Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering a new or newish 5 door Hatchback as a second car. I think a Cooper or Cooper D is probably what we are after. I will test drive both next week to see which engine suits us.

I have noticed that there are quite a few pre-reg cars at some way below the price I expect to have to pay new. I have also seen that Motorpoint (and presumably other similar places) have a lot of Cooper D Chilli / Media XL typically 12-18 months old with 10k miles and around £13k. This seems quite a tempting price.

However, I would like to have reversing sensors or camera, and heated seats would be preferable. None of the Motorpoint ones I can find have these options. I have a few questions

1.Can reversing sensors/camera be retrofitted at a sensible price, preferably by Mini, or at least a reputable place?

2. I assume heated seats would not be practical to retrofit?

3. This car is likely to do about 8-10k miles a year with us, and we'll probably hang on to it until the wheels fall off, so depreciation isn't a concern, but reliability is. Do the 1.5 petrol and diesel engines have a similar reputation?

Any other suggestions would be welcome. I'm new to Mini, although I do drive BMWs, so I know the dealers.

Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
We are considering a new or newish 5 door Hatchback as a second car. I think a Cooper or Cooper D is probably what we are after. I will test drive both next week to see which engine suits us.

I have noticed that there are quite a few pre-reg cars at some way below the price I expect to have to pay new. I have also seen that Motorpoint (and presumably other similar places) have a lot of Cooper D Chilli / Media XL typically 12-18 months old with 10k miles and around £13k. This seems quite a tempting price.

However, I would like to have reversing sensors or camera, and heated seats would be preferable. None of the Motorpoint ones I can find have these options. I have a few questions

1.Can reversing sensors/camera be retrofitted at a sensible price, preferably by Mini, or at least a reputable place?

2. I assume heated seats would not be practical to retrofit?

3. This car is likely to do about 8-10k miles a year with us, and we'll probably hang on to it until the wheels fall off, so depreciation isn't a concern, but reliability is. Do the 1.5 petrol and diesel engines have a similar reputation?

Any other suggestions would be welcome. I'm new to Mini, although I do drive BMWs, so I know the dealers.

Thanks

Yes to reversing sensors through mini if you have the XL it will integrate.

Heading seats could be, but i can't find anywhere that does an OEM fitting, so it's likely to be pricey.

Both seems to be good, I would personally get the petrol for that kind of mileage only because it's one **** of an engine.

You can certainly get a good deal st the moment, I got mine before Christmas from park lane mini (cooper, chilli, media) with 7000 miles on it, for £13k. I got a £750 discount to bring it to where I needed to be personally on finance.

The car itself looks new, barely even run in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks AarnMunro - I have yet to drive either, although I think the petrol engine may be the same as the one in a 116i loan car I borrowed. The badge didn't look promising, but I was very impressed with the engine. I will try both next week.

You may be right about insufficient miles for a diesel. I was just aware that on the used market, particularly at places like Motorpoint, diesels seem to outnumber petrols by a substantial margin. Perhaps these engines are too young to work out which is likely to run better for a decade or more, and 100k miles.

Mrobins - that's good news if reversing sensors can be added at a sensible price to a Media XL car - it means I have a much wider choice of used cars. I guess petrol may suit better for our use, in part because my other car is a diesel auto, so I would enjoy the change. I look forward to trying them both.

Your deal sounds very good. I would prefer to buy from a Mini dealer if possible, even paying a small premium to the car supermarket price, as it makes life easier to get minor faults corrected. Anything major is covered by warranty either way.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
Lots of non oem sensors available but adding oem stuff to minis is notoriously difficult. If you trawl the dealer second hand network you will find one with the options you want. I just pxed my 2014 Cooper with 15k miles on it and tlc .had full media xl Harmon kardon heated half lesther heated front screen and mini sold it for 14k!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
jeremy - I'm sure you're right that it would be better to find one with the right kit to start with. On the Mini site it doesn't appear to be possible (or at least I haven't worked out how) to filter for heated seats and parking sensors. The other factor here is that there seem to be groups of similarly specified pre-reg, or just a few month old cars which are very good prices. So it's helpful to know if retro-fit is possible, so that I can consider these cars.

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
I just trawled the coopers (had decided on petrol) and looked for the added options on the tab then. Hard work i know. But adding anything seems expensive or thats whatadvice from this forum would have you believe and i think it is correct from what our factory tour told us.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jeremy. I guess I need to start narrowing down the choice a little in areas where it does allow me to filter.

I think our ideal spec would be probably be Chilli, Media XL, heated seats, parking sensors, 15 or probably 16" wheels with non runflats, LED lights would be good, not much chrome, dark colour.

I may have to search for a while to find all of that at a sensible price!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Lots of non oem sensors available but adding oem stuff to minis is notoriously difficult. If you trawl the dealer second hand network you will find one with the options you want. I just pxed my 2014 Cooper with 15k miles on it and tlc .had full media xl Harmon kardon heated half lesther heated front screen and mini sold it for 14k!

Wish I'd found that. I would of been all over it. The one I got was the best spec'd cooper with reasonable miles

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'd certainly have petrol, I have one and never cease to amaze me :D

A friend is a manager at Motordepot and they have loads of MINI's, they have a deal with MINI to buy returned financed vehicle if MINI don't want them.

I was looking at pre reg'd and couldn't find the exact spec I wanted so my dealer had one built to what I wanted and it cost no more! Had to do a lot of bartering mind and threatening to walk away if they couldn't do the deal I wanted ;)

Parking sensors can be added later, not sure about heated seats but guess if possible it will be very expensive!

Good luck with the search and if you want my friends details for a better deal than advertised then give me a shout :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are a couple more things it would be helpful to know

It would be good to be able to carry up to 3 bikes occasionally. Do I need the bike rack preparation option? Clearly the greater the number of options required, the less likely I'll be able to pick up a used / pre-reg / stock car. So is a roof rack a sensible alternative on a Mini for occasional use?

Are the ordinary halogen lights reasonably ok? I appreciate that the LED lights will be a lot better, and I would prefer them, but wondered what those with halogen thought of them. On most BMWs, they seem to make halogens deliberately poor, to encourage the upgrade.

·
Registered
181 Posts
There are a couple more things it would be helpful to know

It would be good to be able to carry up to 3 bikes occasionally. Do I need the bike rack preparation option? Clearly the greater the number of options required, the less likely I'll be able to pick up a used / pre-reg / stock car. So is a roof rack a sensible alternative on a Mini for occasional use?

Are the ordinary halogen lights reasonably ok? I appreciate that the LED lights will be a lot better, and I would prefer them, but wondered what those with halogen thought of them. On most BMWs, they seem to make halogens deliberately poor, to encourage the upgrade.

Halogens are actually ok, I'd recommend having the additional spot lights fitted to the front as they make high beam a lot better, as they cover the lower road well.

Also remember that you can add better bulbs, I recently fitted Phillips Brilliance White bulbs, they run at 4300k which is fairly white, completely legal and add more light to the road. They look fairly white, not xenon good but much better than standard.

If you want maximum light you can get Osram laser light which provide + 130% additional light, or Phillips Racing vision with +150% light over standard bulbs. These run at 3700k so they're not white but are brighter than standard bulbs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.