Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know for sure in what conditions the turbo pressure is increased to go from 220 to 230 N.m?

Does it allways occur between a rpm interval? Only when the engine is at running temperature? Everytime you floor it? Just wondering if I can count with full power everytime.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
My application may not be the same as a stock JCW, but it does kick in after an interval in the longer gears, 3rd-4th. It is significant. Which Cooper do you have? It feels and sounds like it does so above 5,000 RPM's though. I really don't watch the gauges as it requires taking my eyes off the road/track. Tachometer in the chrono pack would be a lot more useful to me than the lap timer!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Overboost kicks in when you kickdown, or floor it for a second. There's a little switch on the pedal that triggers it - if you push the pedal down in your car (with the car off) you'll feel it click - this is what activates the kickdown feature which in addition to overboosting, will also automatically shift down a gear or two on the auto trans.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Overboost kicks in when you kickdown, or floor it for a second. There's a little switch on the pedal that triggers it - if you push the pedal down in your car (with the car off) you'll feel it click - this is what activates the kickdown feature which in addition to overboosting, will also automatically shift down a gear or two on the auto trans.
I will check this out, I generally use manual mode when performance driving and most of that is 3rd and 4th gears. I will leave it in automatic mode and try it. It may have already happened and I possibly mistook it for a downshift!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts