Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a recent thread about the overly long intervals between oil changes, it concerns me a bit too..Now my Mini's just had its first service 2 years on and all that consisted of was Oil and Filter change..So whats bugging me is my next service is 2017 and that's 3 years without either Brake Fluid or Coolant being changed. I always thought Coolant should be changed yearly as the Antifreeze weakens over time and also same thing with Brake fluid, the last thing I want is brake fade or a cracked block through lack of antifreeze. So can anyone put me right..has technology moved on and perhaps I missed it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,

Antifreeze lasts longer than it used to .Its the inhibitors that deteriate over time . 5 year antifreeze is pretty standard these days

My Jag it is 10 years on the service schedule. I seem to remember that a brake fluid change is included in the TLC schedule.

A very high percentage of cars on the road never have an antifreeze or brake fluid change

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
The only real reason to change the brake fluid is if water gets in it. I think its called hydroscopic fluid. If water is mixed in with the fluid and you drive very hard, the fluid can then boil which wil give you that spongy brake pedal feel, worst case the brake pedal will go to the floor and no brakes. The mechanics of brake fluid lines and connections are very good these days so this can elongate the changes required.

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
Brake fluid is done by mini at 3 years. Most do it at two but I'm happy the should be ok.it can be checked for water. but mini say coolant is fit for life. Personally I think that's rubbish as I can't seem to buy any coolant that lasts over 5 years. If I keep the car that's when I will change it .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.