Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dealer rang me late this afternoon to say they needed my car in for 'an enhancement' aka a recall.
Basically they need to update the cars software as there is a risk of the dual mass flywheel failing due to the way the stop start system is programmed.
My car has covered 8,500 miles in 12 weeks and they said they would like it in sooner rather than later in view of my mileage
. It is an hour job to be done while
I wait. I was offered a Monday or Tuesday slot which surprised me . In the event due to my busy work schedule it is being done Friday.
I wonder if this recall has been prompted by a premature clutch failure somewhere?

·
Registered
303 Posts
My Dealer rang me late this afternoon to say they needed my car in for 'an enhancement' aka a recall.
Basically they need to update the cars software as there is a risk of the dual mass flywheel failing due to the way the stop start system is programmed.
My car has covered 8,500 miles in 12 weeks and they said they would like it in sooner rather than later in view of my mileage
. It is an hour job to be done while
I wait. I was offered a Monday or Tuesday slot which surprised me . In the event due to my busy work schedule it is being done Friday.
I wonder if this recall has been prompted by a premature clutch failure somewhere?
Thanks OlliesGrandad for your post about the Cooper D update... I called my dealer at 9 o'clock this morning (Monday 15th December) and they invited me to bring my car in.

The software update took 45 minutes and my car is now being washed. If I can find any difference in the Stop/Start function - I'll update this post.

BTW: I hope your update will be equally fast as, apparently, depending upon the software version on your car - the update can take a couple of hours (once the car is plugged-in, the technician can confirm the wait time).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks OlliesGrandad for your post about the Cooper D update... I called my dealer at 9 o'clock this morning (Monday 15th December) and they invited me to bring my car in.

The software update took 45 minutes and my car is now being washed. If I can find any difference in the Stop/Start function - I'll update this post.

BTW: I hope your update will be equally fast as, apparently, depending upon the software version on your car - the update can take a couple of hours (once the car is plugged-in, the technician can confirm the wait time).
Interesting that they were able to get your car in so quickly. It clearly is something they want to get done quickly. My car was delivered 8th September so hopefully the software is fairly recent. They said it would take an hour (I told them I don't want it washed).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Seems like my dealership were keen to get their first car updated... they're only just about ready to contact their Cooper D customers and were surprised when I called them.

My car was built in June - so I'd imagine that your car will be a quick & easy update too.

BTW: They didn't warn me, and almost all of my dashboard settings had reset to the default position - plus the tyre-pressure was asking for recalibration. It also took about 30 minutes for the Stop/Start to become available... but it all seems to be working just as before.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
took car into dealer this morning to be told the call centre shouldn't have booked it as a waiting job as the time ot do the software update can vary. In the event when they plugged it in it was a 2.75 hour update. Still they lent me a BMW 118Se auto so it wasn't a disaster. some settings on my car have changed but not all.

·
Registered
303 Posts
took car into dealer this morning to be told the call centre shouldn't have booked it as a waiting job as the time ot do the software update can vary. In the event when they plugged it in it was a 2.75 hour update. Still they lent me a BMW 118Se auto so it wasn't a disaster. some settings on my car have changed but not all.
Hi again - your car's software update took much longer than mine... do you have options like Media XL/SatNav by any chance (I don't)??

If you do, perhaps this explains the difference?

I've also noticed the MINI logo now appears on the screen upon start-up... which I'd never noticed before - and I think the BE MINI message on shut-down has gone... I'll have to check again today.

There are definite differences in the system - I tend to use the Green Mode on motorways and the heavy-foot & gear-shift images do not seem to appear so quickly.

My major software bugbear - that the readout for the cruise-control stays in MPH when the rest of the dashboard is switched to KM/H (my car is driven frequently in Europe) - has still not been addressed.... apparently it's on the to-do list.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have parking assistant, driving assistant and chili pack.
Like you said the tyre monitor had to reset.
As an aside although not quite at minimum the oil was low so they asked if they could top it up.(£18 for a litre of oil), but they didn't charge me for any fuel because of the mix up and I did about 80 miles with the loan car.
I will look out for any other changes!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have parking assistant, driving assistant and chili pack.
Like you said the tyre monitor had to reset.
As an aside although not quite at minimum the oil was low so they asked if they could top it up.(£18 for a litre of oil), but they didn't charge me for any fuel because of the mix up and I did about 80 miles with the loan car.
I will look out for any other changes!
That probably explains the difference in update times - there's a lot of code in the parking/driving assistant packages.

Re: oil top-up, the electronic system on mine always seems to show 3-quarters full so I followed the handbook instructions & used the dipstick to top-up when it was just below the 3-quarter mark... the cheapest I could find the correct BMW-spec Castrol Edge was £14.70 for a litre bottle - so £18 at the dealer wasn't bad.

My car has done 8k miles now and the oil consumption seems to be minimal. None of my previous MINI Cooper models used much oil - but this is my first diesel... and I think the 3-pot engine is amazing!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: oil top ups. If you have TLC it now includes all oil tops.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
303 Posts
My understanding of oil top-ups & TLC accords with OlliesGrandad... do you have a document which confirms that the TLC package has been changed??

·
Registered
235 Posts
My understanding of oil top-ups & TLC accords with OlliesGrandad... do you have a document which confirms that the TLC package has been changed??
BMW included it with the equivalent BMW car packages, when I collected my Cooper D last Friday I was informed that MINI was now including oil top ups and this would also be back dated to include any TLC package purchased from Mar 13.

Reactions: jeremybingham
1 - 16 of 16 Posts