Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While various threads on oil levels and oil changes are on-going, how about coolant?!

I checked my coolant level when I first got my Mini petrol Cooper a year and 8000 miles ago, by unscrewing the cap and looking into the neck of the reservoir and the coolant was on the level of the MAX tab inside the reservoir.

I have kept an occasional eye on it and it has gone down over the year until it is now just on the level of the MIN tab inside the reservoir.

I monitor, continuously, the coolant temperature with my Scangauge and there is also the vague built in Mini speedo temperature gauge, and the temps. have always been fine, so no probs. there.

I just wondered if anyone else has checked their coolant level and possibly seen a gradual drop like mine, or is mine the odd one out(!)

If I hadn't bothered to keep an eye on it, IF it continues to go down the first thing that would happen would be an overheat warning light which would be disconcerting. My first service is still 6 months away so the level wouldn't be officially checked until then.

I expect it is normal but I would be interested to know of how other owner's levels are behaving (if anyone has bothered to check!!)

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
Had to top up both our roadsters s and my f56. And our duster. All were bought brand new and all seemed to need a top up after around 1000 miles but not had to do it since with any of them so am assuming it's new car settling. I do think a little manages to escape or evaporate so i always keep an eye on it but it shouldn't lose a lot. Your useage sounds ok to me but am happy be corrected..

Reactions: johnan

·
Registered
232 Posts
My cooper has now done 9000 miles and I check mine regularly by unscrewing the top, just before Xmas I checked and it had dropped to minimum, which was strange as it had never used any. I topped it up and have kept checking regularly to make sure there wasn't a leak and in 5 months it has never moved below full. So I'm not sure what happened , but it sounds just like what has happened to you

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
Yes really odd.wonder if a trapped bubble escaped ,from factory fill perhaps.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks both for your comments and reassurance.

I am pretty sure everything is normal and it has probably settled now.

I would bung a bit more in to top it up but I am not sure exactly which kind of anti freeze/coolant Mini use, so if it doesn't drop any more Ill wait until it's service for them to do it.

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
If you're worried the prestone yellow stuff claims to safely mix with anything but halfords have a guide.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks J, I will have look at their guide. Halfrauds is handier than my dealer by a long way.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am a bit wary of taking the top off while the engine is hot so I have only checked it when cool, but that is a good point-it may be half way up the reservoir when hot.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did a check today with the engine hot and cold.

When hot the coolant level is on the MAX mark, when the engine is cool the level is on the MIN mark.

That seems to me to about as right as it can be, so no worries.

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
I always run mine on the full at cold; think that's generally the way.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That certainly was the norm in years gone by, if you checked it hot you got a face full of boiling water for your trouble, but as long as it is not below MIN when cold and not above MAX when warm, I can live with that!

If I topped it up to MAX when cold it would be very much above MAX when hot, so I will leave it as it is and when I check it I will do it after the car has had a run, and has cooled down for about 5-10 minutes, so the level should be in the "mean" sort of area, between the two limits.

·
Registered
505 Posts
According to the oracle (owner's manual), you check the collant level with the engine cool - the coolant level is correct if it lies between the minimum and maximum marks in the filler neck.

But yes, coolant level is extremely temperature dependent since what you're actually looking at is the coolant recovery resevoir... it goes in and out as needed, so when you check it warm, you'll see more in there than when you check it cold (and the manufacturer takes this into account when writing the instructions). Some cars have you check hot, some cold. Some have both sets of marks... it all depends. As long as you aren't below the minimum line, all is well.
On most of them, you'll also see a tube leading to the outside world to cover your buns if you overfill the thing... out it goes. Overfilling won't hurt your car, just your wallet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I too have to refill from min to max for the second consecutive year. Is this "normal"? First car to do so... If the level goes down, the fluid must be excaping somewhere, no?

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
Yes bit odd that- a little loss perhaps but not the full amount. I'd get it checked!

·
Registered
120 Posts
From min to max it takes 250 ml. Anyway, the brake fluid change is due this month (3 years), so I booked the maintenance for tommorrow and asked them to check for coolant leaks. Lets see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure if it's BMW thing. I actively follow F30 forums and have read that some 3 and 4 series can also lose a lot of coolant in the early life first couple of years.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just a follow up: left the cooper at the dealer yesterday for a brake fluid change (schedulled maintenance included for the first 5 years) and told them about the coolant level dropping with time. They said they did a pressure test and a visual inspection and did not find any leak. So, problem not solved and they have no idea what it can be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a Mini Cooper (1.5L) 2019 purchased brand new and delivered in July 2018, it now has 14,500 kms.
When brand new I looked at all fluid levels and coolant was correct at max.
Two weeks ago I noticed that coolant level was way below minimum, but it was second time I checked the level, there is no way for me to know when it started loosing coolant. There was still some coolant left in the bottom of the reservoir.
I also opened the engine oil cap when the engine was hot just after turning off and there was significant vapor coming out of the engine oil refill opening.

I went to the dealer without an appointment and they indicated me just to buy some coolant and refill If the car was not overheating.
There has never been any warning of overheating, I regularly drive with engine temperature displayed and it has been right below the OK mark in the middle of the range.

I purchased BMW coolant and refilled after letting the car cool overnight.
After driving for less than 2 weeks the level is again close to minimum level when cold.
Next Monday I have an appointment to get the car checked.

I find it very disappointing there is not even an electronic warning signal when coolant is low, and it can´t be normal to have to refill coolant more often than refilling fuel...

I wonder If the vapor from the oil indicates a failure in the head gasket? This scares me the most, the car may never be properly fixed.

I will post some news after visiting the dealer .

Anyone else finds vapor coming out of engine oil fill opening with a hot engine when turned off?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.