Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2016 Cooper S is due a coolant change, was wondering if anyone here has attempted this job themselves and if so what problems/issues did you encounter.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,747 Posts
Mini say not;they say it is filled for life But i most am definitely with you on this and will do ours every 5 years regardless what they say.I think it might need a pump system-not sure-i got our dealer to do our r Roadster-am a coward! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I saw that somewhere, but if it's a 50/50 mix then the additives that prevent corrosion will breakdown (degrade). I would rather get it changed to prevent future issues. The only pumps I have found are vacuum pumps that are really for the filling process, they create a vacuum and the new coolant is sucked in. Supposed to eliminate air locks, they are not from what I understand meant for drawing the coolant out. These can be purchased for around £85. I will keep looking though.

·
Super Moderator
6,747 Posts
I TOTALLY agree with you-it is a rediculous claim and I simply don't understand it. I had to persuade Mini to do it; £90 all in inc VAT which I could cope with.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
507 Posts
Landrover have a similar claim on their auto transmissions, sealed for life. But a statement from the transmission manufacturer, ZF say otherwise and regular servicing are recommended. In Discovery 3 and 4 case, they built a cross member right under the transmission tray which makes it very difficult to service.
Off the mini topic but don't believe everything the manufacturer tells you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts