Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Had the OBD connected to my Mini 2016 F56 yesterday and I noticed the coolant temp reaching red line within 5 mins of the journey. The temperature was hoovering around 105-107 degree Celsius. The digital temp gauge never went over the middle and I regularly check my coolant levels and top up if necessary.

Is this normal temperature for the F56?

For reference I plugged the OBD in my Nissan Qashqai Diesel today and the same temp never exceeded 79 degree celsius but diesel engines run a bit cooler than petrol engines anyway.

Just wanted others opinion and was wondering if anyone measured their normal running temperatures?

·
Registered
2021 F56 S stick Paddy Hopkirk, '12 Coupe S, 13 Roadster S, 14 Countryman S
129 Posts
The old R series PRINCE motor ran at 189C in sport mode, and 220 or so in non-sport mode

·
Registered
2021 F56 S stick Paddy Hopkirk, '12 Coupe S, 13 Roadster S, 14 Countryman S
129 Posts
I don't but actively googling ... :) update I did not find a source I feel comfortable quoting. Checked manual etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't but actively googling ... :)
Thanks, i did some googling too, seems the thermostat on the F56 opens at 103 degree celsius so I think the temp might be about right. Although, you would think that the valve should be fully open at 103 degree and the temp should idle around 100 and not 105-107. That's why I ask here, if others have noted their temps, just in case there is something wrong with mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Totally normal, I had a gauge pod plugged into OBD reading temps for a long time. There is a bit more efficiency and emissions compliance to be gained if the engine operates a bit warmer. The BMW B-series engine is up to all kinds of modern tricks (mostly good). I believe the engine is also actively controlling coolant flow to some extent, not just a passive thermostat, because the harder I drove the coolant temp actually went down, and when cruising it went back up for efficiency. I also noticed the actual reading fluctuates significantly, but only briefly, if coming to a stop, likely an artifact of where the temp is reading not the bulk temperature of the cooling system. But instead of explaining all this to customers, they just give you a simple gauge to let you know you're fine. Keeping driving, no worries at all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's reassuring.. I was otherwise looking into flushing coolant... Changing thermostat and all sorts! Thanks again for the informative post 🙏🙂

·
Registered
103 Posts
hi, i have the non official app, AndroidAuto and you do get engine temp and oil temp. According to the app, usually Engine temp, which i think is the one you're referring to, varies between 103C and 107C, i think it topped 108C but then goes back to 102-103C under use, i noticed it doesn't matter if i am flooring it or not, not that big change.

·
Registered
103 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts