Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who asked for feedback about fixing the occasional rear suspension clonk on Coopers and S models (and Mini Ones too possibly) with non adjustable dampers, or shock absorbers, I can confirm that the replacement of one unit on the drivers side of my Mini has cured the noise.
Donna previously mentioned success in her case, but now I have had it done as well I thought I would reaffirm it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
For those who asked for feedback about fixing the occasional rear suspension clonk on Coopers and S models (and Mini Ones too possibly) with non adjustable dampers, or shock absorbers, I can confirm that the replacement of one unit on the drivers side of my Mini has cured the noise.
Donna previously mentioned success in her case, but now I have had it done as well I thought I would reaffirm it.
Thanks for the follow-up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hi, thanks for you open the tread,

could you clear confirm which part/what part(replacement of one unit on the drivers side)

for replacement!!!

thanks a lot

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The shock absorber (damper) was changed on the rear right hand side, looking forward. Or drivers side for UK cars.

On re-reading my post I can see that I didn't make it clear what was actually changed! Apologies.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
235 Posts
The shock absorber (damper) was changed on the rear right hand side, looking forward. Or drivers side for UK cars.

On re-reading my post I can see that I didn't make it clear what was actually changed! Apologies.

Hope that helps!
How old is the car, and did they also change the opposite side, dampers should only be changed in pairs.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
How old is the car, and did they also change the opposite side, dampers should only be changed in pairs.
The car is nearly a year old having covered 6500miles and the noise was there pretty well from the start, but when I went in for the spare wheel nut recall I mentioned it and they said to book it in for a check, heard the noise and they replaced the damper.

Of course used dampers should be replaced in pairs, and I pointed this out to them but my particular dealership insisted in only changing the "faulty" one, as they are both relatively "young", and will change the other if required if it too becomes noisy.
I would have preferred both to be changed at the one time, and that is normal practice I would have thought, certainly used to be, but I am happy with the result anyway.

The handling has always been brilliant and the change in dampers has not affected it.

Bob, the faulty damper could be on either side, if not both. In my case it was the drivers side but could easily have been the other side, just depends where it was put!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The car is nearly a year old having covered 6500miles and the noise was there pretty well from the start, but when I went in for the spare wheel nut recall I mentioned it and they said to book it in for a check, heard the noise and they replaced the damper.

Of course used dampers should be replaced in pairs, and I pointed this out to them but my particular dealership insisted in only changing the "faulty" one, as they are both relatively "young", and will change the other if required if it too becomes noisy.
I would have preferred both to be changed at the one time, and that is normal practice I would have thought, certainly used to be, but I am happy with the result anyway.

The handling has always been brilliant and the change in dampers has not affected it.

Bob, the faulty damper could be on either side, if not both. In my case it was the drivers side but could easily have been the other side, just depends where it was put!
Was the "clonk" there all the time or was it just intermittent going over certain bumps/surfaces? I ask because sometimes my car makes a noise I'm not so sure it should when going over bumps, although it sounds like it's coming from the front and not the rear. It's not overly loud either, so perhaps it's in my head after reading up on certain things.

I have Adaptive Dampers. Is the fault known to affect cars with these installed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was the "clonk" there all the time or was it just intermittent going over certain bumps/surfaces? I ask because sometimes my car makes a noise I'm not so sure it should when going over bumps, although it sounds like it's coming from the front and not the rear. It's not overly loud either, so perhaps it's in my head after reading up on certain things.

I have Adaptive Dampers. Is the fault known to affect cars with these installed?

Thanks.
In my case it was intermittent and unpredictable. The noise was absolutely coming from behind me, never from the front.

I think adaptive dampers have been guilty too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In my case it was intermittent and unpredictable. The noise was absolutely coming from behind me, never from the front.

I think adaptive dampers have been guilty too.

Ok thanks. I've only covered a few hundred miles right now, so I'm not entirely sure if I do have a suspension "clonk" or not. The noise I have seems to be intermittent and is only excessive at particular speeds/bumps. Other times the suspension is very quiet. It's a shame no one has a recording so I can compare the noise.

I guess for now I'll continue to monitor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, I've booked my car in next week for the dealer to take a look into this. I almost certainly have a noise that shouldn't be there.

Let's hope they a) replicate the noise and 2) do something to sort it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Keep us up to date!
Well the dealer couldn't replicate the noise and after a good look over all the suspension, with some "minor adjustments", they are unable to fault it. I've been told to continue to monitor and take it back if the suspension doesn't bed in over the next few months.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey there I know this is a really old thread but I have a 2019 mini Cooper S and I hear a weird clunk at times, I thought it could’ve been something in my trunk area but even when it’s completely empty I hear it, does anyone have a newer mini Cooper and hear a rear clunk?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts