrows on the centre screen and that's only a glance away... I can't believe I'm agonising over it so much!

The guy who did that day time video did another called touch and feel test. It's good and also shows the reverse camera and parking assistant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hbSga8Ko3s

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I wanted the ejecter seats missiles the car to change into a submarine and a plane

But I couldn't find anything on the options list.

:nerd:
>:D

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I wanted the ejecter seats missiles the car to change into a submarine and a plane

But I couldn't find anything on the options list.

:nerd:
>:D
Ah you are confused you need the F14 list not the F56....

Or a chap called Q

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes! I'm the same! I'm driving my husband MAD! I took ages to choose original colour, had a test drive, finalised spec, placed order. Then, spent my evenings surfing mini sites/forums. I've changed my spec three times with dealer! Def order the HUD.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have to admit the HUD was the first option ticked for me and I hadn't even seen it!! When I went for a test drive I fell in love with it - amazing. You have to get it! I went a little crazy over the available options!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK OK I've sent the dealer an email :)

Thanks for the real world feedback... someone said it looks bigger than in the videos - I suspected that and it's good to see it confirmed. Also, better to have it and not use it than to want it and be able to have it.

I hope I haven't left it too late.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
OK OK I've sent the dealer an email :)

Thanks for the real world feedback... someone said it looks bigger than in the videos - I suspected that and it's good to see it confirmed. Also, better to have it and not use it than to want it and be able to have it.

I hope I haven't left it too late.

Yippee!!! :D

·
Registered
471 Posts
One think you also have to remember that the more upgrades you have the more information that appears on the HUD i.e. Sat Nav, Driver assistant pack for traffic signs and speed warnings etc it's a minefield of options!!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts